Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the form. I just bought a 09 Frontier SE 4x4 in January. I am noticing a knock on the passenger side when turning left or right. My wife can feel it in the floor at times. Any idea's what this could be? Would a sway bar link or bushing cause this? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
3,188 Posts
Check the front sway bar mount bushings. They can push through the split in the bushing and knock against the crossmember. Nissan has updated bushings that puts the split in a different location and they are inexpensive. There was a service bulletin on them. It probably wouldn't hurt to do a general inspection of the front suspension and steering components.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I've just gotten home from a trip out and during the drive I noticed a knocking sound only when I turned right or hit a bump. It wasn't there when I left, and after driving about 40 miles round trip it seemed become more frequent by the end of the trip. Again, only when I turn right and it comes from the front driver's side. Can't duplicate the sound when in park, only when driving. Speed doesn't seem to matter. Any speed or significant bump creates the sound and it doesn't seem to get louder or softer. If it happens, it happens the same way every time. The frequency is what seemed to deteriorate. Is this what we're talking about here?

·
Super Moderator
10,416 Posts
Hope he found the cause and fixed it but just another person who joined, posted an issue, then never followed up with the outcome.

Clint

·
Registered
102 Posts
I started another thread documenting this issue: Frontier 2012 Frontier Steering Knocking Sound http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f8/2012-frontier-steering-knocking-sound-338193/#post3614753

Another member suggested the knock was caused by cold weather. It has been extremely cold here in PA, def colder than usual. As the temp has risen over the past few days the knock seems to be happening less.
The knock occurred on some bumps and only when I turned right. The knock came from the front left of the truck. The suggestion was that it was a frozen bushing that had some play in it. I do not know what bushing he was referring to nor the location. A visual inspection revealed no obvious issues or damage. If you'd like updates or have questions, follow the link in this post. I'll try to update it as I get new info.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts