Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I was wondering if the only fix for the low idle vibration is to buy a programmer and bump up the low end idle points? The truck has 65K miles on it.....

If anyone has found other fixes, that would be good to hear about.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,410 Posts
Yr of Frontier?

Some Nissan dealerships may perform an idle bump-up. Kind of hit&miss. Hopefully you have choices and live near a few...should you not wish to buy a programmer.

·
Super Moderator
3,333 Posts
Any repair shop with a decent scan tool should be able to raise the base idle for you, or even bump up the ignition timing advance a little, if you with. Or, you could purchase a tuner, which really does make a difference in performance, even if you just go for an 87 octane performance tune.

·
Registered
2016 Frontier SV 4x4 Crew Cab
893 Posts
Does it stop or reduce significantly between drive and park/neutral. I notice mine shakes a lot more in drive at a stop so I usually slip it into neutral if I'm at a light for a bit...
Wonder if its just different hardness of motor mounts on some years, maybe climate plays a part who knows...

·
Super Moderator
3,333 Posts
Having worked as a Nissan tech in the past, most Nissan engines had a little roughness or vibration at idle. The VQ engines are no exception. I bumped my ignition timing advance by 3 degrees and increased the base idle to 750 RPM and it idles pretty good. It doesn't run as smooth as a Honda engine, but it's better than what it was before the adjustments.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Mine is smooth idling except when cold. Then, as the cold idle slows, it shakes very noticably between 1,000 and 900 rpm’s, then smooths out again.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Having worked as a Nissan tech in the past, most Nissan engines had a little roughness or vibration at idle. The VQ engines are no exception. I bumped my ignition timing advance by 3 degrees and increased the base idle to 750 RPM and it idles pretty good. It doesn't run as smooth as a Honda engine, but it's better than what it was before the adjustments.
[/QUOTE
How do we regular folks change those settings?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the feedback you all......
It for certain idles rougher when it's in gear, when you're stopped. When it's warming up in the AM the idle is "smooth" until it gets warm. Sometimes it runs rough when you're stopped, sometimes it doesn't run rough. I'm probably going to buy a programmer but wanted to see if I could actually find out what's causing the vibration.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts