Nissan Frontier Forum banner

2013 mudflaps ahead of tire?

18K views 68 replies 26 participants last post by  FischAutoTechGarten 
#1 · (Edited)
Don't recall seeing these posted or discussed. Stopped by a dealership this weekend and noticed these on a 4x4 Frontier. This particular truck sat about 2 inches taller than the other 4x4's around it, yet was the only truck on their lot with these mudflaps. About 1/2 the size of a normal mudflap.

Oddly enough, the truck with these mini-mudflaps sat about 2 inches higher than the Pro4X's and SV 4x4's sitting next to it...

See less See more
#7 ·
In the thread about the new 2013 features it was discussed and mentioned that it is part of the overall attempt to improve areodynmaics for that extra 1mpg they claim between the 2012 and older compared to the 2013.

#8 ·
I looked underneath & there was no lift, all appeared to be OEM. No blocks, no spacers, shackles & leafs looked normal, No dealer $$$ addendum to the Monroney sticker. I'm aware of the aerodynamic improvements, but none of the other 2013's had these rear tire air dams. I thought it had them because of the height? This particular dealer does very little add-ons, usually just tint, so a lift would be questionable.

Pro 4X:

Base model 4x4 on end:

Another angle:

Rear fender well TDC:

Pro4X rear fender well TDC:
[/URL][/IMG]

Anyway, just thought I'd share, since it seemed odd.

#9 ·
Bigger tires maybe?

We thought all the 2013's were going to get those air dams, but reports from the field have been that only the S models have them. The brochures show them on all of them, even the Pro-4X. I think the factory is lax on some of these bits and pieces; I'm not even sure if my SL has the same air dams between the cab and bed, that have been described on here.

#12 ·
My 2013 SV 4x4 King Cab has those mini-flaps in front of the rear tires. Stock height. I think I read that they are only on the King Cabs and not the Crew Cabs, but I dont remember where I saw that so it may be wrong.

#14 ·
Yeah, now that I look at his pics again, I can see that the pic with the mini-flaps is a CC.

Maybe only the SV's (or maybe only SV 4x4's) have them since the SL's have the nerf bars which might interfere with them? Just a guess.

#15 ·
Maybe that tall Frontier got some springs from a Titan?
Factory ran out of springs so they grabbed some Titan parts to keep the assembly line moving.
I'll bet that rides a bit stiff too.

#18 ·
My 2012 4X2 4cyl 5 speed manual kc has the mud flap in front of the rear tire. I think it is to drive all you a little crazy who paid a lot more than I did. I got a radio, air conditioning, mud flaps and floor mats and I get to manually lock the doors and roll down the windows. :2cool:

#28 ·
The Generation 2 Pontiac Trans Am had mud flaps (wind deflectors)in front of the wheels.
This one sounds bad azz.
There is a small Italian restaurant here in Edmonton that I like to go to. On more than one occasion before they changed locations I'd see a NSX, ferrari, or other non-common vehicle there. One of the most interesting I saw however was a trans-am that looked like that one, however it's condition looked like it had been sitting in a museum with team of people taking specific care of it. Looked better than when they rolled off the assembly line.

Back somewhat on track
It would be interesting to see someone take all of the 2013 aero mods and do a real world comparison.

#26 ·
the idea may be better..but too much and you see too much frame rail, and it just looks dorky. i seen a first gen, in the nice blue. lifted a 5 inch body lift. added some bigger tires. but the thing looked more akin to a matchbox micro-machine with all the frame that was showing. sure the ride dynamics stayed mostly the same, except raising the center of gravity.

but it looked horrid.

#29 ·
One must give credit where credit is due. Suzuki invented the rear wheel wind deflectors years ago.

Rumor has it an engineer had it out for a test drive & got it stuck. Had his head leaning out the window looking behind him. Floored it in reverse and got a face full of mud. And the rear wheel air foil was born....

#30 ·
Rumor has it an engineer had it out for a test drive & got it stuck. Had his head leaning out the window looking behind him. Floored it in reverse and got a face full of mud. And the rear wheel air foil was born....
That sounds like complete bs to me. To prove it, I am going home this evening and getting my truck in some mud, putting it into reverse, sticking my head out the window, and flooring it. Since I have the front flaps, if I get a face full of mud, I have proven the rumor is bull!! Look pics of my face tomorrow to put this to rest.

#33 · (Edited)
I cannot see any physical reason why they wouldn't fit a 2005+. Problem is my dealer cannot find a part number, so he is unable to order or price. They are confused as not all 2013's on their lot have them.

My conspiracy theory is the assembly line morning shift installs them, but the second shift, angry that first shift leaves the breakroom filthy, does not. One less item to wax around I suppose.

Didn't realize when I took the pictures that I didn't see any clear tape stuff behind these mini mudflaps. So I have to wonder how quickly the paint gets chafed.

#34 ·
This is all I have thus far. Thought maybe someone had already attempted and would chime on in.

Thanks,

Norm

Glad to help. Unfortunately, Nissan won’t tell us if it would work or not.

xxxx

Parts and ServiceDirector

xxx

xxxx

xxxx

Sent: Thursday, July 18, 2013 9:38 AM
To: xxxx
Subject: Re: messageid:3824234 RE: 2013 Nissan Frontier - mud flap and weather strip between cab and bed

Hi xxxx,

I’m trying to verify on the forums if these can be made to fit prior years. Still waiting on a reply ...

Thank you for looking up the information. If they will work, I’ll get back in contact and order them up.

Sincerely,

Norm

Sent: Monday, July 15, 2013 12:38 PM

To: xxxx

Subject: RE: messageid:3824234 RE: 2013 Nissan Frontier - mud flap and weather strip between cab and bed

Ok, here is part numbers and my internet prices. The first two are the mud flaps at the beginning of the rear tire, the last is the seal. The only problem is that I have nothing that tells me if this will work on your truck. The application on these parts shows 12/12 and up but that would also be because they were not original equipment on the 10’s.

1 93883-9BA0A WIND DEFL-R 1 1 5.03

2 93882-9BA0A WIND DEFL-R 1 1 5.03

3 938G1-9BF0A SEAL-REAR B 1 1 11.32

xxxxx

Parts and ServiceDirector

xxxx

xxxxx

xxxx

#35 · (Edited)
just looked at the part number he provided for the seal. it is the wrong seal. that is not the bed edge attachment. that is the seal that bolts to the bed and runs laterally along the gap.

the other two are the forward flaps on the KC model. it does not say if they will fit on the CC model.

i do not know if your truck is kc or CC, so if you ARE a KC model. then they should fit. the part number shows its backwards compatible back to 05

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.