Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 2012 Frontier SL heater works great at freeway speeds but around town not so much. I checked the reservoir and radiator levels which were good. After pulling into the garage I checked the radiator hoses and the top one was very warm-hot (normal) but the bottom one had little or no heat at all. Dealer said maybe air pocket, heater core (unlikely) or thermostat? Thanks

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
I would see if it is an air pocket first. How many miles do you have?

·
Super Moderator
11,735 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you

Thanks for your replies. It appears I have air in the cooling system. I added what I had left of some coolant and it has helped. I'll pick up some more blue stuff and should be good to go. Kind of new to using this site. Next time I'll use the "search" so I don't bug everyone with a question that's already been asked.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Had the same issue and found the post Zedbra quoted above. Here's what I did:

"Thanks for all of the input, I had warm heat and defroster when I warmed up my car this morning.

When I was having the issues, at first my radiator looked full but it was able to take a few ounces to top off. Reservoir levels were good too.

Parked on level ground I had to top off the radiator 2 times in all (1st was very little, 2nd time was closer to a pint +). I also had to top the reservoir off 2 times, both from the MIN level on a cold engine to the MAX. The second time I filled the reservoir I filled it up about 1/2 inch over the MAX line.

I drove after every time I topped off. It seemed that when my reservoir levels were good, the radiator was low and able to take coolant and visa versa.

Bubbling noise behind the dashboard seems to be gone as well.

Used Prestone AF2100 Extended Life 50/50 Antifreeze not overthinking the blue/green coolant color topic.

I imagine if anyone runs into this issue its just a matter of adding coolant where it needs it and run the truck to get it cycling and push the air out."

·
Registered
79 Posts
The overfilling the resevoir mod works like a champ!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have some Peak (green) and was wondering if I could use it to bring the coolant back up to correct level. Will they mix okay with the blue as the previous owner only took the truck to the dealer which I'm assuming used the blue or just use the Prestone that you use?

·
Super Moderator
11,735 Posts
The fluid in there is Nissan long life coolant and I’d hesitate to mix types just to be safe.

Clint

·
Registered
2012 SV 4WD
91 Posts
I’ve been dealing with the same issue and finally got around to getting some Nissan Blue coolant. Have topped off the rad 2 consecutive days and have this tip to add to the procedure:
Don’t leave your cap(s) on top of the engine while you’re doing this. They mysteriously fall and find very-hard-to-access areas of the engine bay.
:pullout:

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Few more little tips that have been covered in other places.
If you remove both caps at the same time the resivior will look very full while the radiator will look low. Water seeks its own level.
Never swap the caps. The straight cap (no pressure rating, only a rubber gasket) goes on the radiator. The spring loaded pressure cap goes on the resivior.
Easiest way to get air our of the heater, fill the resivior to a little above the max line and drive it. Check again, top off, drive again. No fancy filler kits needed. I've degassed dozens of these in the past. The resivior is actually a factory degassing system. You just need enough coolant in there that it won't suck air back into the system. and if it is at the MIN mark, it will suck air back in. Be at the MAX mark, and drive it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts