Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 07 Frontier with 4 cyl 112000 miles and the oil pressure gauge doesn’t move it stays at the bottom. I don’t have any check engine light or oil lights the gauge just doesn’t move. What could this be? The engine sounds like it has a exhaust leak could this be related? Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
I don’t think so. Bad gauge or sender in my opinion . Connection, fuse?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for answering I will be digging into it tomorrow I was thinking to get new sensor and change it out and see what happens

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Yep, likely a bad Sender. By the way, of the Gen2s, only the '05s had a real oil pressure gauge. From that year forward, Nissan dumbed the gauge's responsiveness down so that the needle stays put and moves only slightly. This was done because owners were alarmed that their oil pressure fell at idle and increased at speed. No kidding. This is the age we live in.

There also seems to be no way to overcome Nissan's re-engineering of the system -- from what I've read, it's hard-coded into the ECU, so changing the sensor won't help.

Reactions: shift_RUSH

·
Registered
2004 Nissan Frontier XE KC KA24DE
4,018 Posts
Why do you think I’m not getting a check engine light or oil light?
I'd assume because the oil pressure is good. I don't think there are any DTC's for any gauge / sender failures. Like if the fuel level sender craps out, you just have no gas gauge with no CEL. But like I said...I'd assume.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep, likely a bad Sender. By the way, of the Gen2s, only the '05s had a real oil pressure gauge. From that year forward, Nissan dumbed the gauge's responsiveness down so that the needle stays put and moves only slightly. This was done because owners were alarmed that their oil pressure fell at idle and increased at speed. No kidding. This is the age we live in.

There also seems to be no way to overcome Nissan's re-engineering of the system -- from what I've read, it's hard-coded into the ECU, so changing the sensor won't help.
Changing the sender sensor won’t fix this issue? Or did I miss read this. By the way thanks for answering

·
Registered
158 Posts
Do you have the original gauge cluster? My 2010 4 cylinder does not have a oil pressure gauge, only a light. The bottom half of my tach circle is blank. I thought this was the case for all 4 cylinder trims, which is why I am wondering if maybe your cluster has been replaced in the past.

The ECM for the 4 cyl. is probably not programmed to send a signal for the pressure gauge to the cluster, which would explain why it doesn't work.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do you have the original gauge cluster? My 2010 4 cylinder does not have a oil pressure gauge, only a light. The bottom half of my tach circle is blank. I thought this was the case for all 4 cylinder trims, which is why I am wondering if maybe your cluster has been replaced in the past.

The ECM for the 4 cyl. is probably not programmed to send a signal for the pressure gauge to the cluster, which would explain why it doesn't work.
Sorry it’s a 2006 but not sure if original cluster but it use to work before

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
You did check that the wire was connected to the sending unit, right?

Reactions: Amozick

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
And when you remove that wire and ground it, with ignition in on position, does the needle on the gauge go up?

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Changing the sender sensor won’t fix this issue? Or did I miss read this. By the way thanks for answering
I should have written things better. A new sender might fix a completely dead oil pressure gauge, but it won't restore the gauge to full 2005 MY functionality, i.e. your gauge will remain like all models from 2006 forward with a numbed gauge.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I should have written things better. A new sender might fix a completely dead oil pressure gauge, but it won't restore the gauge to full 2005 MY functionality, i.e. your gauge will remain like all models from 2006 forward with a numbed gauge.
Got it I understand now. Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

It worked before

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update. I changed the sender/sensor yesterday it was a single wire sensor the location of the sensor was passenger side just above oil filter. It did not corrrect the issue. Is there another sender? If so does any one know where it is on the engine? I’ve looked all around the engine and online and can’t find any info thanks

1 - 20 of 21 Posts