Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just picked up my truck a week ago and already find the need to upgrade the radio to something IPOD ready. I have been searching the forums and I believe that the 2009 & 2010 have the same dash kit . My dilemma is that I have a std. SE without the Rockford Fosgate system.

The Metra kits that I have found all say that they fit w/options and they will not fit w/o options. The dash mount looks the same but is the harness different for the radio? The Crutchfield site gives the option w & w/o but it appears to be the same as the one @ Sonic Electronix and they say it will not work.

All I want to do is install a single DIN radio in the $150 - $250 price range and have it look and function easily with my IPOD.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just installed a new head unit form Crutchfield in my 09 SE CC Friday. My truck did not have the Fosgate system. Everything that Crutchfield sent fit fine. My radio is a double DIN, but the kit had all the pieces for a single DIN.

·
Registered
92 Posts
i installed the jensen 9312HD and used the standard kit from metra and harness with no problems.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
i installed the jensen 9312HD and used the standard kit from metra and harness with no problems.
Did you have the std. radio in your truck? I really like the JVC KD-R900 but Crutchfield doesn't have it. Sonic has it but claims that their kit won't fit our base model truck.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I just installed a new head unit form Crutchfield in my 09 SE CC Friday. My truck did not have the Fosgate system. Everything that Crutchfield sent fit fine. My radio is a double DIN, but the kit had all the pieces for a single DIN.

Any bigger pics we can see ? :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
UPDATE:

Yesterday I ordered the Kenwood Excelon KDC-X993. From what I can tell it has great IPOD controls, bluetooth, and a remote. I think one of the features that put it over the top is the fact that I can change the color scheme to match the amber on our existing dash lights. I know that I am a little anal but I want it to look close to what could be factory equip.

Interesting tip on the dash kit. Crutchfields site says thier kit fits 2010 SE w/o options (ref. to the lack of the Rockford Fosgate)

Metra on the other hand claims that they do not have a kit for the truck. The part numbers are the same. :comphead:

I will post pics of this as soon as I get it, along with the Nissan nav. holder that I picked up from Scott @ Fontana Nissan.

·
Registered
210 Posts
From what I've seen, the XE has a different dash. I have the SE without options (whatever that means) and the Metra kit fit like a glove.

·
Registered
19 Posts
UPDATE:

Yesterday I ordered the Kenwood Excelon KDC-X993. From what I can tell it has great IPOD controls, bluetooth, and a remote. I think one of the features that put it over the top is the fact that I can change the color scheme to match the amber on our existing dash lights. I know that I am a little anal but I want it to look close to what could be factory equip.

Interesting tip on the dash kit. Crutchfields site says thier kit fits 2010 SE w/o options (ref. to the lack of the Rockford Fosgate)

Metra on the other hand claims that they do not have a kit for the truck. The part numbers are the same. :comphead:

I will post pics of this as soon as I get it, along with the Nissan nav. holder that I picked up from Scott @ Fontana Nissan.
So... how do you like the kenwood? I see that hu is on sale at crutchfield and was wondering how it looks (I have a 2010 also). There is also a jvc one there that can change colors too that's a bit cheaper but has HD radio instead of bluetooth. I'd prefer to have the bluetooth but would also prefer to save money.

I'd like to see the pics if you get the chance.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm actually interested in the KD-R900 too. I'm a bit unsure if the adapters from sonic electronix fit too. I may just order it all and deal with the consequences.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'm actually interested in the KD-R900 too. I'm a bit unsure if the adapters from sonic electronix fit too. I may just order it all and deal with the consequences.

I was actually looking at the JVC KD-R900 as well... i have a 2010 SE, CrewCab, withOUT the Rockford fosgate. So what i am hearing is the Crutchfield dashkit/adapters work ok with my setup (2010 SE, CC, withOUT rockford Fosgate system), but i will need to order the radio through Sonicelectronix, and the adapters/dashkit via crutchfield. Or will the sonicelectronix kit actually work with my truck? has anyone actually confirmed that combination to work?

thanks guys!

·
Registered
19 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So... how do you like the kenwood? I see that hu is on sale at crutchfield and was wondering how it looks (I have a 2010 also). I'd like to see the pics if you get the chance.
Hopefully this weekend if the correct nav. holder comes in. The first one that was sent was the one for the king cab and not the crew cab... :comphead:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well, I went ahead and ordered the JVC KD-R900 with the mounting accessories listed above from sonic electronix. It appears as if the wiring harness and antenna adapter are from 2007 up. The faceplate is the one that comes up on the metra website if you select a 2009 SE crew cab without the rockford fosgate. I've seen info saying the 2009 and 2010 dashes are identical and the crutchfield faceplate says 2009-up, so I think it's a pretty safe bet that it will work. I'll let you guys know how it works out.

From what I can tell, the kd-r900 came out in march 2009, so I'd imagine it's discontinued (although it's still on their website). According to the press releases, the KD-R810 is their top new model. My point is, if you really want this deck I probably wouldn't wait too long. The new 810 doesn't have the flip down face, so I decided to take the chance.

Hopefully this weekend if the correct nav. holder comes in. The first one that was sent was the one for the king cab and not the crew cab... :comphead:
Dude, that sucks. I'm really impatient - I'd go nuts having it in my hands and not being able to install it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Well, I went ahead and ordered the JVC KD-R900 with the mounting accessories listed above from sonic electronix. It appears as if the wiring harness and antenna adapter are from 2007 up. The faceplate is the one that comes up on the metra website if you select a 2009 SE crew cab without the rockford fosgate. I've seen info saying the 2009 and 2010 dashes are identical and the crutchfield faceplate says 2009-up, so I think it's a pretty safe bet that it will work. I'll let you guys know how it works out.

From what I can tell, the kd-r900 came out in march 2009, so I'd imagine it's discontinued (although it's still on their website). According to the press releases, the KD-R810 is their top new model. My point is, if you really want this deck I probably wouldn't wait too long. The new 810 doesn't have the flip down face, so I decided to take the chance.

Dude, that sucks. I'm really impatient - I'd go nuts having it in my hands and not being able to install it.

when are you supposed to get the JVC HU, and the parts? let me know when you get it, if everything fits.. I would like to order mine...

·
Registered
19 Posts
when are you supposed to get the JVC HU, and the parts? let me know when you get it, if everything fits.. I would like to order mine...
I ordered it last night so I don't even have a tracking number yet. I have no idea how fast this place ships but I doubt I get it before monday and then I doubt I'll have time to install it for a few days after that. Who knows though - maybe the planets will align and I'll get it by this weekend.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I ordered it last night so I don't even have a tracking number yet. I have no idea how fast this place ships but I doubt I get it before monday and then I doubt I'll have time to install it for a few days after that. Who knows though - maybe the planets will align and I'll get it by this weekend.
Understand, that's fine, just let us know how it goes! thanks!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Dang...

Well, I guess my connectors and/or faceplate are backordered so they shipped the stereo without them. I don't really understand why it allowed me to order something they don't have - it sorta ticks me off. I guess I'll give it a few days and see how it goes. The stereo doesn't do me much good without the hardware!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Well, I guess my connectors and/or faceplate are backordered so they shipped the stereo without them. I don't really understand why it allowed me to order something they don't have - it sorta ticks me off. I guess I'll give it a few days and see how it goes. The stereo doesn't do me much good without the hardware!
damn, that sucks, sorry to hear that..

·
Registered
111 Posts

looking at the part number on the sonicelectronix site for the dash kit.. (Metra 99-7428G, or Metra 99-7428B for black). There is a note: Not made for Frontier XE and Base Model SE.

I found a PDF with the installation instructions and it specifically says for LE or SE w/ options.. here is a link to it.. http://www.installer.com/pdf/99-7428b.pdf

I have a 2010 SE, with standard radio... so am i just screwed? has anybody actually used this kit or know of any other kit that will work with a 2010 SE without the R.F. stereo?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
111 Posts
looking at the part number on the sonicelectronix site for the dash kit.. (Metra 99-7428G, or Metra 99-7428B for black). There is a note: Not made for Frontier XE and Base Model SE.

I found a PDF with the installation instructions and it specifically says for LE or SE w/ options.. here is a link to it.. http://www.installer.com/pdf/99-7428b.pdf

I have a 2010 SE, with standard radio... so am i just screwed? has anybody actually used this kit or know of any other kit that will work with a 2010 SE without the R.F. stereo?

Thanks!
I just sent Metra an email and asked if they had a kit for a 2010 SE, without the R.F. radio.. i will let everyone know what i get back from them..

1 - 20 of 69 Posts