Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

I don't do much posting on here, as this is my wife's vehicle. We just moved to Arizona about a month ago and her gorgeous white crew cab desert runner was stolen in Phoenix around the Thomas/56th intersection area.

It has about 15k miles on her and had a 1.5" spacer lift, mud terrains with 18" custom drilled fuel assault rims. It also had a Pioneer touch screen AVH radio, pioneer door speakers all around, and a custom 10" kicker sub with a fiberglass box under the rear passenger seat.

It was stolen early in the morning Friday, September 2nd between 11pm (Thursday) and 5:30am Friday. A report with the police was filed immediately and as of today nothing has been reported and it hasn't been seen.

Just figured I would post up to the frontier community in case anyone sees the vehicle and/or any of these items for sale in and/or around the Phoenix area.

Here's to hoping they find it in one piece and that the insurance company doesn't screw us with its value!

I am on my phone, as soon as I'm at home I'll add the pictures.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Sorry about what happened. You're allowed to shoot car thieves in Arizona right?

·
Admin
3,285 Posts
Man that sucks. Very sorry to hear this. Best of luck for a good result in this situation.

·
Super Moderator
10,434 Posts
In the days of chipped security keys how do you steal a vehicle ?
Best of luck and hope when it's found its in good shape.
I despise thieves and caught one as a 24 year old in my driveway and introduced him to a Louisville slugger and broke his leg, I'd say he learned a lesson and hope the pain was brutal. You can't do anything with a gun outside in NJ.

Clint

·
Registered
559 Posts
A co worker of mine had his Dodge Ram stolen in Phoenix It was found a few days later in the valley (Phoenix). With the amount of miles on it the police speculated it was ran down to the Mexican border and hauled illegals or drugs back to the valley. It was dirty but no real damage.

I hope things work out for you. If it can't be found, I hope your insurance treats you well.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Appreciate the love guys...the fact they haven't found it on blocks in the desert yet is encouraging, but ita hard to believe it won't be torn apart with the add-ons we had to it. Nonetheless thanks for the kind words and I'm still hoping for the best.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I live up in Flagstaff. I'll keep an eye out as I'm roaming around town, but your truck more likely went south as you speculated. Sorry to hear about the truck. Do you have a picture of the truck you can share with us?

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Hidden kill switch.

Make 'em work for it!

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
We just moved to Arizona about a month ago and her gorgeous white crew cab desert runner was stolen in Phoenix.
1. I lived in Phoenix 45 years, went to college there, stayed because I had a job (1 employer for over 40 years).

2. I've found Phoenix area to be pretty morally bankrupt.

3. My guess is that the police took your report by phone, didn't bother to even come to your location. Welcome to 2016 Phoenix.

4. My 2nd guess is that you won't find the insurance company as friendly and accommodating as in the TV commercials.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I appreciate you all chiming in and keeping a lookout...Well, they found the truck. Attached are before and after pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1. I lived in Phoenix 45 years, went to college there, stayed because I had a job (1 employer for over 40 years).

2. I've found Phoenix area to be pretty morally bankrupt.

3. My guess is that the police took your report by phone, didn't bother to even come to your location. Welcome to 2016 Phoenix.

4. My 2nd guess is that you won't find the insurance company as friendly and accommodating as in the TV commercials.
Yeaaaah, we are trying to buy a home from Scottsdale, seems to be a better area than Phoenix...They actually took the report in person fortunately.

Anyone know how insurance even works in this situation? Do they cut you a check for current book value as if you would buy the same used truck? Or do they hammer you and give you trade in?

Of course the wheels, rims, and all audio equipment was stolen.

·
Super Moderator
10,434 Posts
The check will be to replace what's missing or damaged, how does the other side look? The body shop will check out the brakes and suspension parts that hit the ground.
Good luck and hope it's just superficial damage.

Clint

·
Registered
161 Posts
Yeaaaah, we are trying to buy a home from Scottsdale, seems to be a better area than Phoenix...They actually took the report in person fortunately.

Anyone know how insurance even works in this situation? Do they cut you a check for current book value as if you would buy the same used truck? Or do they hammer you and give you trade in?

Of course the wheels, rims, and all audio equipment was stolen.
Dude first off, what happened blows.

To your insurance question, it depends on what insurance company you have. I have State Farm and knock on wood they've been awesome to me in all my years with them. I've never had a car stolen, hopefully it stays that way but I have had 2 cars totalled. One due to a flood and one due to being rear ended while dead stopped. One time they paid me the higher of the NADA or KBB value. The other time since my car was too new, no traditional (KBB, NADA etc) used car valuation was available, they looked at the value of other used cars on AutoTrader.com and Cars.com and gave me what the higher end of the spectrum went for. IIRC they also included part of the appicable sales tax, so like if i paid $1000, on the new car and car is now worth 70%, they paid me 70% of what I had paid for sales tax.

This could vary by insurance company though.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Dude first off, what happened blows.

To your insurance question, it depends on what insurance company you have. I have State Farm and knock on wood they've been awesome to me in all my years with them. I've never had a car stolen, hopefully it stays that way but I have had 2 cars totalled. One due to a flood and one due to being rear ended while dead stopped. One time they paid me the higher of the NADA or KBB value. The other time since my car was too new, no traditional (KBB, NADA etc) used car valuation was available, they looked at the value of other used cars on AutoTrader.com and Cars.com and gave me what the higher end of the spectrum went for. IIRC they also included part of the appicable sales tax, so like if i paid $1000, on the new car and car is now worth 70%, they paid me 70% of what I had paid for sales tax.

This could vary by insurance company though.
Thanks man.

So we also have state farm, what I have read about auto insurance and totaled vehicles is they need to give us the amount to go purchase the exact same vehicle from a local DEALER. I have also read they must include cost to purchase the vehicle, such as taxes, registration, and fees. There are only three 4-door 2014 desert runners for sale on cars.com in the entire COUNTRY...the cheapest is a black one with 18k miles for $23,700. NADA has a clean retail of $23,500. My hope is to get at least that for it, plus an additional $2k for taxes/fees/etc. We owe $19k so if I can get a $26k check or so, I should be able to buy one and make it look the same with the upgrades.

The check will be to replace what's missing or damaged, how does the other side look? The body shop will check out the brakes and suspension parts that hit the ground.
Good luck and hope it's just superficial damage.

Clint
The body really isn't too bad, they scratched off the decals so the paint is all scratched up, the windows are smashed in, parts were stolen in the engine bay it seems, radio is of course gone, and the wheels are gone...

We don't ever want to see it again, so they better total it or we will be livid. What do you think the chances are they won't want to total it? Can you fight this?

·
Premium Member
12,049 Posts
i can tell you from the picture they will not want to total it. you may need to fight for the totaling out.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i can tell you from the picture they will not want to total it. you may need to fight for the totaling out.
Yeah we will definitely fight it, not that they will care, but we will argue how much work we had into it that we aren't getting back from them because insurance wont cover rims and tires (which is b/s by the way). Fingers crossed.

·
Super Moderator
10,434 Posts
I believe damages have to be about 75-80% of its current value to be a total loss.
I understand you not wanting it back, hope it all works out for you.

Clint

Yeah we will definitely fight it, not that they will care, but we will argue how much work we had into it that we aren't getting back from them because insurance wont cover rims and tires (which is b/s by the way). Fingers crossed.
For what it's worth new Nissan rims are far more expensive than afternarket ones.

Clint

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I believe damages have to be about 75-80% of its current value to be a total loss.
I understand you not wanting it back, hope it all works out for you.

Clint

For what it's worth new Nissan rims are far more expensive than afternarket ones.

Clint
Yeah we just got off the phone with them, they don't want to total it, so we are having them tow it to Nissan so we can have them assess the damages (hopefully they will be the most expensive).

Regardless, we are going to get rid of it if they won't total it.

·
Super Moderator
10,434 Posts
Was the truck stolen by towing it? How did they disable the immobilizer and drive without a key?
Air bags there? They are pricey and can put it over the threshold.

Clint

1 - 20 of 45 Posts