Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I recently had the rear left door speaker go bad. I went to crutchfield and ordered the Rockford fosgate R1675X2 to replace the rears. When I replaced them, I noticed the OEM speakers were 2ohm and the new ones are 4ohm. Got in after the replacement and these new ones are much quieter and do not have the same bass nor treble as the OEM ones. Does anyone have recommendations for me? I thought maybe it's because the factory radio isn't strong enough to run these new ones at full potential so maybe I need an amplifier? Should I send back these RFs and get 2ohm ones instead?

·
Premium Member
7,194 Posts
Hello everyone, I recently had the rear left door speaker go bad. I went to crutchfield and ordered the Rockford fosgate R1675X2 to replace the rears. When I replaced them, I noticed the OEM speakers were 2ohm and the new ones are 4ohm. Got in after the replacement and these new ones are much quieter and do not have the same bass nor treble as the OEM ones. Does anyone have recommendations for me? I thought maybe it's because the factory radio isn't strong enough to run these new ones at full potential so maybe I need an amplifier? Should I send back these RFs and get 2ohm ones instead?
That is normal.
They're not as loud because you replaced the OEM 2-ohm with aftermarket speakers with twice the resistance (4-ohm).
So yeah - you can do any of the following:

1. Swap to matching 2-ohm speakers
2. Get a 4-ohm amp just to power the rears (totally backwards SQ-wise, but that's a different topic)

FYI standard car audio is generally 4-ohm, but Nissan (and other vehicle brands as well) like to use 2-ohm to make cheap OEM speakers play louder.

·
Premium Member
7,388 Posts
Replace fronts w/ 4-ohm to even it up. You'll then need to turn your volume up louder than before which might lead you into replacing the head unit..........FTW!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Replace fronts w/ 4-ohm to even it up. You'll then need to turn your volume up louder than before which might lead you into replacing the head unit..........FTW!
Should I upgrade to the premium package headunit? Would an SV headunit fit in my S model?

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I replaced all 4 2ohm speakers with 6 4ohm's, they sound fine but as stated in raine's audio post my volume has been cut in half, so now I just run at close to full volume all the time. Would have considered a new head unit but could find none that could reliably (100%) function with steering wheel controls and blueteeth. Some were highly rated but still had many folks who couldn't get them to function fully, many took 2-3 replacements to find one that would work.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I replaced all 4 2ohm speakers with 6 4ohm's, they sound fine but as stated in raine's audio post my volume has been cut in half, so now I just run at close to full volume all the time.
I'm doing the same thing, Just ordered 4 kenwoods from crutchfield to replace the 1 blown rear speaker. I figure I'll run higher volume to make up for the higher ohm rating. If I decide to upgrade the head unit I'll already have the proper speakers in place.

·
Premium Member
7,388 Posts
The problem w/ factory head units is that they modify their output to protect the cheap OEM speakers by distorting the frequencies as one turns the volume up. @raine can explain this better. Best example is how we hear a factory car/truck stereo begin to 'blare' as the volume goes up towards max - the sounds separate and distort. My decent aftermarket system does not do this...it just gets louder, even to unsafe volume levels.

Always start w/ the head unit when trying to achieve fidelity. Factory units are lame, unfortunately. .02

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The problem w/ factory head units is that they modify their output to protect the cheap OEM speakers by distorting the frequencies as one turns the volume up. @raine can explain this better. Best example is how we hear a factory car/truck stereo begin to 'blare' as the volume goes up towards max - the sounds separate and distort. My decent aftermarket system does not do this...it just gets louder, even to unsafe volume levels.

Always start w/ the head unit when trying to achieve fidelity. Factory units are lame, unfortunately. .02
Oh yes, I heard the distortion when I turned it up to 70% of max and only had it coming out my new rear 4ohm to speakers. Right now I adjusted the fade to the rear on the radio to balance out the volume differences. This helped me get the volume up louder without making the 2ohm front speakers overpower the rears.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I like the look of OEM in the dash, aftermarket always reminds me of the cars I drove in high school, lol. I also don't want to loose the steering wheel controls. I know there are units I can get to make them work, but I really don't want to go there. If these speakers don't sound decent enough with the stock head unit I'll just return them probably and get a cheapo 2ohm speaker for the rear and be done with it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I like the look of OEM in the dash, I feel that aftermarket looks like the cars I had in high school, lol. I also don't want to loose the steering wheel controls. I know there are units I can get to make them work, but I really don't want to go there. If these speakers don't sound decent enough with the stock head unit I'll just return them probably and get a cheapo 2ohm speaker for the rear and be done with it.
So I found a seller on eBay that's selling new OEM 2ohm nissan ones for $40-$45. I'll consider getting them if I don't like the 4ohm ones

·
Registered
9 Posts
So I found a seller on eBay that's selling new OEM 2ohm nissan ones for $40-$45. I'll consider getting them if I don't like the 4ohm ones
That's a decent price. The only 6.5" 2 ohm on crutchfield was $170/pair!
Does anyone make a decent double din radio that looks good in these trucks, or a factory looking filler piece for a single din?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's a decent price. The only 6.5" 2 ohm on crutchfield was $170/pair!
Does anyone make a decent double din radio that looks good in these trucks, or a factory looking filler piece for a single din?
Crutchfield has powerbass 2ohm 6.5s for $76 a pair.

·
Registered
2019 Frontier SV KC 2WD V6 Auto
1,243 Posts
Should I upgrade to the premium package headunit? Would an SV headunit fit in my S model?
"Fit" - yes it will fit as long as the radio you have now is double-din size. If you want the options that an SV headunit has (like SiriusXM radio), you'll need to install a satellite antenna (ie: drill hole in roof for antenna). If you want a backup camera, you'll need a harness adapter for the radio and you'll need to select a license plate mounted camera, then run the wires for the camera from the license plate to the back of the radio. Also, the SV radio (in 2017) has bluetooth, but it won't work right unless you already have working bluetooth because you need the OEM microphone in your overhead console. AM/FM/CD should work fine. An SV radio from 2017 or 2018 should work - but NOT from 2019 or 2020.

·
Registered
2019 Frontier SV KC 2WD V6 Auto
1,243 Posts
Several months back, I got a set of four speakers from a 2019 Frontier (from an eBay seller) to keep as extras. They are in good condition. I'm attaching a pic of the rear speaker. If my speaker is the same as yours, I'll help you out and send you the one you need (if you're in the USA). I'll give you the speaker and you repay me for the shipping cost. I suspect it will cost about $15.00 to ship it in a decent padded box, but you'll see whatever it actually costs on the ship label.

If you want the speaker, send me your name and address by private message. Once you get the speaker, send me the shipping cost back by paypal or by mail.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Other then the decreased volume my new crutchfield spkr's sound better then stock and I would not go back to the cheapo 2ohm's. Everything seems to perform just as raine stated it would in his audio tutorial sticky.(which everyone considering audio modification should read first). At full volume it sounds great and is just barely at the level of hearing damage where good music should be listened too,ie Sympathy for the Devil

1 - 16 of 16 Posts