Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a exhaust leak but not sure where. I hear it close to the manifold does anyone have some advice on how to pinpoint where it’s leaking? I will be doing it myself and have read about taking off the manifold any tips to help it suck less? Thanks

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
I have a exhaust leak but not sure where. I hear it close to the manifold does anyone have some advice on how to pinpoint where it’s leaking? I will be doing it myself and have read about taking off the manifold any tips to help it suck less? Thanks
The most foolproof way to find this type of leak is to use a smoke machine. I think you can use the O2 sensor ports as an access point.

·
Super Moderator
3,389 Posts
I agree, but I don't think smoke machines are the typical DIY'er tool! And if one did have one, he could just put it in the tailpipe and seal around it rather than bother with removing O2 sensors to check a leak. I knew one guy that use to find a small vacuum fitting on the intake, disconnect the hose and run a length of vacuum hose between the fitting and a can of Seafoam. He's start the engine, the Seafoam would get sucked into the engine where it would burn and create a bunch of smoke out the exhaust, which he would use to find the exhaust leaks! Personally, I would try using a mechanic's stethoscope around the suspected area to see if I could hear where the leak is. Also, look for signs of black soot around where the exhaust manifold meets the cylinder head and around the exhaust flanges.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts