Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new Frontier SE 6 Cyl. I really like it. Gave up a Tacoma that I was not satisfied with. Question, I have experienced no problems with the truck. Have had it for about 3 months. What I notice is when started cold, there is a quick 2 or 3 second grinding noise coming from under the hood. Cannot say it is the engine or anything else becuase it happens so quick. If parked at work during the day, started, no noise, only when sitting in the garage over night. I live in central CA, so cold is definately not an issue. It cools down each night maybe to 60 degrees. What do you think ?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Welcome! I'm sure others will chime in... Mine does this too after it's been sitting over a weekend. Some call it "rod clatter" From my understanding it's a common issue that is not considered to be a big deal. Search "common problems with frontiers" or below.

http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f8/tapping-noise-startup-49829/

·
Registered
228 Posts
Sounds like normal valve timing sprocket noise,the sprockets are building pressure when you first start the truck. Just the nature of the beast

·
Registered
177 Posts
Being a new truck, I bet it's fine but check your oil level. Also feel free to link to a sound clip or video for some more elaborate speculation :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
i live in florida and i think i might have the same problem. i have the same truck, 2010 SE. just purchases brand new about a month ago. and the noise only occurs when the truck has been sitting over night. the engine has to be completely cooled down. it almost sounds to me like its coming from my tranny. i hear this clicking/grinding noise when it first shifts from 1st gear to 2nd.

·
Super Moderator
11,396 Posts
i live in florida and i think i might have the same problem. i have the same truck, 2010 SE. just purchases brand new about a month ago. and the noise only occurs when the truck has been sitting over night. the engine has to be completely cooled down. it almost sounds to me like its coming from my tranny. i hear this clicking/grinding noise when it first shifts from 1st gear to 2nd.
Are you driving about 15 mph at the time? The ABS system does a self test every first start up and drive away. Some clunk, mine can't be noticed.

Clint

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Mine makes a noise too at about 15 mph after being parked. That is the ABS pump cycling and calibrating.
Mine also has slight rod clatter or piston slap right after cold cranking. TADT (they all do that)

·
Registered
475 Posts
Are you driving about 15 mph at the time? The ABS system does a self test every first start up and drive away. Some clunk, mine can't be noticed.

Clint
Mine makes a noise too at about 15 mph after being parked. That is the ABS pump cycling and calibrating.
Mine also has slight rod clatter or piston slap right after cold cranking. TADT (they all do that)
Yep, same here. My ABS pump is only noisy after the truck has sat overnight, the rest of the time I can't hear it.

Also have the rod clatter. Just everything coming up to pressure in the engine. Really normal on a DOHC I'm pretty sure.

·
Registered
150 Posts
A senior technical manager for Nissan training told me that the cold morning tapping, (I don't know if it is the same noise you have,) was the timing belt tensioner assembly.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I have the same issues...

I avoid it most of the time by

1. turn the key to on and wait for the fuel pump and the beeping to stop.

2. turn engine over and wait for it to idle much closer to 1k rpm

3. put it in neutral wait an addittional 10+ sec then go for gears, (either R or D)

I do however have the bypass so the tranny takes some time to warm up hence the above structure...

This also eliminates the "want to drive itself" when you first turn it over and go straight to driving...

·
Registered
14 Posts

Clint
Yeah, i read your post and started to pay more attention to my speed. it does seem to happen around 15mph, its more around 13/14. but it only occurs immediately after the shift from 1st gear to 2nd. i'm supposed to take it in to get looked at.

Also, have any of you experienced a scraping noise when going over bumps? it almost sounds like my truck is bottoming out when i go over speed tables. i go over about 4 pretty subtle speed tables in my neighborhood (recommended 15mph) i do about 20 and it will occur. I'm concerned because i had a jeep prior to my frontier, and my jeep never did this.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've got a 2011 4.0 with 2,500 miles on it. I've noticed the rattle/tap occasionally on startup after sitting overnight. I've found this and a few other threads here on the subject and the consensus seems to be that it is normal. I found this video on YouTube from a new Frontier owner showing the noise his truck makes. It's the same as mine does, exactly.

Nissan Frontier Noise on Start-up - YouTube

Is this the common noise that people are hearing or should I be concerned about this?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts