Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for rear bumper with spare tire carrier/Gerry can carrier. I have been in contact with Hefty Fabworks but $2800 with integrated quarter panel rock sliders and $2600 without is a lot. I see all sorts of photos of really nice ones but am struggling to find the company names. Any first hand suggestions? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
7,856 Posts
Most of the others you see are custom. I think Hefty is the only company still in biz that makes a complete bolt on rear w/tire carrier. I don't think Shrock has the carrier option with theirs and I believe TAG/KMA has left the building. If you want a cheaper option I would talk to local fab shops.

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,856 Posts
Have to agree.Problem is one off stuff is expensive.
True a lot of the time but it doesn't necessarily have to be if you're willing to do some research and leg work. If you find a decent fab shop and go in with a solid plan you can get a decent deal if you're willing to paint it yourself or have friends in the coating industry. My rear is made up of some fairly intricate tube work with some complex bends (and it's damn near bullet proof) and I walked out the door for under 700. Granted, it would have been another 150-ish in parts and maybe another 150+ in labor to add a tire carrier but that's still a long way shy of what the big brands are charging for their pre-fab units. Ultimately it all depends on what you want and what it's worth to you do have it done right.

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
That is a good price.I mentioned before that shop rate here in California is $75-$90 an hour.At the lower rate,means he built that in 9 hours? Not to mention,materials,consumable tools,etc.
Very few people know what it takes to fabricate.
I mentioned I am making a gps mount for a friend's UTV.I have close to 3 hours of taking measurements,another 3 hours of design,$60 dollars in aluminum and an arbor and slitting saw that cost $130.I have not even taken a cut.I don't charge my friends and will not accept work from strangers.I rather go back to work.More money,less headaches.
You are lucky you found a shop you like and trust.
Too many horror stories.Two come to mind recently.
A poster had them install " Fiberwerks " front fenders.Mounting points cracked,huge gaps,crooked.I told him it was not worth fixing.
Someone had a bumper built and it was so poorly made,he was thinking about scrapping it.

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
If I could only charge $700 to build this bumper I would starve to death. Material cost was what I had leftover. Probably one 20ft, stick of DOM at $6-$7 a ft. Whole lot cheaper if you use HREW.Do you know what your bumpers are made of. Chrome moly, 15%-20 more.
I understand that most people can't fabricate their own stuff. Lots of reasons why. I do it cause that is what I love to do.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
Tan C - Tan A x Cos B.
This is for calculating compound angles. I used it a lot for notching tubes.
Hard part is trying to figure out what angles to use to do the calculations.This takes time too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts