Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

my 2010 Frontier has 300 miles on it as of this morning's drive to work. At some point in the near future i have to deliver a mattress to my wife's sister about 120 miles away (99% of the way is interstate, 65-70mph, which i would normally drive it about 5miles an hour over the speed limit, so, 70-75mph). I read the owners manual (see below for reference), and what i get from it is i shouldn't do that drive until i get to 1200 miles on the truck. However several people have told me that it doesn't bother the engine to do several hours on the highway. One was a guy at a car dealership (Toyota) that was gonna have a new RAV4 driven from Memphis to me (6 hour drive, ~380miles), and when i asked him if that was safe he swore it was multiple times. I always have gone by the letter of the owners manual when i have gotten new cars, but have never been in a situation where i have needed to travel on a longer trip during that period.

So there's the story.. and here's the questions...

1. - Is it OK to do this drive (120 miles) assuming my truck will only have 300ish miles on it?
2. - If i stopped halfway and ate lunch or something would that be OK? or does going half the distance make any difference?

any other thoughts/solutions/advice?

thanks guys!

--Snipped from 2010 Owners Manual---

During the first 1,200 miles (2,000 km),
follow these recommendations to obtain
maximum engine performance and ensure
the future reliability and economy of
your new vehicle. Failure to follow these
recommendations may result in shortened
engine life and reduced engine
performance.

+Avoid driving for long periods at constant
speed, either fast or slow, and do not run the
engine over 4,000 rpm.
+Do not accelerate at full throttle in any gear.
+Avoid quick starts.
+Avoid hard braking as much as possible.
+Do not tow a trailer for the first 500 miles
(800 km). Your engine, axle or other parts
could be damaged.

---End----

·
Registered
534 Posts
Since I drive every new car like I stole it and have never had any problems I would say your fine. My new '09 Frontier just rolled over 500 miles and the day I got it I redlined it off the dealer’s lot onto the highway and never looked back.

When I lived in California I bought a new '04 Ford Crown Victoria Sport and drove it about 70k in 2.5 years. Before I moved to Hawaii I drove that car really hard and just kept up with the oil and tranny fluid changes. I sold it in early '06 to a friend who still has it... she rolled over 130k and is still cruising strong.

I think you will be just fine driving it on a long trip, can't be worse than what I do and my cars have always been ok.

·
Registered
21 Posts
You can do the drive and still follow the procedures. It says nothing about highway driving, just not to keep the same speed for any long amount of time. I took a long drive when mine was new and for one, never set the cruise. Then just change speeds occasionally. In a 65mph speed limit, go 50-55 for a while, 70-75 for a while, 65 for a while, etc. The other thing I did is occasionally turn off overdrive while cruising. It will bump the RPMs up and ensure you don't stay at the same engine speed for a long time.

·
Registered
17,537 Posts
i don't it's going to hurt it to do what you are asking. the main thing to do is avoid going over 4k rpm before 1200 miles.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I think it's perfectly fine. To be compliant with Nissans recommendations, just don't stay at one constant speed the whole trip. The recommendation they have about not going over 4000RPM must be broken every time someone test drives a new vehicle though!

·
Registered
17,537 Posts
^^^ lol true, i drove the piss outta the first fronty i test drove, luckily the deal broke down at the dealer (they wanted RAPE!) so i ended up going with another dealership. i never even drove the truck i bought before i left after signing the papers...

·
Registered
354 Posts
If it's a manual you can just run it in different gears for short periods of time to vary the RPMs. If it's an auto you can just drive different speeds every once in a while as mentioned above.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If it's a manual you can just run it in different gears for short periods of time to vary the RPMs. If it's an auto you can just drive different speeds every once in a while as mentioned above.

Ok, thanks guys! thanks for all of your input..

I'll just make sure and vary my speed every 10 minutes, probably just swap between 65, then 75.. maybe if i'm feelin' frisky, i might even do 70...

thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Ok, thanks guys! thanks for all of your input..

I'll just make sure and vary my speed every 10 minutes, probably just swap between 65, then 75.. maybe if i'm feelin' frisky, i might even do 70...

thanks guys!
HAHA good one. Welcome to the club

·
Registered
108 Posts
the more important issue, have a safe trip..

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
i have always been told to run a new engine as hard as you can to get it broke in. though the last new engine i ever had was a push rod chevy 350 stroked out to a 383 in my 83 camaro (RIP). though with these newer overhead cam motors im totally lost....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts