Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I would like to say hello to everyone on this forum site. It has been very beneficial to see what everyone else is doing with their Frontiers. My full time job is an IT Administrator with a degree in Electronics. I have been obsessed with electronics since I was a little kid. So I wanted to combine the Electronics/Computers with my Frontier. So now I am putting a Carputer in my Frontier. I will document the process as much as I can.
Components:
Carputer from MO-CO-SO
2.0 GHz Intel Atom
1 GB Ram
350GB Sata Western Digital HD
M2-ATX Power Supply
Internal Bluetooth
Monitor
Lilliput 629GL 7” touch screen
Single Din DVD player
JVC KD-DV5400
Overhead Monitor
13.5” Legacy overhead flip down monitor.
Here is what Im starting with.
2005 Nissan Frontier
I Recently purchased new rims and tires.

The first thing i had to do for the Carputer install was to fabricate a console part to house the single Din CD/MP3/DVD player. I wanted the single din stereo to control audio for several reasons.
(1) I didnt want to put an external amp in my truck
(2) I like having my portable sirius satellite unit.
(3) I wanted a way to control DVD playback without the use of the computer.
(4) I dont always want my computer to be on

:hi:

I will be posting more pictures as the process continues.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I can't wait to see more -- I badly want to put a carputer in my 06 Frontier CC SE. I can handle the electronics perfectly fine, it's the plastic/fabrication that I'm terrified to do.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its finally finished

After a couple months of tweaking stuff its finally finished. I didnt take any pictures while i was finishing the install so for that i am sorry but here are some pictures of the finished product. If you have any questions about the install dont hesitate to PM me.

Finished new console. The JVC Stereo is also a dvd player.

Windows XP SP3 Bootup.

This is a neat little Bluetooth Keyboard/Mouse that i found called the Logitech DiNovo mini.

Front End Software Called Centrafuse.

For Navigation i chose Garmin Mobile PC

While the interior was tore apart i installed a Rear Monitor.

Rear Monitor Running Garmin

This pic is hard to see but with this setup im able to watch a Movie in front while Navigation is running in the overhead monitor. And vice versa.

·
Super Moderator
12,703 Posts
Nice set-up, a lot of work went into that system.

That BT mini keyboard is awesome, it would work awesome with my media center.
Sh!t, now something else I have to buy . . . grrrr.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice set-up, a lot of work went into that system.

That BT mini keyboard is awesome, it would work awesome with my media center.
Sh!t, now something else I have to buy . . . grrrr.
Thats how things work with me too. I see something someone else has that would go good for things i have and i have to buy them.

·
Registered
9,344 Posts
yeah I was reading the reviews one that keyboard for a media PC.. I want a carputter but..[ramble] I just spend $1200 on fiberglass today, and I got to spend another $1200 on an intercom system for it, and still need to get wheels and tries, 8 HIDS.....[/ramble]

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The one thing that i didnt take a picture of was the Slingbox application. Sharing the internet through my cell phone allows me to watch my directv at my house through the computer in my truck. So many possibilities with a carputer!!

·
Registered
424 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.