Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, just traded in a 2009 SE CC for a 2010 Pro-4x CC. I noticed Nissan does not offer the Pro-4X with an available towing package from the factory, any one know why. I plan on having the dealer install a tow package this week. Any concerns, any one tow with the Pro-4X? I need to tow a 18" aluminum fishing boat, probably weighs 3500lbs maximum, maybe a lot less. The Pro-4X does sit a little higher than the SE, do you need a different size drop hitch? Any and all help and experiences are greatly appreciated. Great looking truck in the Knight Armour with the Black leather from the value package.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Most towing prep packages just include the wiring, hitch and a tranny cooler. It already has a decent sized tranny cooler as standard equipment. The wiring and hitch install are really easy and would probably take 1 hour at most to do yourself. To find out what size drop hitch you need, you would have to figure out what would make your trailer sit level when hitched up. The actual hitch is the same between all current Frontiers, the ball mount is the part you need to figure out. Back the truck up to the trailer, level off the trailer and try to measure the drop. Just be sure to factor in the tongue weight so you don't go too far and have the trailer nose down.

Dan

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Huh ...when I bought mine, it didn't have a tow package( I installed my own). But a silver pro-4x next to mine had a tow package. Both were 2010s

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
I tow a boat about 1k heavier, and have had no problems. Mine came with the tow package, though. Don't know if the dealership did or not. Mine is an automatic w/OD and the only thing I notice is my gas mileage is really bad(MAYBE 12MPG). I didn't have to get a drop hitch or anything like that, so you should be fine. Good Luck!

·
Registered
62 Posts
My 2010 pro4x did not come with a towing package but does have the tranny cooler. I added the hitch and wiring harness after I got it.

I tow an 18' bowrider, it's pretty heavy for its size at 3800lbs. While the truck pulled it just fine, I wasn't happy with the sag in the rear end that caused the trailer to nose down a bit more than I was comfortable with.

After lifting the truck and adding an active suspension system I am much happier with things now.

·
Registered
112 Posts
to my knowledge, the p4x is not available from the factory with a tow package. if requested, it is installed as a dealer accessory and the cost added into the sticker price. (a dealer quoted me 480.00 for the full install. the package price from the factory is much cheaper.) the parts can also be purchased from nissan and the hitch installed by anyone reasonably competent.

if you don't have any plans to do serious off-roading and upgrade to a rear bumper with integrated hitch, i'd try to find a used nissan hitch and self-install. i think it is a part one could buy with few reservations about it being used and that is also better than most aftermarket options. then i'd order the factory harness. unfortunately, the hitches are big and weigh about 60lbs so shipping can be a bit on the high side. conveniently though, if you are anywhere near pennsylvania, there is hitch for sale in the parts forum. and while all this is going on, you should probably take some time to figure out how important the harness mounting possibilities are to you. through the bumper, underneath, on the hitch, something else altogether, etc.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I ended up getting my hitch from a Uhaul place in town, no shipping, it is a Draw Tite, pretty much the exact same thing Nissan will sell you but for half the price. I think I paid $80.

Installing the hitch took all of 15 minutes, the trickiest part was properly torquing the bolts, one in particular near the exhaust pipe was awkward to get to.

Paying anyone $250 (minimum I could find to have it done) or more is definitely not worth it. I did pay someone to install the 4-pin factory harness. You'll have to pull interior plastics and trim pieces to do that so for me the $50 I paid to have that done was worth it.

·
Registered
272 Posts
^^^^yup me to i watched it roll off the truck with a trailer hitch all wired up... if you go to the nissan web site and build one there is a check box for a tow hitch.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks all for the feedback. The truck is at the dealer as we speak for the tow hitch install. Costing $300 with parts and labor( agreed to at time of purchase), running a little less than first quoted do to the fact that Nissan Factory hitches are on 3 week backorder. Had the dealer get an aftermarket hitch, which surprise, cost less money.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Hey all, just traded in a 2009 SE CC for a 2010 Pro-4x CC. I noticed Nissan does not offer the Pro-4X with an available towing package from the factory, any one know why.
What?
Look at these pics.
This is exactly how my truck was when it rolled off the delivery truck
None of what you see here was done by the dealer

2" hitch, came with ball and the receiver hitch all packed in a box

7 pin connector, all set from the factory for electric brakes

This is what the truck looked like when I took those pics

·
Registered
39 Posts
Sounds like the OP has already taken his truck to the dealer. This is an easy thing to do yourself for half the cost though. I did it for about $175 with all Nissan parts in about 40min, including the work behind the kick plate. I could have done it cheaper if I had gone with an off brand receiver. I wanted the totally factory look and it was only about $25 more when I shopped around, so I went with Nissan. For anybody else thinking about doing this yourself, go with the Nissan harness. It's all just plug and play. Many of the off brand harnesses will involve splicing wires together.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts