Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I'm new to the Frontier world and absolutely love my truck but am already trying to digest a problem causing rough idle and misfire.

I am the second owner of a 2007 Nismo w/6spd manual with abt 162K on engine. Previous owner took immaculate care and put in a 4in lift and did the front end Titan axle mod. It's been driving great until abt 2 weeks ago when it threw a SES while driving on the highway. Didn't notice any change in engine performance but took it to Autozone to pull a p0430 code. Granted the cats are stock and at 162K not surprising that they want to be replaced. Had them clear code and added it to the growing to do list thinking it wouldn't be a huge problem and I could attend to it sometime in next cpl months.

1 week later I was driving uphill and the engine lost power momentarily and the SES light flashed for about 30 seconds with rougher engine performance. It cleared a few minutes later and engine returned to normal operation. Then Last week I was out of town on work and had my wife drive the truck to Nissan dealer for an inspection and as she was driving it did the same SES flash and chugged on performance. They pulled both a p0300 and p0430 code. They think i need new spark plugs before worrying about the cats but the plugs only have 60K on them and I'm not paying $450 (yes they quoted $450!) to have spark plugs replaced to find out it was actually the cats that needed to be replaced!

I've done a lot of reading on the forums here with folks having similar issues and seen culprit being everything from camsensor issues to Maf sensor to ignition coil problems to simply replacing the cats! Anyone got a prioritized list of troubleshooting that might help me isolate the issue? I'm not gonna hand the dealer $1000 to diagnose for days and then end up telling me its some $100-300 part and something I could probably do with a few minutes or hours work with my fairly mechanically inclined brother.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Only 60k and getting a below threshhold(P0430) I don't think is sparkplugs or for (P0300) or the random misfire somehow it sounds like you got crap past and clogged your cat(P0430) likely broke apart banging offroad a injector leaking fuel, bad wiring/connection did they check to make sure the coils and injectors are firing correctly to start. (P0300) bad coil wiring injector injector wiring to start

Have any of the O2 sensors been replaced?

Are you using any oil?

If you wanna try the plugs they arent to bad except for front passenger you'll need to remove plenum or have a few extensions and knuckles to get at that one and it'll rulle it out for like 1.5hr and a few $ depending where what you put in

1 - 2 of 2 Posts