Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I previously posted this in the new member forum and this may not be the correct forum.
I am looking at 2014 Pro4X and the axle is locking in 4hi in turns without the locker switch turned on. Is there a servo, motor or module that controls the locker that would cause this. It works correctly in 2wd. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,392 Posts
If going by your introduction post, you had the 4wd engaged on dry pavement and are turning. The 4WD in the frontier is NOT an AWD system. It has no ability to allow the front and rear axles to slip and this causes the driveline to bind up. I am 99% sure there is no issue with the truck. Scroll down to chapter 5 on the owner's manual. It explains things a little bit more. It starts at section 5-25

https://owners.nissanusa.com/conten.../Frontier/2016/2016-Frontier-owner-manual.pdf

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If going by your introduction post, you had the 4wd engaged on dry pavement and are turning. The 4WD in the frontier is NOT an AWD system. It has no ability to allow the front and rear axles to slip and this causes the driveline to bind up. I am 99% sure there is no issue with the truck. Scroll down to chapter 5 on the owner's manual. It explains things a little bit more. It starts at section 5-25

https://owners.nissanusa.com/conten.../Frontier/2016/2016-Frontier-owner-manual.pdf
Thank you that is the information that I was looking for and thank you for the manual.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Thank you that is the information that I was looking for and thank you for the manual.
I just want to point out you're not alone with this issue. I've heard of plenty of people that have no idea how the 4x4 system works in trucks and real SUVs. Makes me wonder if dealerships don't explain it on purpose so when things break they can fix them. On the flip side of engaging it when it maybe shouldn't be, I've also heard of/seen people not use it when they should. As in Jeeps struggling in rear-wheel drive because they don't know they can pull a lever to make all 4 spin. They know how to take that top off in the summer though.

·
Registered
6,568 Posts
If you have stock size tires you can drive in 4wd on pavement without breaking anything. I do if often in the winter time in parking lots that are a mix if ice and pavement. Chirp a tire but it doesn't seem to hurt anything.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just want to point out you're not alone with this issue. I've heard of plenty of people that have no idea how the 4x4 system works in trucks and real SUVs. Makes me wonder if dealerships don't explain it on purpose so when things break they can fix them. On the flip side of engaging it when it maybe shouldn't be, I've also heard of/seen people not use it when they should. As in Jeeps struggling in rear-wheel drive because they don't know they can pull a lever to make all 4 spin. They know how to take that top off in the summer though.
I made and assumption that the rear tires would use braking like my 05 pathfinder does rather than locking the diff because of the electronic locking option.

·
Registered
96 Posts
It doesn't actually lock the diff in 4 HI, it just connects in both diffs, so what you are feeling is a wheel in the front trying to turn a different rate than a wheel in the back. In an AWD car there is a diff in the center that allows the front and rear diff to slip from each other, but not so in a truck. The diff lock in the rear when flipped in will allow even less turning.

·
Premium Member
12,118 Posts
these trucks come with pretty detailed Manuals.
like couple hundred pages worth of information on your truck.

I would like to be spoon fed, puuuuuuleeeeessssse.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)

Well if you actually read the post you would realize that I don't own the vehicle and therefore do not have a manual. I am attempting purchase and was unsure about something so I came to this web in an attempt to find said information.

Well if you actually read the post you would realize that I don't own the vehicle and therefore do not have a manual. I am attempting purchase it and was unsure about something so I came to this web in and attempt to find said information.

·
Premium Member
12,118 Posts
the manual still has TONS of important information regarding your potential purchase.
it would have answered your question.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts