Nissan Frontier Forum banner
41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Pics coming below, but I will point out that this was a TON more work than I expected. A simple swap of the head unit would have been super easy.... what I did (and what many of you have done int he past) is a much bigger project. My truck has been out of commission for a good 3 weeks.

Anyhow... I was able to get the rough wiring done, as stated above, and just about everything works perfectly. The crossovers work great and the amp wiring appears to be solid. I don't hear any alternator noise right now, but then again I'm not running the motor yet. The subwoofer didn't work for about a minute... and then it eventually kicked in (I was messing with settings so maybe I adjusted something and it started to work). And it sounds AWESOME.

A few quick points...

• The back-up camera works just fine, but doesn't come on "on-demand" which I expected since the power is being drawn from the reverse lights.
  • The song head unit has two USB ports, which was a requirement so I can run the Apple Carplay off the front and run a dedicated USB drive off the back (in the center console area). Getting the original USB plugs out in order to replace with these new ones was a complete pain in the ***. The one in the center console eventually came out after removing the back cupholder tray (why the King Cab has that is a mystery) but the hole is larger than my replacement plug, so I will have to make something. The front port was a generic 12v connector (cigarette lighter style port) and it took a good 15 minutes to figure out how to remove that... !! My replacement USB port looks stock.
  • The Sony deck's USB reading capabilities kinda blow... The spec said it would read WMA files, which is perfect since I have all my music stored as lossless WMA files. However, this unit only reads low-quality WMA files, not the lossless file type... it DOES, however, read FLAC files so I am in the process of converting the WMA to FLAC.
  • Steering wheel controls work perfectly out of the box. I only had to program the head unit to understand the volume up and down toggle, otherwise it was easy
  • I removed the Bluetooth module from under the passenger seat and clipped the bypass connector into the harness. Easy to do, but the instructions didn't say which end the connector attached to (under the seat or the harness connection at the head unit). Had to call Crutchfield for that.
  • and finally, the SiriusXM radio... it is almost a waste of time and resources, but I have a 6 month subscription from my previous car still in effect so I decided to add that. The head unit is SiriusXM "ready" which essentially means nothing other than it can accept the connection and run the box... you still have to buy the SiriusXM receiver and plug into the head unit (it sits inside the dash) AND then you have to buy a stupid $12 adapter for the antenna connection since the SiriusXM tuner doesn't accept the FAKRA OEM antenna connection that IO believe is used in most cars that already have a SiriusXM antenna (which is almost most cars now, right??) So dumb.

Ok, more to come!

·
Premium Member
7,109 Posts
My truck has been out of commission for a good 3 weeks.
Count the actual labor hours, not the days, captain.

The back-up camera works just fine, but doesn't come on "on-demand" which I expected since the power is being drawn from the reverse lights.
As long as the head unit is powered up, you should be able to press Home > Rear Camera to show the camera view without being in reverse gear.

The head unit is SiriusXM "ready" which essentially means nothing other than it can accept the connection and run the box... you still have to buy the SiriusXM receiver and plug into the head unit (it sits inside the dash) AND then you have to buy a stupid $12 adapter for the antenna connection since the SiriusXM tuner doesn't accept the FAKRA OEM antenna connection that IO believe is used in most cars that already have a SiriusXM antenna
Yeah... anything "-ready" means it's not there. The FAKRA antenna part was annoying too, I completely understand how you feel LOL

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 · (Edited)
Haha... yeah but even my time is like 48 hours! I was just referring to the fact that a straight head unit swap would have maybe been a weekend... this was much more involved, but I learned a lot about the truck, which is great.

Ok, so for some pictures and updates... First order of business (this is going back to BEFORE I tested the radio!) was to run the amp wiring. I found a rubber gasket under the driver's side firewall to run the amplifier power cable. I ran it into the engine compartment and attached to the existing wire bundle. I had to figure out where to install the amplifier fuse holder... I could have ziptied to something, but instead I install on top of the fusebox with screws. The first image below shows the hole I used... I put the rubber grommet in the hole once I had everything set up (not shown). I also caulked the hole closed. I insulated the amp wire with split loom.

Shoe Hood Automotive tire Tread Electrical wiring

Electricity Electrical wiring Audio equipment Computer hardware Electronic engineering

Hood Motor vehicle Car Vehicle Automotive exterior

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood

I also had to run the remote wire from the amplifier to the head unit. That was fairly straightforward. In addition, I had to figure out where to ground the amplifier I decided to use one of the seat bolts for this ... If I need to move the ground later I can. And, aside from the speaker wires, I had one final thing to work on... the rear camera! Here are some photos... I was able to run the wire under the truck (with split loom) and terminate all the wiring inside the left tail light assembly, which hides it all and also protects it from rain, etc. Took a while to get that installed under the truck and zip-tied nice and neat, but I love how it turned out. I don't have a ton of pictures here, but will take some once I get the truck out of the garage and into the sunlight.

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Vehicle

Motor vehicle Vehicle registration plate Automotive lighting Bumper Automotive exterior

These picture are from a few days ago... I'll get some better examples.

Once I had everything wired up it was time to test it out!! and it rocked!! and I didn't take any pictures...! But I will show you the unit soon.

BUT, I had to take everything apart so I could start putting the interior back together before I officially install the unit in the dash. I also had to wait for my caulk to dry in the various holes around the truck.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I started to put the interior back together... I was able to get the door panels back on and started on the back of the truck. So far, I haven't lost any screws or clips (YET)

Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Hood Trunk Vehicle Bumper Motor vehicle

The back was put together pretty easily as well. So far, everything fits.

Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Bumper Wood Gas

Motor vehicle Trunk Vehicle door Automotive exterior Vehicle

Also, wanted to point out that I HATE how the jack and tire iron fits in the back of the cab. I have found that getting the jack in and out of the small enclosure with the metal bracket to be very frustrating. Since my son will also be driving this, I wanted to simplify the process in case he needs to use it... so I clipped out the metal retaining bracket. I'm not really sure why it was even there to begin with... there is a rubber bungee already there to keep the jack in place. Anyhow, here is where I cut it out... it is SOOOO much easier to use this now.

Automotive tire Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Motor vehicle

I sanded down the remaining metal edges and covered with electrical tape to be sure no one would get cut. Works like a charm.

Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Wood Gas Flooring

·
Premium Member
7,109 Posts
I had to figure out where to ground the amplifier I decided to use one of the seat bolts for this ... If I need to move the ground later I can.
There are two giant bolts threaded into the body, under the rear of the center console; zero resistance and perfect for large amp ground straight to body metal without having to sandwich anything.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts