Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking in the (2014-2016) year range for a "new to me" frontier. Wondering if they're are any known problems, advantages, or differences between these 3 years?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
554 Posts
I have a 2016 Pro 4x. I have had it a little over 1 year. No issues that I am aware of. There has been no major changes between a 2014,2015 or 2016 Frontier. The body style has been around since 2005. There may be some minor additions to the interior that I am not aware of. Basically the years in question, it is the same truck.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Admittedly I'm new to owning one of these trucks, but in looking into various upgrades, options, etc, it looks like in 2008 or so they revised the grille, headlights, and front bumper slightly (new ones are ~80mm further forward, or ~3 inches), and in 2010 or so they revised the center stack of the dashboard where the radio and HVAC controls are mounted, possibly revising the wiring to both as well.

It also looks like the radio change was the biggest change, where more trim packages had the color screen with Bluetooth as standard equipment compared to 2014.

·
Premium Member
6,065 Posts
TONS of info by year here:

https://ppg.nissanproduct.info

Big thing for me was that Nissan quit putting their 6-sp manual in KC trucks beginning in '16. In retrospect, SO GLAD I didn't wait a year to get my truck.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Yeah those years are all pretty similar if I remember correctly. 2013 there was some body changes I think like the rear spoiler tailgate cap.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
I think in that range, '14-'16, you're out of the problems, meaning the trucks been pretty well sorted out. So if you find one you like in the configuration, with all the options and with the lowest possible miles you'll be in good shape.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
795 Posts
My 2014 SV didn't have bluetooth audio. Which is silly, since other entry level cars at that time all came with it. Aside from that, the newer ones aren't much different.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I had a 2014 SV and the bluetooth worked fine BUT would not play music off my phone. Our 2012 Mazda could do that... I now have a 2015 SL and it does all that fine but my feeling is that is due to the different decks (the 15 has the Rockford Fosgate system). Other than that, I don't see any problems with any of these years, you should be fine.

·
Premium Member
6,065 Posts
My '15 SV pairs well w/ iPhone (5S) via Bluetooth for handsfree communication. For music, I use an iPod in the center console via the USB port. Am thinking that some years (maybe '16?) have had the USB port closer to the gloveboxes/12v ports on dash??

·
Premium Member
1,913 Posts
Looking in the (2014-2016) year range for a "new to me" frontier. Wondering if they're are any known problems, advantages, or differences between these 3 years?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
only differences will be in infotainment (headunit), age/mileage, and previous owner mess (that should be cleaned up by dealer detailers BUT they don't always find everything.... especially the spilled juiceboxes that soaked through hte carpet).

Functionally they're all the same. All the bugs have been worked out, save infotainment quirks. Don't think Nissan Connect ever really worked 'as designed'. But that's just as much the fault of phone mfrs as anyone else.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I got a '16 pro4x and no problems.... except one when I first got it.... I guess off the line some didn't have their power steering connector hose tightened all the way.... had to get it towed to dealer, was fixed for free as known problem.... besides that I f***ing love this thing! Goes straight up or down whatever rocky place I take it too!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts