Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was talking with a client the other day who also happens to own a Frontier, a 2011 4x4 with the 6spd MT.

He said he liked it well enough but that he has had to have the transmission replaced twice!

Older gentleman,definitely not one to do any hardcore offroading or thrash on a vehicle.

Has anyone else heard of problems with this transmission?

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
No problems here with my '08 manual 6 speed at 76,000 miles (except for the clutch, pressure plate, etc. that I killed) And I do a fair amount of off-roading

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's the first thing I asked- he said the actual transmission was replaced twice.

Both times he said it started with excessive noise, grinding and hard shifts.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Was talking with a client the other day who also happens to own a Frontier, a 2011 4x4 with the 6spd MT.

He said he liked it well enough but that he has had to have the transmission replaced twice!

Older gentleman,definitely not one to do any hardcore offroading or thrash on a vehicle.

Has anyone else heard of problems with this transmission?
No offense toward your client intended, but I think perhaps he needs to buy a truck with an automatic transmission.

·
Premium Member
13,408 Posts
I had a similar set of symptoms when my truck was 2 years old and they replaced the transmission...needlessly. They ultimately traced my problem to the clutch. I don't remember the explanation given for the grinding or shifting difficulties, but they discovered the noise was coming from the pressure plate.

Worth noting that some 3rd gear crunchiness is a normal characteristic of these transmissions, and it is only present with the stock shifter (I used the stock shifter for 3 years, switched to a PRG short throw for 5 years, and just put the stock one back in yesterday - welcome back, 3rd gear crunch friend). Also worth noting is that these transmissions are very particular about the brand of MTF used. Without knowing the severity of the issues on this particular man's truck, I'm only mentioning these quirks because they can cause the truck to behave in such a way that you think there is a problem with the transmission, when it's really just a Nissan being a Nissan.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Also worth noting is that these transmissions are very particular about the brand of MTF used.
Do you still like Redline MT-85 in the trans? I just ordered some from Amazon.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Had mine replaced at 24k miles. Going into 5th would grind every single time unless I was double-clutching and basically perfect on the rev matching. Dealer drained the fluids and said it was full of metal shavings and they would order me a new transmission. New transmission came in a few days later and the truck has been perfect ever since. Dealer ended up coming to the conclusion that it was a synchro not doing its job.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Excellent replies, thanks for the great info.

My p4x only has about 10k miles on it and I haven't had any trouble. On a few mornings I noticed it was a little notchy but that was with the temp well below 0, took it easy until it warmed up a little and all was good, can't say that's out of the norm.

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
Love my 6-sp. :smile: It is not sports~car-like with the dual mass flywheel's manners, nor the longish throws...but it is indeed a blast to row. VQ40 has appealing lowend torque and will sing up high as well...making a manual trans a hoot for suburban driving.

Yep, fluid needs to warm up on cold/frosty mornings and I wish the reverse gear wasn't as TALL as it is.
Manual trans will likely be extinct on my next new truck purchase, so glad I jumped through the 18-week factory order waiting hoop. :serious:::grin:::surprise:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A little off topic but I hear ya, one of the reason's I bought my frontier was that it was available with a manual.

·
Registered
397 Posts
A little off topic but I hear ya, one of the reason's I bought my frontier was that it was available with a manual.
Me too!

Wanted an F-150 2.7 Ecoboost but no manual transmission avail = didn't buy it.

Drove a 2017 Taco but couldn't get past the rear drum brakes, composite bed, 1st year engine and way too high price = didn't buy it.

See the photo in my avatar and my signature::grin::

1 - 13 of 13 Posts