Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for information on the 2008 M226 rear ends.

BTW I own a 2008.5 Nissan titan SE CC 2wd.

What i'm trying to find out if anyone has been to hoopers with the 2008 or newer rear end and has had tru trac installed.

The only information i know is the 2008 axles are 35 spline count.

Can i swap in 07 earlier axles and carrier bearings and then install the tru trac?

I've looked on all the titan forums and can't really find an answer... maybe you guys can help?

much appreciated,

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
the axle shaft length did not change to my knowledge just the axle spline count themselves. The older axle shafts are actually pretty strong but the 35 spline are stronger (obviously). lets put it this way.... rubicon wranglers with the D44 rear axle only use 30 spline count axle shafts. And they are pretty versatile. I beleive you could do that but you'd probally be kicking yourself once the trutrac for the 35spline axles comes out... i have no proof that it will, just saying.

as long as ur installing trutrac as well as new axle shafts i think you'll be fine.

·
Registered
563 Posts
the axle shaft length did not change to my knowledge just the axle spline count themselves. The older axle shafts are actually pretty strong but the 35 spline are stronger (obviously). lets put it this way.... rubicon wranglers with the D44 rear axle only use 30 spline count axle shafts. And they are pretty versatile. I beleive you could do that but you'd probally be kicking yourself once the trutrac for the 35spline axles comes out... i have no proof that it will, just saying.

as long as ur installing trutrac as well as new axle shafts i think you'll be fine.
Problem is, I don't think they will ever make a TrueTrac for the 35 spline shafts. They're going to be moving production over to Dodge for the Nissan trucks and I don't think they're going to continue using that same rear axle, so Detroit Locker wouldn't have much of a market for the 35 spline TrueTrac. It would only be marketable to 1-2 year's worth of trucks, which won't be enough to warrant it I'm betting.

Those 35 spline axles would definitely take a beating, though. However I don't think people are breaking the 32 spline shafts yet either and if they are, you could always get Currie or someone to make them with a stronger 4340 alloy without changing the spline count.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
well jeeps still use Dana 44's I'm surprised they havent bumped up to 35 spline axles yet. So theres still hope... maybe.

I thought i read this week the dodge/nissan deal was done.

by the way... i'll gladly trade you my nismo axle for your axle... i have spacer too... we got a deal? haha

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I doubt that eaton or richmond will ever make a LSD for the 35 spline axles... with that being said, i guess i will get some 07 32spline axles and tru trac and everything else needed to do the install, as long as you all think its feasible. I don't see why nissan would change the whole m226 just to have new axle shafts put in a 2008 later model...

BTW superior, moser or strange can make stronger axles same spline count if you send them a stock axle shaft. Probably be less than 300 bucks too for custom axles.. I paid 280 for my mustangs 31 spline moser axles two years ago and they are just fine.

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
The one thing I would be worried about is the diameter of the carriers flanges. Flanges is not the correct work but I am talking about the part of the carrier that is sandwiched when the side blocks are bolted/torqed down. I believe this is one of the changes that happened on the c200-c200k rear ends in the 1st/2nd gen Frontiers.

I have to ask thou, what would it take to get a TT with a new spline input? I guess i have to go and find an exploded view of a TT and see how the splines are built into the unit and how they could be changed.

·
Premium Member
6,428 Posts
I don't see why nissan would change the whole m226 just to have new axle shafts put in a 2008 later model...

they probably did that cause of the diff failures , but doesnt make sense cause it wasnt the axles failing it was the carrier and components :comphead:

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I hope I'm missing something here. Are you guys saying that my 08 Frontier SE 6spd 4 x 2 and 3.53 gears(with I assume a m226) has 35 spline axles and I cant get Trutrac. Please tell me thats not true. I've been planing to do a truetrac since I got my truck, & still do, just haven't dug up the cash yet. Please tell me I CAN still do this??????

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here is an exploded view of the 2007 nissan titan M226 rear end.

This might help answer some questions...

But nothing that has to do with the 2008.

I have heard that hoopers in cali has managed to install a tru trac in 2008 and later models with some type of modification that doesn't require changing axles...but the guys who have had it done won't release the information to any one especially the guys who cannot benefit from hoopers who live on the east coast...

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
They're going to be moving production over to Dodge for the Nissan trucks and I don't think they're going to continue using that same rear axle.
That deal is dead Dodge will not be building Titans.

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
Is there any way to call Hoopers and see if they are modifying the TT or the diff? You could always send them a TT and have it modified and then shipped to you. This may atleast get somewhere.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
Okay, I have had a revelation but it may just be nothing.

I went to Detroit Truetrac Differentials and looked at an exploded view on the TT.

It appears that it has an side plate, then a central gear with 3 planetary gears and then the rest of the assembly. It is that central gear in which the splined axle ends slide into? Could this be a part that could be swapped out from another TT that accepts a 35 spline axle? IDK but you may be able to swap out the gears form this TT Detroit Truetrac Dana 80 35 Spline 3.73 & Down :: Dana 80 :: Detroit Truetrac :: Detroit :: Power Train Truck & Auto Parts, Inc. into the Titans TT and be good to go.

If anything I have to say, I was thinking outside the box, lol.

Am I crazy or is this atleast something to look into?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have called hoopers before and they basically told me they won't ship anything out, its their modification and have to do it in-house. If i ever get mine done by either modification or swapping axles I will spread it all over the internet with pictures... no reason why one person should hold the glory, forums are to help people.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Who is Jay, he sounds like he would be helpful lol.

Basically, how do you fit 35spline count axles from a 2008+ model into a 32spline designed TruTrac?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts