Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my truck in for an oil leak and they replaced the valve cover and gasket as well as the lower oil pan gasket. A week or 2 later now my truck has no power. I give it gas and it doesn't go. It sloooowwwwwllllllyyyyyy speeds up almost like it's idling into each gear. I checked the codes it has a P0011 Intake (A) Camshaft Position Timing Over-Advanced Bank 1. My first question is would what they did at the shop cause this sensor to go out or is this just a coincidence that it went out now? My second question is it easy to replace myself and do I have to do anything other than replace it and clear the codes?

Thank you

·
Registered
443 Posts
Is your engine really low on oil? If yes, fill it up and run it a while to see if the engine runs better. If it does, use a code scanner to attempt to clear the code.
If it doesn't clear, you can try removing the "Valve Timing Control Solenoid" which I believe is located in the front (or front-side) of the engine head, I looked up a picture of yours and am posting it below to help you find it. The shiny part is inside the engine.
Check the connector and the immediate wire going to this solenoid to see if it got damaged or became loose. Next, I'd remove it and if it's gummed up with sludge, you can try cleaning it and put it back. If this part fails, it can cause the P0011 error code you got and a loss of engine power.
I wouldn't buy an aftermarket part if you change this because it can cripple your engine if it doesn't work right or doesn't last. The other part of this camshaft timing system is the camshaft position sensor, which is on the back of the engine head. I've never heard of it throwing this code though - but if you don't see anything wrong in the solenoid, it would be a good idea to check the position sensor in back for loose wiring/connector.
Here's a picture of the Valve Timing Control Solenoid for a 2010 Frontier 4 cylinder engine.

and here's the link to where I found it for this price:
2002-2019 Nissan Valve Timing Control Solenoid 23796-ZE01C | Coulter Nissan Parts

I found a youtube video that showed trouble-shooting this part (on a Toyota). The part looks very similar, so maybe the video will be of help to you as well.
Here's the link to the video:

If you want to also check the camshaft position sensor connector - or replace that part, here's another youtube video showing a guy changing one on a Nissan 4 cylinder.

And last, here's a picture of camshaft position sensor. The shiny part is inside the engine, so all you will see is the black part with the connector.

·
Registered
443 Posts
One more thing - with variable valve timing mechanisms, it's especially important to keep your engine oil clean and changed at regular intervals. If you let it go, the dirty oil can form varnish and sludge on the solenoid, which can cause it to get sticky or stuck. It can also just wear out when it's in a high mileage engine (over 100k) from repeated use. The best prevention method is use a good quality oil and keep it changed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts