Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, don't know for sure if this is the right place to ask a question.

I bought a 2013 Nissan Frontier Pro4, love the truck, but there may be an issue.

It would seem that whenever the headlights come on the temp control lights for the a/c temp control go out. This doesn't seem to cause a problem during the day but at night that's another issue. At night you can't see anything on the middle control panel to adjust temperature.

Does anyone know if this is the regular setup for the climate control; To be illuminated when the headlights are off, but when the headlights are lit this panels is supposed to go off?

The salesman said that's the way they work along with the guy at service. I find that hard to believe.

I've searched here at Club Frontier and it didn't come up on any previous discussions. I'm still new to this so trying to find my way around.

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Typical stealership quality/attitude!
No it's not correct.
When the headlights are off do all the climate panel lights work?
Could be a bad ground?
Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, when the headlights are off, the panels is lit up. When the headlights come on, that whole panel goes black.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Hmm,

The instrument panel/control lights dim when the headlights come on to minimize nighttime glare. I have heard of the instrument or control panel lights going completely out if the instrument/panel light dimmer is set very low (on other vehicles, haven't checked the Frontier).

Therefore, if you haven't done so already, check your instrument cluster dimmer setting. Start the engine, turn on your lights, turn up the dimmer, turn on the A/C, then turn on headlights and see what happens.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Hmm,

The instrument panel/control lights dim when the headlights come on to minimize nighttime glare. I have heard of the instrument or control panel lights going completely out if the instrument/panel light dimmer is set very low (on other vehicles, haven't checked the Frontier).

Therefore, if you haven't done so already, check your instrument cluster dimmer setting. Start the engine, turn on your lights, turn up the dimmer, turn on the A/C, then turn on headlights and see what happens.

Hope this helps.
I believe my dimmer will turn the lights completly off, BUT it turns all of the lights off on the entire dash (except for the aftermarket HU) not just the climate control panel.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input and suggestions..........upgrades continue.

Okay, it's been a while and I hope that this works but I finally got the problems fixed by the dealer.

There was some sort of relay and then resistor out in the center panel, which according to them, also affected something in the dash panel.

So, after a couple trips to the dealer and them replacing 3 parts I now have the lights back on in the center console, the steering wheel, doors and at the shift box. It's lit up like a Christmas Tree.

I wanted to say, thanks for your input and time. It's greatly appreciated.

I've also had black step bars put on truck along with a chrome and black brush guard on the front.

Custom 'Nissan' valve stems added. Some 'NisMo' badges have been ordered to put on at certain spots.

I'm in the process of creating some custom graphics using the "PRO-4X" logo to print on adhesive material to put on the truck.

Also searching for a cool roof rack, if anyone has any suggestions please let me know. Thanks.

Upgrades continue.......................

·
Super Moderator
10,779 Posts
Would that be the same dealer that says there's nothing wrong it's working as it was designed? LOL

Clint

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Absolutely!!!!

Trick is when I was at the dealership I asked some of the salesmen if anyone they knew drove a Nissan Frontier. I found out the someone in service drove one. So I went and talked to him and he said that all sorts of lights should be on.

Back to the Service Manager I went and asked him if the people who fix the vehicles at this dealership knew what they were doing?

Of course he said "Yes!" I said 'Good, then please tell me why some service people who work here would say that my truck with, no interior lights, needs worked on and it isn't right.'

After some back-pedaling he said that he would have someone look it over again.

They came back and said that there is some module out and needs replaced.

I asked the Service Manager to let me deal with someone else because he was obviously too busy and had to much on his plate with serious problems than to deal with me.

He agreed and the next gentleman I dealt with was cool. Even made sure everything that was done went through the warranty I purchased for $100 to cover electrical issues and split the cost with me ($53) on deductible. He turned in the bill for $1,300+ and made sure the insurance company was going to cover the extra over $53.

So all in all, it wasn't a bad experience. I like how they tried to get away with some shenanigans. It cost me a gift card for the serviceman who gave me the advice so he and his wife could go to dinner. Well worth it and now I have a contact at the dealership who I can talk to for future needs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts