Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible? I searched but can't really seem to find anything definitive?

I took the truck off the road the first time this weekend, and it did super well in davy crockett national forest. That is until it's driver did a stupid. I was turning around after driving off the forest service road and drove off the path to make my way back to another spot and stopped for a second lost momentum and when I tried to go it dug in. I am fairly certain that a locked rear diff would have been fine. Not as good as 4x but good enough. Has anyone put a locker on the 2wd frontiers from this year? Maybe just replace with a full rear axel from a 4x4 frontier?

·
Registered
6,432 Posts
Maybe just replace with a full rear axel from a 4x4 frontier?
That would do it. There are some lockers you can add but the cheap ones will bind and the more expensive ones, well you might as well buy a used locked OE axle. Remember it will need to come off a pro-4x or Nismo model. This is a good time to mess with gearing too. If you are a 4 cilnder you won't be able to go as low which will be a problem. If you are a V6 then you can gear it lower if you like.

Look here for options.
Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That would do it. There are some lockers you can add but the cheap ones will bind and the more expensive ones, well you might as well buy a used locked OE axle. Remember it will need to come off a pro-4x or Nismo model. This is a good time to mess with gearing too. If you are a 4 cilnder you won't be able to go as low which will be a problem. If you are a V6 then you can gear it lower if you like.

Look here for options.
Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market
As far as I know the desert runner was only available in v6 which I have. Do you know, or have you seen someone do this to confirm it will work? If not... What am I looking for as far as making sure things are compatible?

·
Registered
6,432 Posts
As far as I know the desert runner was only available in v6 which I have. Do you know, or have you seen someone do this to confirm it will work? If not... What am I looking for as far as making sure things are compatible?
That is where you have to do some more searching and reading.
First you need to identify the axle and gear ratio you currently have. There is a sticky thread in the drivetrain section.
The 2 axles are interchangeable. The only difference can be the u-joint type; either standard u-joint or CV type joint. One look (picture) will tell you (us). I think all M226 axles have the u-joint type. If not the same type you either need get the right driveshaft used or get a new end put on by a driveline shop.
To power the e-locker all you need is to run 12v power to it. Not worth messing with all the stock wiring.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can look and take pictures etc. Do you know if it's like a on off switch where sending 12 v will lock it and then it will stay locked until if gets another 12v pulse, or does it have to have 12v maintained while locked?

·
Premium Member
7,013 Posts
Is your DR a CC or KC? This will make a difference in finding your axle ration.

·
Registered
6,432 Posts
I can look and take pictures etc. Do you know if it's like a on off switch where sending 12 v will lock it and then it will stay locked until if gets another 12v pulse, or does it have to have 12v maintained while locked?
I think you need to apply a constant 12v

1 - 7 of 7 Posts