Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, my name is Dillon. I have a 2012 Nissan Frontier SV. Ive had a love/hate relationship with this truck because I’ve had to dump a lotta money into it and I’m a poor college kid. I’ve also listed it for sale. So feel free to try and convince me otherwise. And/or give advice on a next move for my build. I bought this truck for $8500 and have put roughly $7000 worth of upgrades and repairs... And it seems like a never ending money pit. Lastly, I don’t really have the means nor desire to do the modifications myself, therefore I have a off-road shop here in town do most of the work.

here’s a description of mods/upgrades:::
2012 Nissan Frontier SV/Pro4x
King cab
Clean title
108000 miles
Standard transmission

6in fabtech suspension lift kit
3in body lift
Fox 2.0 Coilover shocks in the front
Bilstein 5100 shocks in the rear
Fabtech heavy duty tie rods
Titan lower and upper control arms

BF Goodrich All-Terrain KO2 (275/70r18) w/ only 3k miles on them
18in wheels (idk what brand)
3in adapters (mixed feelings on these)

Calimini skid plate and front bumper
Shockworx rock bars

CB radio w/ hookup and antenna
4 LED light pods with internal switch

Brand new air intake manifold, o2 sensors, fuel injectors, catalytic converter, wheel bearings, u-joints, Front/rear brakes, and rear driveshaft that’s longer and beefier

8in kicker subwoofer

Smittybilt RAD and 5.56 Air compressor, tire repair kit, tools, tow straps, small shovel, full size spare, maxtrax traction boards, and softtopper.

What needs to be done:::
-just ordered used transfer case w/ 67k miles
-front driveshaft needs some work
-rear crossmember needs to be modified to fit rear driveshaft
-tweeter speaker is blown
-engine light came back on (Evap code)
-oil change / rotate tires
-remove body lift ?
-CJD spindles?
-yoke has some up/down movement... kinda concerned the rear diff might be pooped

That’s pretty much it. The truck spends more time in the shop then I’d like and I’m getting boned by overhead labor costs. I’m contemplating selling because I can’t really afford to put anymore money into it. Thoughts/ideas? I almost wish I would have just bought a stock FJ Cruiser. Don’t get me wrong I love taking this thing out into the mountains of northern Utah and wheeling. The rig has gotten me through some pretty technical obstacles and to some cool places. But the seemingly endless amount of money I’ve had to throw at it makes me want to just sell it and walk away. I daily drive it and I’m concerned it’s only a matter of time before the lift kit,adapters,and off-road use will cost me even more money. Thanks for listening to my rant. Here’s some pics of me loving the truck.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
You spend a lot of money on mods. At 103k miles, there could be some surprises coming your way in terms of repair. You should focus on college which will pay benefits for the rest of your life. A "lifestyle" truck that is eating you alive is not what you need now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You spend a lot of money on mods. At 103k miles, there could be some surprises coming your way in terms of repair. You should focus on college which will pay benefits for the rest of your life. A "lifestyle" truck that is eating you alive is not what you need now.
Haha so you think I should sell? I kinda lied, I’m not in college anymore, graduated 2 years ago.... but still poor

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sounds to me like all the mods have effed the truck up. I have a small first gen 4 cylinder, manual trans, with 270k miles with zero issues. Aside from replacing the steering gearbox because the seal finally went out on it, i've only done maintenance work on it. Good luck with the sale bro, the truck does look awesome as hell.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds to me like all the mods have effed the truck up. I have a small first gen 4 cylinder, manual trans, with 270k miles with zero issues. Aside from replacing the steering gearbox because the seal finally went out on it, i've only done maintenance work on it. Good luck with the sale bro, the truck does look awesome as hell.
Appreciate it. Yeah the lift kit caused issues with the driveline and wore out the suspension components... but I feel like I’m too far in to just give up on it and sell because I don’t think I’ll get my money back with its current state.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Haha so you think I should sell? I kinda lied, I’m not in college anymore, graduated 2 years ago.... but still poor
LOL! This truck is your baby and nobody can talk you into selling it. It does look good; a brawny look. You will work two jobs just to keep the truck in mods.

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
You have a HEAVILY modified, high mileage, lifestyle truck... in college? You are doing yourself zero favors investing more and more money into modifications that do nothing to help your standard of living or the longevity of the truck. So, quit wasting money on cool things and then think you are poor, you aren't poor - if you can spend disposable income on things you don't need, you aren't poor. That being said, you'll never get modification money back when you sell the truck. If I were you, at this point, ypu can only make better choices from here, so spend money on legitimately necessary things, budget yourself, don't eat out, don't drink, keep the truck and work hard. Vehicle mods are a money pit you should stay away from.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
I bought this truck for $8500 and have put roughly $7000 worth of upgrades and repairs... And it seems like a never ending money pit.
The only item that qualifies as a "repair" is a blown tweeter, that you haven't fixed yet.
The rest are voluntary upgrades and some routine maintenance.
I agree with the others, it does look pretty good.
I also agree that if you changed your mind, go for the Honda Civic. Cheap transportation.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Well, you heard it from the CF crowd. We love the truck. But the cost is out of control. Consider where you want to be at 50 yo. Scrounging around for money to do the latest mod? Or a far more financially secure middle aged man.

I know a person who has nothing saved for retirement. Zilch. Even though I know he makes good coin. He has a gambling habit. The type where he buys lotto tickets every day.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Haha I mean I have absolutely zero complaints with regards to it’s off-road capability. I do a fair amount of rock crawling and run a fair amount of forest rds here in Utah and recently down in AZ. I have always been seriously impressed and have yet to find an obstacle my rig hasn’t been able to handle. I would love to eventually go down to Moab and explore there.
Forgot to mention the sway bar has been removed, which I’ve read can be OK with the upgraded coil overs and tie rods. I honestly think the body lift is what makes it ride like ****. I just got back from a road trip, SLC to PHX and back with no problems (outside of replacing the rear driveshaft because i was getting bad vibration at 70-80mph), but I’m comfortable going 85mph on it along I-15 with the front driveshaft in the bed. I just need to get the new transfer case and front driveshaft angle right and I’ll be Gucci. Need 4x4 for these harsh winters.

Some of these mods came with the truck and some I/or the shop has done. The air intake manifold, Catyltic converter, fuel injectors, o2sensor, wheel bearings, brake pads front and rear, 4tires + spare, etc. was either a result of neglect or past due maintenance. I guess what I’m trying to say is I’m a little discouraged with all the (in my opinion) needed upgrades to make this lift kit work!
But lastly thanks to all the concerned dads out there looking out for me... I’m doing OK financially, I was just not expecting to have to throw this much money at the truck to make this lift kit work. All the upgrades were in an effort to make it ride better. I ultimately saw it as an investment in the longevity of the rig. I’ve had zero problems with reliability. I sold my past vehicle for 17k so I was just trying to come out ahead. But thanks for the concern <3

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You have a HEAVILY modified, high mileage, lifestyle truck... in college? You are doing yourself zero favors investing more and more money into modifications that do nothing to help your standard of living or the longevity of the truck. So, quit wasting money on cool things and then think you are poor, you aren't poor - if you can spend disposable income on things you don't need, you aren't poor. That being said, you'll never get modification money back when you sell the truck. If I were you, at this point, ypu can only make better choices from here, so spend money
Sell it and buy a used Honda Civic. Problem solved.

·
Registered
741 Posts
My first car was a 1997 Honda Accord coupe, manual transmission, snow tires, dual 12in JL audio subs, and snowboard rack on the top. I loved that car!
My first new car (my sixth car over all) was a 2009 Honda Accord coupe, manual transmission, V6, black leather interior. Loved that car too, but decided a truck suits me better. Before that I had a 1997 Honda Civic sedan, manual transmission. Actually I've never owned an automatic.

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
My first car was an 89 Honda Civic lol great car. The 2001 Tacoma lasted me the longest, the last 14 years until this year and was also a great truck. Lol to the all the dad's comment. Hey man, we'll tell it you straight lol how to dig out of a hole and grind for years until you make it to the middle class. Be responsible, love your truck, wish I could spend that kind of money on mine but the house gets all the money nowadays.

Reactions: erturne

·
Registered
7 Posts
Dillon,

I'd keep the truck because you enjoy it's off-road capabilities and need/want it in winter. However, it's place in your fleet is as a toy for the weekends.

I'd stop daily driving the Frontier and expecting it to be/do everything. Get the "Honda Civic" (or something similar) that everyone is talking about to use as your daily driver. Perhaps buy a new one and keep it for ten years or more. Actually drive it as though you want it to last for a decade. Do the maintenance. It'll absorb all the slogging miles to and from work and the grocery store, thereby making your adventure truck last longer and use up less tires/parts/gas/etc. Leave the car stock. If the tires are good, the AC and heat work and the oil is changed, it'll do the job.

Direct your modification dollars and fun money at the Frontier. You'll not get it back, so the "investment" part of it is more accurately your "entertainment" value.

Having two vehicles that nobody else drives has worked for me since 1999. You can have a Corvette Z-51 for daily miles and an F-350 or Frontier for "truck stuff" - but only if that's what you decide to do for yourself.
You can have a few big things like reliable vehicles and a place to live or lots of meaningless small stuff like Starbucks, music and streaming downloads, stylish clothes, 96 pair of tennis shoes, the latest phone and an expensive plan, etc. Your choice.

Focus your financial power rather than spraying it around. Say no to yourself and to the demands of others when they don't align with your goals. When in doubt, lean toward keeping your power (money) in your own pocket. Always pay your own way and don't be a cheapskate - just frugal and goal-oriented.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts