Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Just bought my second Frontier upgraded from my 01 Frontier Crew to a 2005 Nissan frontier Nismo Crew LE with a Sunroof. Did not get the upgraded Rockford system but I will upgrade that in time. So far I am loving it. I have had some concerns about the noise that the HDC makes, seems to work fine yet the Noise made me turn it off.

Thanks, Jeff

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Welcome to CF!

·
Registered
492 Posts
Congrads on your truck. This may come up on this post. In 2005 they had 3 styles of Frontiers: XE, NISMO, and LE. Was just wondering how you come up with Nismo LE. Enjoy your ride.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Correction

Yeah So I guess I'm not as well informed.. The LE was on the back of the truck. I assumed it was and LE upgraded to a Nismo Package. It has a Sunroof and Fog Lights which came on the LE from what I understood.
Thanks for the correction though. I have concerns about the noise that the Hill Decent Control makes. Is the Clanking normal? Also when in 4 low turning sharp I would hear a snap noise. Any thoughts?

Thank you

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
I have concerns about the noise that the Hill Decent Control makes. Is the Clanking normal? Also when in 4 low turning sharp I would hear a snap noise. Any thoughts?

Thank you
Can you describe the HDC noise a bit more? That snap noise sounds bad. Were you in 4-lo on dry pavement or in the dirt?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I was on Dirt and Gravel Descending a 4wd recommended trail. The noise when I engaged the HDC was like a controlled hammering noise much like a full time locker could make. It seemed to work but seemed to be noisy. Not having any other experience i wanted to see what it was befor I used it more. I did not have the locking differential on. The pop was or snap i heard was odd. I was turing a sharp corner and it made the noise, one other time I was shifting around another corner from 2nd to 1st to control the speed of descent and the noise happened again. i have 56k miles on it. I've owned it 2 weeks and before that It appeared to be a pavement queen.

Great Looking Nismo by the way. I love the Red and Black. I'm wanting to do a Silver and Black theme. Mine has a lot of chrome though. Did you sand, primer and paint your chrome? Or replace all together? I've been toying with the Idea of an ARB bumper upgrade but that does not solve the rear chrome issue.

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
I am not sure how handy you are but the pop/snap is never good. We have this whole weak front diff issue. The spiders break and then cause it to bind up and then will cause the diff housing itself to crack on some occasions. May be worth pulling the cover and looking at the gears. The fluid needs changing anyway so it couldn't hurt. Just make sure you have a tube of RTV handy to re-seal the diff and enough fluid to fill it back up.

Also, since you do have the locker option, you have a Nismo. Only the Nismo has this option so you are not an LE.

The HDC making noise is new to me so I am interested to see what others say on that.

Ohh, and welcome to the club.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey thanks for the info man I'll have to look into that further. What are my options if the differential is weak? 6 year 60K warranty is in effect for about 5k more miles. Does your decent control make a similar noise? Seems to work but threw me off with the noise. I love the truck though. I hike 14ers in Colorado a lot and the 4wd trails there are a blast. My old 01 was a champ. This one has more bells and whistles but I do miss the old one. Yeah the LE thing was a mistake. Its badged on the truck so I made a bad assumption. Has a Sunroof though! A nice upgrade. Any way thanks for your response I appreciate it. I haven't felt this sort of camaraderie in vehicles since owning a 98 wrangler a few years back. Feels Great to be part of a club again.

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
I don't have the VDC so I have no clue what noises it makes. The truck does have a 5yr/60k warranty so it would be something to bring to the dealers attention. I am just not sure if they would be willing to remove the cover and check. They may just test it and say it works and you would be on your way. Then at about 61k, the diff cracks. If they think it is fine and you are still unsure, take it to a mech and have him pull the cover and check and replace the fluid. It should be cheap if you shop around.

Also, do you have the roof rack? If you do, the noise between it and the sunroof may be a bit much and you may not use the sunroof as much because of it. Other members have mentioned this so it is something to think about.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think I will take it into the nissan dealership soon. If they don't pull it I'll definitely take it to a mechanic. I do have the roof rack and as for the noise I like the windows down when its hot but yes it can be noisy. Thanks for the advice. It's greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
12,702 Posts
Welcome to Club Frontier dude.
Love my sunroof, glad I didn't get another Tacoma (which doesn't even offer a sunroof).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts