Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So at least one of the speakers blown... so I figured why not replace all of the door speakers with slightly better ones?!

I've never done any car audio work before other than swapping out a head unit, so what do I need to know on removing door panels front and rear, and actually swapping the speakers?

I haven't decided on what exact speakers to get just yet. I'm not looking to blast music, just want to listen casually and be able to hear a bluetooth conversation once I swap the factory head unit with a BT compatible one.

·
Registered
63 Posts
If you can be patient I will be tackling this project this weekend and can provide some details. Have a new head unit, amp, and 6x9 component set I've been itching to get installed.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll gladly wait. I will only be doing the door speakers for now, head unit later, amo never lol.

·
Premium Member
7,171 Posts
I was gonna explain it, but a 5 second search on YouTube gets you this:

05-up Frontier, same door panel design, same instructions.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't even think to search YouTube. I've just been searching on here all day for a post with photos that worked. Thanks!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Also, about Crutchfield, they will say a LOT of their speakers don't fit the Frontier, specifically the Alpine SPS-619 6x9's, and the Pioneer TS-D6902R 6x9's, but I have seen photos online of these same models installed in the Frontier, and they do fit, as will many other models. I downloaded the manuals for the speakers mentioned above, and the measurements are nearly the same as almost any other 6x9 speaker. So don't be scared by Crutchfield's fit guide saying NO to a specific speaker. Even if I did find one that won't fit, I got a hammer that says YES. ?

·
Premium Member
7,378 Posts
Anybody know the available mounting depth in that 6x9?

·
Registered
118 Posts
It's at least 3.5 inches because I've seen the Pioneer TS-D6902R 6x9 installed in the doors and that's how deep they are. The thread is on this site that has the pics, and they are still up. Scroll down on the audio forum index page and look for a thread titled "JVC KW-HDR720 Review" to see them.

·
Registered
118 Posts
In reference to my above post, a 3.5" deep 6x9 is about as deep as most common 6x9's get. Anything deeper is not your ordinary speaker. So I think that's plenty of room. I've been looking at a LOT of speakers lately while shopping for my next system, and one for a friend too. Most 6x9's I've seen are anywhere from 2.75" deep on the shallow end, to 3.25" on average, with that one Pioneer model being the deepest at 3.5".

·
Registered
63 Posts
I can confirm a 6x9 with a depth of 3-1/8th. Drip guard even still covers the speaker.

·
Premium Member
2,149 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Does anyone sell an adapter to connect aftermarket speakers so you do not have to cut your factory speaker wires?

·
Registered
578 Posts
Metra or Scosche has them
Thanks, do you know which one will fit my 2016 truck? Metra lists a couple of different ones but does not tell which models they fit. Socshe has one that they say will fit 1991 and up but it does not look right compared to what I could see of the factory plug in the video.

·
Premium Member
7,171 Posts
Did you actually go to the Metra website and enter your vehicle details? for 2007 it only lists one harness for the speakers.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Did you actually go to the Metra website and enter your vehicle details? for 2007 it only lists one harness for the speakers.
I did but maybe I screwed it up. Crutchfield sells them and gives them to you if you buy speakers from them, on a lot of speakers anyway. I just need to decide which ones to buy now.

I have been reading how 4 ohms speakers will not sound good with my factory unit so I am not sure what to do.

·
Premium Member
7,171 Posts
I did but maybe I screwed it up. Crutchfield sells them and gives them to you if you buy speakers from them, on a lot of speakers anyway. I just need to decide which ones to buy now.

I have been reading how 4 ohms speakers will not sound good with my factory unit so I am not sure what to do.
Yes, Crutchfield and SonicElectronix usually include speaker adaptor harnesses for free with speaker purchase. As far as what speakers to get, consider what your overall plans are. If all you're doing in the future is swapping head units, check the output of the head unit you're looking at and get speakers with the same or higher watt rating i.e. if the head unit built-in amp does 25-watts x4, then obviously you have to get speakers that can handle at least 25-watts RMS.

As for the 4-ohm vs. 2-ohm thing, it's not as big of an issue with our trucks as people are trying to make it. You're source (the OEM head unit) is very basic in terms of sound quality/output; You can put $1000 high-end component speakers into your truck, but if the source is the OEM head unit, the sound won't get much better (maybe louder, but not better). 2-ohm or 4-ohm, don't worry - it'll work. But it won't change the fact that the OEM head unit is very weak.

That said, I'd recommend you pick a set of speakers that will fit your budget (spend more on the fronts), install them (with the OEM head unit) and just use it. It won't sound great, but at least you're ready when you decide to swap the head unit out with an aftermarket one.

When you have both the aftermarket speakers AND aftermarket head unit, that's when you'll truly enjoy the improvement in sound. Then you'll want a sub... we'll talk about that when it happens ::grin::

·
Registered
578 Posts
Thanks for the insight. I am not sure I will ever swap out the head unit but who knows.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thanks for the insight. I am not sure I will ever swap out the head unit but who knows.
I would recommend it. To take full advantage of a new set of speakers even a basic quality deck will blow the factory one out of the water.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts