Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else fuel light come on really early . Mine came on today and my needle was on E so I got fuel and it took 17 gallons and it's a 21 gallon tank I believe

·
Registered
176 Posts
Remember, though it is a 21 gallon fuel tank, only about 19-20 is probably usable. That leaves you with 2-3 gallons to get you to a fill-up.

·
Super Moderator
11,284 Posts
Better early than too close to having to walk. Imagine if you're in a rural area and it comes on with only a gallon to go. OOPS, lol.

Clint

·
Registered
364 Posts
I have never put more than about 17 or 18 gallons in my 2012 SV. It is pretty much unwritten standard practice in the industry that when the low fuel light comes on there is ~2gallons of usable fuel left so you can get to a station.

·
Premium Member
7,137 Posts
If I fill ASAP after light goes on I generally put just a tad less than 17 gallons in...supposedly meaning there's ~4 gallons remaining.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Huh, all this time I though the Fronty had an 18 gallon tank. Here I was thinking i pulled off something special that time i filled it to 17.8 gallons. I might have to get a little 2 gallon tank now and figure out exactly how far I can make it until I run out, lol

·
Registered
266 Posts
considering if you fill with 1 extra click, you get probably 1-1.5 gallons before the needle comes down to full and hits e on 3.5-4 gallons left. From F to E is ~16 gallons, typical fill up on or around E for me is 15-18 gallons.

·
Premium Member
7,137 Posts
It has been said before around here that our in-tank fuel pumps are cooled by the remaining fuel...so running the tank down should be seen as an avoidable stressor - for a hard to reach/replace part.

·
Registered
961 Posts
It has been said before around here that our in-tank fuel pumps are cooled by the remaining fuel...so running the tank down should be seen as an avoidable stressor - for a hard to reach/replace part.
Fuel pumps are cooled by the fuel flowing through them; letting the tank get low won't hurt anything.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Fuel pumps are cooled by the fuel flowing through them; letting the tank get low won't hurt anything.
Yep, that is correct. If the pump got so hot it had to be immersed all the time then they would have it in a sump and I think a lot of people misunderstand the concept of fuel cooling the pump.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts