Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my way to work this morning,after about 4 miles,my 2010 V6 Frontier suddenly loses power runs rough ,then cuts off on the highway. I put in neutral,cranked back up and it ran VERY ROUGH! to the next redlight,about 50 yards away where it cut back off and would not start . After several minutes of trying,it finally cranked back up and ran smooth for another mile or so to my workplace. After work,once again,ran fine about 4 miles,then started losing power but not as bad as this morning. So I got it home and now I am afraid to leave for fear I will get stranded. Anyone got any idea what in the world is going on? Any help is appreciated,Thanks

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Did it turn the CHECK ENGINE light on?

If so, you can take it to Auto Zone, and have them read the trouble code - for free. Look up the trouble code online, and that'll give you some idea of what's wrong.

If the CHECK ENGINE light didn't turn on, you may have just got some gas with a lot of water in it. Occasionally, the engine ingests fuel with enough water in it to cause misfilres, or for it to die outright.

To dilute the bad gas, try filling up with a fresh tank of gas - And throw in a bottle of HEET water remover, while you're at it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did it turn the CHECK ENGINE light on?

If so, you can take it to Auto Zone, and have them read the trouble code - for free. Look up the trouble code online, and that'll give you some idea of what's wrong.

If the CHECK ENGINE light didn't turn on, you may have just got some gas with a lot of water in it. Occasionally, the engine ingests fuel with enough water in it to cause misfilres, or for it to die outright.

To dilute the bad gas, try filling up with a fresh tank of gas - And throw in a bottle of HEET water remover, while you're at it.
Yes,engine light is on along with the VDC and slip lights.I will try that just in case. Thanks

·
Registered
334 Posts
Sounds like either a camshaft position sensor or crankshaft position sensor is failing to me. The V6 has two camshaft position sensors (one on each head, and one crankshaft position sensor). Four Cylinder engines have one camshalft position sensor on the head and one crankshaft position sensor.
Can you get/borrow a scanner and read the code from the engine light? The plug for a scanner is on the driver side under the dash edge.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like either a camshaft position sensor or crankshaft position sensor is failing to me. The V6 has two camshaft position sensors (one on each head, and one crankshaft position sensor). Four Cylinder engines have one camshalft position sensor on the head and one crankshaft position sensor.
Can you get/borrow a scanner and read the code from the engine light? The plug for a scanner is on the driver side under the dash edge.
I will go in the morning and see if one of our parts stores will check it. I know Advance had a sign saying they will not check,I guess because of the virus,I didnt ask.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
My guess is with SoCal: either the camshaft or crankshaft sensor.

CEL codes come in two flavors: active and pending. Pending codes have not persisted long enough to be declared active. But it is just a matter of time. Make sure you check both databases.

At the risk of getting ahead of the story: If you need to change out the crankshaft or camshaft sensor(s) make sure they are OEM. At the very least they must be made in Japan. If you choose one that is made in China, expect more woes.

·
Super Moderator
3,206 Posts
When the ECM detects an engine management issue, it will disable the traction control and illuminate the VDC/SLIP warning lights. I agree with the others that it is most likely a crank or cam position sensor. Nissan wants and arm and a leg for their cam sensors, but the crank position sensor isn't too bad as far as cost. I usually get mine from Rockauto as they carry Hitachi and NTK sensors, which are both OE parts for Nissans. Failing fuel pump is another possibility. Check the codes!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok,so I went to Oreillys and they let me use their code checker. Results: P0340 camshaft position sensor A circuit (bank 1 or single sensor) -open circuit. P0113 intake air temperature sensor 1 circuit high input. I got the camshaft sensor but have not put it on yet,although the girl at the store thought I should replace both sensors and the crank sensor. Will let you know what happens,probably tomorrow....getting recruited for some yard work....dammit

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Ok,so I went to Oreillys and they let me use their code checker. Results: P0340 camshaft position sensor A circuit (bank 1 or single sensor) -open circuit. P0113 intake air temperature sensor 1 circuit high input. I got the camshaft sensor but have not put it on yet,although the girl at the store thought I should replace both sensors and the crank sensor. Will let you know what happens,probably tomorrow....getting recruited for some yard work....dammit
What is the brand of the camshaft sensor?

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Buy OEM sensors and only replace the sensors that have failed.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Buy OEM sensors and only replace the sensors that have failed.
What is the brand of the camshaft sensor?
Ok,so I got a camshaft sensor for bank 1 a (passenger side). Finally got it on Sunday morning (what a ***** to get on! ) Went to work ,store etc today,no problems,or engine lights ! So I guess its fixed,(at least for now. Thanks for input guys !

1 - 11 of 11 Posts