Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2006 Frontier with the vq40de engine and 43000 miles and I suspect I am having the Secondary Timing Chain Tensioner issue. Could some of you check out this video/audio I put on youtube and help me confirm that this is the problem. I am under the power train warranty and also extended Security+ Pre-Owned Preferred warranty but want to get informed before taking it into the dealer. Here is the link:

YouTube - 2006 Nissan Frontier vq40de engine noise/whine

It sounds like a small turbocharger is on my engine and it is apparent whenever the vehicle is running in neutral, park, and in gear and also when revving it. I appreciate any help, thanks.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
I had the same problem and I would say yes. Go to your dealer and by the sound they should confirm. Good luck.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had the same problem and I would say yes. Go to your dealer and by the sound they should confirm. Good luck.
Thanks I appreciate the response. I dread taking it in because I know it will take a few days to repair and I will probably get a Chevrolet Aveo or similar model as a loaner car lol. But you gotta do what you gotta do.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Yes, sounds like it. I dread that day but the sound sounds like a turbo! That's cool until something breaks!

·
Registered
187 Posts
i hope my 33,000 mile 2005 doesnt develop this after sep2010 (warranty ends)

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Sounds like the timing chain whine to me. Better get it fixed Before warranty runs out. It should only take 2-3 days, be happy if you get a loaner, I didn't.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well that would really suck to not get a loaner. I will just have to wait and see what the diagnosis is when I take it in.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
You should get a loaner. I got a Versa, what a P.O.S.!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I am not going to assume that my truck has the timing chain tensioner issue. The video I posted was on a cold startup and there is a lot of engine noise. I do still hear the whine when the engine is warm but it is not very loud, and hard to distinguish even when am talk radio is on low volume. It does not really sound that loud to me, the video picks up a lot more of a whine then I can hear in person.

I am going to change the oil before taking it to the dealer with a Nissan oil filter and see if that has any effect. I noticed the noise pretty much right after I changed my oil the last time. The only other thing I did was use a turkey baster to drain my power steering fluid and brake fluid and refill them. I cannot see why any of those things could cause this noise.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Well I am not going to assume that my truck has the timing chain tensioner issue. The video I posted was on a cold startup and there is a lot of engine noise. I do still hear the whine when the engine is warm but it is not very loud, and hard to distinguish even when am talk radio is on low volume. It does not really sound that loud to me, the video picks up a lot more of a whine then I can hear in person.

I am going to change the oil before taking it to the dealer with a Nissan oil filter and see if that has any effect. I noticed the noise pretty much right after I changed my oil the last time. The only other thing I did was use a turkey baster to drain my power steering fluid and brake fluid and refill them. I cannot see why any of those things could cause this noise.
don't waste your oil + filter, if it is the timing chain tensioners the dealer will change the oil as part of the procedure. an oil change will not effect the timing chain tensioner noise.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Your right about that. But the last thing I want the dealer to do is to try and blame this problem on an aftermarket oil filter. Legally they cannot do this unless the filter specifically failed or caused the problem, but I know the stipulation about Fram oil filters is not very good (even though I used the tough guard one). I usually use Nissan filters but ran out of my supply this past oil change.

Maybe I am being paranoid but I would rather strap on a Nissan oil filter for peace of mind when I take it in for diagnosis. That way they will not suspect any problems with an aftermarket part.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just an update, dropped my truck off at the dealer this afternoon to get this diagnosed. They gave me a rental a Hyundai Accent (Thanks, I think).

I will update this when I get my truck back which they say is tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Just an update, dropped my truck off at the dealer this afternoon to get this diagnosed. They gave me a rental a Hyundai Accent (Thanks, I think).

I will update this when I get my truck back which they say is tomorrow.
keep us updated, at least you got a car! i had no car during thanksgiving weekend cause they didn't finish my truck on time.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
update

Well just an update it is the timing chain guides. My truck was not finished today so the service tech told me to keep the rental until monday and they would take care of it with the rental company. Nissan is paying $31.00 per day for the rental according to my enterprise reciept.

I assume warranty will pick this up with no charge as my receipt says 0$ for the diagnosis and they started doing the work even though I never asked for it to be done. My receipt only mentions a diagnosis so if they were planing on me paying for this then they are screwed haha.

Ill update again when I get my truck back

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
done

Everything went smoothly, I finally got my truck back this evening. All was fixed under warranty, no questions asked. I have not ever even had my oil changed at a dealer before, and they did not ask for any oil change receipts or service records or anything. I did have my transmission drain/refill done there but everything else I have done myself.

I must say I am impressed, hopefully she holds up well.

·
Premium Member
2005 KC SE 4x2 4.0L 6spd body dropped on 2s
320 Posts
good to hear, I'd have your truck back in less than a day. I remember when it used to take me most of a day to do.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Im glad it worked out for you. Mine is at 54000 miles and is in the shop for the very same thing right now. Luckily I've become friends with my dealership maintenance guys so I had some peace of mind they weren't out to skrew me. Plus I think me mentioning "I think its the timing chain tensioner thing making the noise" that clued them in that I know what is going on. They are fixing mine under warranty, and I get a little Chevy HHR to drive till its fixed tomorrow.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts