Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where would I find the O2 sensor on my 2005 Frontier? I want to replace it. Everyone other mechanic tells me it is a bank 1, O2 sensor problem,. The dealership is telling me I need a catalytic converter, bank 1. I already had the catalytic converter bank 2 replace last year. I don't want to make the dealership rich by having me replace something that does not really need to be replace.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Same prob here. P0420 = Insufficient catalytic converter flow on bank 1

I got this code just before it got real cold. I've been driving with it, probably not a good thing at all, but I figure nissan should repair this because your truck should be covered by an 8 Year federal emissions warranty. I don't know if nissan will cover me though, my truck's got a rebuilt title (front right body was rebuilt). Now that it's warm and easier to work on things (don't have a cozy garage) I'll get to figuring this out. I think deleting the cat's and going with aftermarket hi-flo ones would be a great idea, but I'm thinking that's gonna be a lot of $$$

Weird to me because I only have 33k miles on my truck, why the cat's going out now?... It smells like its burning WAY too rich sometimes... I've already changed two ignition coils that I thought were working incorrectly, but no fix, funny thing is, I changed those before I tried changing plugs, maybe I'll try that next. There's gotta be a reason for failing cats.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Its almost a common thing on the frontier, x's, pathfinders, titans and armadas. The cats are covered by a 8yr/80K warranty, that the dealer cannot dispute unless something was modified to cause the problem.

And changing the o2 sensor will most likely result in a waste of 150 bucks. If you want to try that route, the P0420 code could possibly be caused by the 02 sensor on the passenger side after the cat, not the one before hand. The 2nd 02 sensors is what reads the efficiency the cats are working at.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I've been driving on a po430 for..... 6-8 months or so. I figured it was a o2 sensor or something like that. I have aftermarket cats down the line.... not the ones closest to the engine. The more I've read I probably need to change the one closest to the engine. It's 280$ roughly shipped for the part on Ebay. I might end up going after market also.... I don't know yet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts