Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi You All

My 2008 frontier Crew Cab Long Bed 4x4 is no longer brand new but has had fun getting sierra pin stripping in the mountains for the last 8 years. I am finally starting some mods to make it a better hunting truck. I have added a camper shell, some interior improvements and I am starting to think about a few more serious improvements: 2" lift, larger tires and fixing the darn Evap Sensor.

The camper shell has been great. Bought a used Aluminum LEER and fixed the locks, insulated (1" rigid, spray foam tubing and layer of Reflectix), added lights and sleeping/storage system. It is almost done.

Interior includes new Kenwood DVD stereo, JBL speakers, Toyo back up camera, phone holder and additional USB power.

Suspension Upgrade Background and Ideas
Truck is not a daily driver, but sometimes I will have to drive out of state to hunt, so I don't want to sacrifice drivability and gas mileage too much. I would like a little bit more clearance, but I am mainly driving on rough dirt roads and then walking in on hunting trails or really rough 4WD roads. I have a motorcycle carrier hitch (400 lb dualsport) and camper shell so it can get loaded up.

Considering Bilstien 5100 ride adjustable shocks in the front and a add a leaf in the back. What do you all think of that?
Would like to get 285/75/16 tires. Thinking of BFGoodrich-All-Terrain T/A KO2. What do you all think?

Thanks

Robert

Attachments

·
Registered
593 Posts
Hello from Visalia and welcome to the forum.

KO2's are perfect for your application. 2" lift will help as long as you keep to fire roads. If you start to drive on rougher 4WD roads you'll want to add sliders and maybe some skid plates however good ones are heavy and will affect mileage.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick response. How much lift do you have on your truck? Have you heard any feedback from people doing the adjustable shock lift?

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
I have Bilsteins set at the 1/2" notch with HD coils and a leaf pack in the rear. I am happy with the leaf pack. The front set up is rough but was put on by the previous owner. I would prefer actual adjustable coilovers so I could tweak them to find the right compromise between lift and comfort.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wet Dog

I see your previous truck had a Calamini 5" lift. Calamini is local to this area. How was their lift kit? I would only want the 2" lift.

Robert

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
I bought the kit when it was pretty new...2008 I think... So turn around was pretty good. I hear there are a lot of delays and bad customer service now, but I don't know if that applies to the other kits and parts. I remember some holes did not align properly, and it was impossible not to damage the integrity of the powder coat during installation because of fit and having to forcefully persuade some pieces into position, so the powdercoat went to crap quickly. However, I did not have good luck with the powder coat on my coils either. The only things that held up well were the nfab nerf bars, even though I regularly cleaned away the snow and salt in winter. I can't remember how the shackles held up because I ended up changing to adjustable ones.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi You All

My 2008 frontier Crew Cab Long Bed 4x4 is no longer brand new but has had fun getting sierra pin stripping in the mountains for the last 8 years. I am finally starting some mods to make it a better hunting truck. I have added a camper shell, some interior improvements and I am starting to think about a few more serious improvements: 2" lift, larger tires and fixing the darn Evap Sensor.

The camper shell has been great. Bought a used Aluminum LEER and fixed the locks, insulated (1" rigid, spray foam tubing and layer of Reflectix), added lights and sleeping/storage system. It is almost done.

Interior includes new Kenwood DVD stereo, JBL speakers, Toyo back up camera, phone holder and additional USB power.

Suspension Upgrade Background and Ideas
Truck is not a daily driver, but sometimes I will have to drive out of state to hunt, so I don't want to sacrifice drivability and gas mileage too much. I would like a little bit more clearance, but I am mainly driving on rough dirt roads and then walking in on hunting trails or really rough 4WD roads. I have a motorcycle carrier hitch (400 lb dualsport) and camper shell so it can get loaded up.

Considering Bilstien 5100 ride adjustable shocks in the front and a add a leaf in the back. What do you all think of that?
Would like to get 285/75/16 tires. Thinking of BFGoodrich-All-Terrain T/A KO2. What do you all think?

Thanks

Robert
I have the Bf Goodrich TA KO2 tires and they are a great all around tire. Quiet like the stockers for daily driving but are extremely capable off road as well. The suspension set up sounds like it will be perfect for what you are going to be doing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies. I have been checking on tire pricing and received the recommendation to consider TOYO Open Country AT II (because they are less expensive and have a 50,000 mile warranty). Supposedly the BFG KO2 do not have a warranty. They also mentioned the Pirrelli Scorpion ATR. What would be your thoughts on these tire options with my driving habits (50% road, 30% dirt roads and 20% 4WD roads). I am also wondering if the 285/75 16 tires (around 33" diam) will be too big and hurt gas mileage, power, stopping, etc. For my situation and lift would a 32" diam be okay.

Thanks so much. I also posted a couple of pics from my deer hunt last weekend including my Bedouin Truck. Makes it simple to sleep and hit your hunting spot real quick.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts