Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have installed a universal backup camera and monitor in the truck but I am not able to get the monitor to turn to on when I put it in reverse.
I will explain the arrangement and maybe someone can shed some light on my delimma.

Camera has +/ground run to the passenger side reverse light. + is tapped into the orange (if I recall) and the ground is tapped into the black wire.
The video cable is run to the monitor at the dash.
I ran a jumper wire from the drivers side reverse light + wire (light blue) up to the red + wire at the monitor. The black ground wire is grounded to a chassis ground behind the dash I have other items grounded at.

I know the camera works because during troubleshooting I connected the monitor to constant power and I can see the display in the back from the camera. However, when the power from the reverse light is connected to the monitor it does not turn on.
The other thing that I found interesting is that with the monitor connected to a constant 12 V source, the camera image is displayed even while in park.

I feel like I am missing something simple to get the monitor to turn on when the truck is in reverse.

·
Registered
2019 Frontier SV KC 2WD V6 Auto
1,094 Posts
This is an old post, but in case this happens to someone else, here's why this didn't work: the wiring going to the backup lights doesn't have enough current carrying ability to power the backup lights, a camera and an LCD screen. You can power the camera from the backup lights wiring, but the monitor needs to be connected somewhere else - perhaps to a radio accessory wire and a ground point under the dash. If you really only want that monitor to have power when you're in reverse, you'll need to get a 12 Volt relay that is powered by the backup light circuit, then use the relay contacts to supply power from an accessory power (radio?) over to the monitor and backup camera.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I agree with that mostly. But if there wasn't enough power through that circuit, wouldn't the fuse pop? These things don't use much power.

If he had a free standing monitor, and a free standing cam, which it sounds like he did, he just needs to tap positive and negative to the +/- feeding the backup lamps. Or use the backup lamps to trigger a relay. Or are we stating the same thing?

·
Registered
2019 Frontier SV KC 2WD V6 Auto
1,094 Posts
The fuse could blow if everything did turn on, but many electronic devices are designed to not power on if they don't have the power they need. Even if there isn't enough power, the backup lights would still come on (and be a little dimmer) - and the camera would work likely even with a voltage drop (most can work at 9-10 volts), but the LCD monitor would be the first of all devices to not turn on because it needs more power than the camera. Not turning on reduces the load in the wires and saves the fuse.
I did the exact same thing that the OP did, and I had the exact same problem. When I connected the monitor to accessory power (using power from the AC adapter socket inside the center console) and left the camera on backup light power, everything worked. Cameras and monitors don't much care what circuit they are connected to - they just need enough power to turn on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts