Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I have searched and researched this to death, but can't quite find the exact answer I am looking for.

The 2010 trucks have what I will call a one-piece bumper. Meaning the fascia front piece is one unit from the grill to the air dam. This one unit also creates the front of the fenders.

It seems, but I am not certain that earlier models had a two piece bumper. The real break being where the visual line is.

So how do bumper manufacturers claim their bumpers fit 2005 to 2010. Both Shrock and KMA do this. If I put the bumper on that I see in the pics, I will have a huge hole in the front of my fenders. Does this question make sense.

Calmini says their prerunner bumper only goes to mid-2007. I think this is more correct as that seems to be when the changeover happened.

Thanks in advance.

-Z

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
post up a pic of your truck. LE's have had a one peice front bumper but it may have changed for 2010. LE owners have had to cut at the crease in their bumper in order to run a shrock or prerunner bumper.

·
Rogue Admin
2007 LE 4x4 Crew Cab Long Box
14,360 Posts
post up a pic of your truck. LE's have had a one peice front bumper but it may have changed for 2010. LE owners have had to cut at the crease in their bumper in order to run a shrock or prerunner bumper.
Pro4X's have a one-piece as well - where ya been?

to the OP - you need to either cut your bumper down to fit an aftermarketr bumper, or you need to buy the lower valance and supports. personally, i would chop the one-piece.

·
Premium Member
6,429 Posts
i thought someone said that the actual bumper mounts changed on the 10's , i could be wrong but i thought i saw that on here

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
haha sorry i was on the iphone typing... didnt think about the pro4x's... speaking of that check this out at a chevy dealer here in town.
if u notice in the first pic, there is a real frontier in the reflection ;)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks for the info guys. I appreciate it.

*** I would like to hear from someone who has actually cut their one piece bumper to fit an aftermarket one***

My user name is a bit deceiving. The truck is actually a Pro-4x. It has the one piece bumper. The LE doesn't refer to the truck.

Anyway, it seems my assumptions were correct. I have no issue cutting off the lower part of the bumper. Wanted to confirm that's what others were doing and I wasn't missing an easier solution.

The only question now is to go with Calmini or to have one fab'ed locally. Stand by for pics of my custom rear pre-runner bumper with integrated receiver.

-Z

·
Rogue Admin
2007 LE 4x4 Crew Cab Long Box
14,360 Posts
i can't remember the names of the users on here that have cut their bumpers, but there are a few. if/when i decide on a new bumper i'l be cutting mine. actually will be alright as i can fill the gap easy from my body lift

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I thought 2010 LE's went to a 2pc bumper, the Pro-4x has the 1pc now.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here ya go! His name Is emu. He is from overseas and it's a homemade bumper on his truck. See where he cut
Ah, thank you. The cut line on the bumper cover is pretty plain to see.

I am trying to confirm the fender liners. On the 2010 Pro4x (and the other trucks with 1-piece bumpers) the fender liners extend all the way to the bottom of the bumper.

I imagine, but can't confirm, that the fender liners on truck with 2-piece bumpers extend only to the "break line" on the bumper. Nissan list a separate part number for the trucks with a 1-piece and 2-piece bumper.

My concern is that the fascia is no problem to cut along the line. But what happens to the fender liners? I am trying to confirm where the attachment points are so they are not floppy inside there with no attachment points.

I am going to hunt down some other trucks and inspect. Then I will pull mine apart to see how it all work.

I am considering just buying the upper fascia from a new truck with the 2-piece bumper. Its only a hundred bucks and then I could sell off my unit. I can't confirm though that it is a 100% bolt on, especially considering the different fender liners and the potentially different grill shape.

-Z

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
thats what i have considered doing. just buying that peice(i think they call it the upper valence) from nissan instead of cutting. however this route does cost but you know it will work no problem. but people have had no problem cutting it so just post up your results!

·
Registered
593 Posts
Uh.. the 06's all had the TWO piece bumper. The Emu bumper is not cut. Just replaced the Chrome bottom bumper. If you decide to cut the one piece bumper you need to cut it one inch ABOVE the factory seam.

Specifically you need to cut 1 inch above the seam if your installing a shrock bumper. Don't know about other brands.

·
Registered
593 Posts
oopps! my mistake the 06's DO have a one piece bumper. VERY nice job on the cut, looks factory

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
I'm getting an ARB 9k winch bumper put on this week at a 4X4 shop. They said they will just trim the bumper around that body line. they had another 2010 in the shop that had another bumper on it, and it looked perfect, looked like the bumper came from the factory with it. You shouldn't have any problems. there is plenty of material to play around with if you do it yourself. Just make sure you don't take off too much. I'll post pics of mine when it gets done. stay safe, brother.

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
I am considering just buying the upper fascia from a new truck with the 2-piece bumper. Its only a hundred bucks and then I could sell off my unit. I can't confirm though that it is a 100% bolt on, especially considering the different fender liners and the potentially different grill shape.

-Z
That's my plan at the moment. My Shrock bumper is on order. I talked to Fontana Nissan, it's about $170 for the "Upper Bumper Cover" shipped to my door. Small price to pay when we're talking about $1100 shipped for the Shrock bumper. I talked to the dealer and they cannot confirm that it's just a bolt on deal. Still have to check with my local dealer to see what their price for it is. It looks like all the brackets are the same save for 2, but I don't even know if they're really needed. I would imagine it would fit just fine since the grills themselves on the one piece and two piece are the same on the 2009's (someone correct me if I'm wrong with that).

I just wish I knew if the upper cover bolted straight on without any need for extra brackets. Then it's just a matter of getting an '09 one and painting it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts