Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys/gals i'm Ben from the Pittsburgh area. I own a 2008 Frontier that needs some TLC. I'm looking forward to having a place to ask these questions through this process. I've very novice with auto repairs and will probably ask dumb questions. However I hope to learn more.

- First issue that needs resolved is a big one - 4 cats hollowed out prior to purchase and just showing check engine light now. - -- I'll be posting more in the respective forums to hopefully get some feedback.

Cheers all

·
Registered
768 Posts
Welcome! Since Frontiers haven't changed much since their introduction in 2005, basically all known issues are well-documented.

Since you have a 2008, I'd check to see if you have the updated radiator installed. If not, you either want to install it or do the transmission oil cooler bypass.

If you search "clubfrontier <subject>" in whatever search engine, you'll likely find the relevant info.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! Of everyone i talked to this is the first that i'm hearing about this recommendation! I am definitely going to look into this 0420 and 0430 Bank 1 bank 2 show as the code for the record. Thanks for the quick response!

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Welcome Ben to the Forum. With respect to the cats, the critical question is whether you are in an emissions state or not. If not, you theoretically can run without cats. A secondary question is how is the ECM getting the right signal from the O2 sensors to calibrate air fuel ratio. Normally, there is an O2 decline across the primary cats which is the signal the ECM needs. No cats, no signal; how does it work?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome Ben to the Forum. With respect to the cats, the critical question is whether you are in an emissions state or not. If not, you theoretically can run without cats. A secondary question is how is the ECM getting the right signal from the O2 sensors to calibrate air fuel ratio. Normally, there is an O2 decline across the primary cats which is the signal the ECM needs. No cats, no signal; how does it work?
First, unfortunately i am in am emissions state/county.

Second, I'm not exactly sure the answer to your question. I believe i get what you're asking though - "How am i getting the 0420/0430 results without the primary cats being available to give that reading??"

All I know is that when the truck was looked at, each of the 4 cats has a welded hole which i assume indicates that they've been cleaned out. O2 censors were replaced recently because i thought that would fix it but it didn't.

My expectation is that I am going to have to replace all 4 cats to get this properly taken care of.

·
Registered
69 Posts
First, unfortunately i am in am emissions state/county.

Second, I'm not exactly sure the answer to your question. I believe i get what you're asking though - "How am i getting the 0420/0430 results without the primary cats being available to give that reading??"

All I know is that when the truck was looked at, each of the 4 cats has a welded hole which i assume indicates that they've been cleaned out. O2 censors were replaced recently because i thought that would fix it but it didn't.

My expectation is that I am going to have to replace all 4 cats to get this properly taken care of.
This welded panel you are referring to...is it rectangular in shape with two tack welds on either end? If so, does it also have stamped letters and numbers. If all that checks out, then that is just a label with the required legal identification. On another note, an easy way to tell if the cat is hollow is to just tap it or pluck it with your finger.
If you are trying alternate solutions other than replacing the cats, have you looked into something called an O2 mini cat? I would recommend the quality ones from big daddies garage. Also, people have had varying success with the cheapest method of using a combination of a drilled out spark plug non-fouler with a few more non-foulers...these are $5 for a pair.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts