Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm new here,I searched but did not find this unless I missed it.
I got the front and rear splash guards.The rear comes with paint protective strips,the front doesn't. Are they really needed on the rear,I'm afraid I will make a mess installing them.Seems if they were necessary they would come with the front ones also.

·
Registered
250 Posts
The paint protective strips go in front of the rear wheels on the wheel well flare. Stones thrown by the front tires pass under the front mud guards, hit the front side of the rear wheel flares, and chip the paint.

There's no need for paint protection on the fronts because there's nothing throwing stones at them.

Here's a typical thread about the problem and solutions.

http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f8/extreme-number-paint-chips-rear-wheel-well-flair-31100/

Do an Advanced Search, keyword Chips, Search Titles Only, and make sure you clear your username from the Search By Username box to the right. You'll get a mix of threads about paint chips and performance chips.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey,thanks for the reply,but the directions show them going on the rear side of the wheel well under the edge of the splash guard that is on the side of the vehicle.At least that is the way I'm understanding it.It appears they are to protect the finish from the guard itself,that is why I was wondering why not the front also.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Ahh...never noticed those before. My '08 came with the splash guards already installed and I never noticed that the rears have paint protection strips under the edge of the rear guards. My fronts don't have them - can't imagine why not. But, it appears to be normal for some reason.

The paint protection film I was referring to previously are pieces about 4.5" x 11" that go on the front of the rear wheel wells.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes,mine has the bigger strips on the front of the wheel well.I'm just not too sure I can install the strips without making a mess.Since they don't come on the front,I wonder if they are really needed on the rear.If so,how difficult is it to put them on.Mine is 4x2 won't be off road at all,so I'm trying to decide whether to take a chance and install them or not.Someone must have already gone through this.

·
Super Moderator
11,063 Posts
You can probably spray a soap and water solution like they do on window tint film and squeegee the bubbles and water out. Then just let it dry out.
Yes, you can do it correctly.

Clint

·
Registered
366 Posts
they are super easy to put on.

just make sure you have them on the correct sides and lined up well and youll be set

·
Registered
470 Posts
If you read the directions, you spray alcohol on before. It allows you to slide adjust into final position. No soap, it will mess up the sticky. Dry fit and mark with blue tape before taking backing off. Piece of cake, I did it. My 07 didn't have it but Nissan must have had a reason, the 2010 did.. I did the trailer hitch, steps, splash guards, GPS dock mount, Rail Caps and will be getting the bed done by Line-X in a few weeks.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
I have an '05 and as part of the deal the dealership furnished the mud guards and had them painted to match my truck. It did not come with any clear protective coating. I have never had any chips on the mud guards, but I do have some stress cracks in the paint on the rear guards. I guess the paint did not have any stress reliever in it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to all for the replies.I take it I need to install the protective strips.I was thinking if they didn't come with the front ones, must not really be needed for the rear.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Not sure why they call for them on the rear guards but not on the front guards. The directions said to mix up a solution of 80% water, 20% alcohol. At least I think that's the mix. Just spray it on the paint, place the strip on there and set it in the right location, then squeegie out the water/alcohol mix. It was really easy to do.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Hey,thanks for the reply,but the directions show them going on the rear side of the wheel well under the edge of the splash guard that is on the side of the vehicle.At least that is the way I'm understanding it.It appears they are to protect the finish from the guard itself,that is why I was wondering why not the front also.
Mine has what you're talking about, I'ev found it odd they put them there. I figure they are there for those who don't have the splash guards.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I received my oem splash guards and plan on installing them tonight or tomorrow. It seems pretty straight forward except for the protective film. The instructions for the film are pretty vague and Im still not sure where it's supposed to go. I was hoping someone could provide a pic of the location the film is supposed to go?

Thanks,

JD

·
Registered
97 Posts
That isn't the strip that comes with the flaps. Mine has those stock, but the strips with the flaps are narrower.

Based on the width and curve, I'm guessing they go on the outside of the bed to protect the paint from the flaps. The diagram is not very clear....

·
Registered
475 Posts
That isn't the strip that comes with the flaps. Mine has those stock, but the strips with the flaps are narrower.

Based on the width and curve, I'm guessing they go on the outside of the bed to protect the paint from the flaps. The diagram is not very clear....
Yep, no flaps on mine, but I have those clear protectors in that same spot as the pic above.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts