Nissan Frontier Forum banner

2010 Pro-4x questions?

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  smj999smj 
#1 ·
Can I add non Nissan brand coolant to the blue Nissan coolant currently in my truck?

What transfluid can I use since I do not live near a Nissan dealer?
thanks,
Tony p

#3 · (Edited)
Here is a suggestions based on what I use in the transmission and the transfer case. Price is for 6 quarts.

Valvoline MaxLife Full Synthetic Multi-Vehicle Automatic Transmission Fluid - 1qt (Case of 6) (VV324-6PK)
4.6 out of 5 stars(79)
$47.99
In Stock.Offered by Amazon.com.

Coolant colors used to mean something, I'm not so sure any more. Here is an article discussing different colors or coolant. The Different Colors of Coolant | Fuel & Friction | An automotive website dedicated to all things Fuel and Friction by Boost Performance Products I use Zerex Asian Vehicle formula, I have a jug I bought about 4 years ago to top off my truck and it is clear. What appears to be the same stuff is now advertised as red on Amazon. I have a jug of Honda coolant I bought for my Accord a couple of years ago that meets the same requirements and it is blue. The things mentioned above by teecro are important, OAT or HOAT or non OAT, phosphated or non phosphated. I just found Nissan blue coolant on eBay for $18.79 a gallon. That would be a safe way to go.

#4 ·
I get Valvoline Maxlife Full-synthetic ATF @ Walmart for $18 for a 1-gallon jug. I use it in two, R51 Pathfinders, which have over 200,000 combined miles on it and it still shifts like new. I also use it in the transfer cases and power steering...and in the transmission and power steering in my 03 Frontier SVE.

Nissan Blue coolant, the same as Pentosin Pentafrost A3, is an extended life coolant with a service life of 135,000 miles/10-years. It can be mixed with other anti-freezes, such as Nissan Green coolant, but it will shorten the service life. Your best bet is to stick with Nissan Blue or Pentosin Pentafrost A3, which is sold on Ebay, Amazon, Rockauto.com and even in some of the big-name parts stores. The blue only comes in premix, so no adding of water is necessary. When servicing, I usually use 2 gallons.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.