Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I apologize in advance if this is posted in the wrong area. I have a 2015 Nissan frontier 4X4 V6 Crew Cab SE

I recently replaced the stock radio with the following:

Pioneer FH-X830BHS
Metra 70-7550 Receiver Wiring Harness - I attached the PDF wire harness diagram

on my stock radio I typically ran the volume around 8-10 and it was plenty loud.

After installing the after market radio, the volume is whisper quiet. I need to turn-up the volume to at least 30 before I get to a comfortable listening volume.

Now I know I am getting old, ears aren't what they used to be ::smile:: but I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

I did find this post on another forum, but wanted to get some opinions from other frontier owners Low Volume with Aftermarket Head Unit - MY350Z.COM Forums

thanks again

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How is it set up ? More details please ?
I installed it as described in the wire harness instructions using the Metra 70-7550 wire harness. I don't believe my truck has a factor pre-amp or anything like that. thanks again!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I need to turn-up the volume to at least 30 before I get to a comfortable listening volume.
At least 30? Mine only goes up to 30 and then stops. How can you go higher? Mine is a stock 2016, did it change from 2015 to 2016?

How high does yours go?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The aftermarket stereo I installed, Pioneer FH-X830BHS, needs to be turned up to 30 before I am able to have a comfortable listening volume.

Correct my stock stereo that I replaced I would turn it up to 8-9. My truck is a 2005 Frontier

thanks

·
Registered
460 Posts
Scales on head units can be different. So 30 is max on that new head unit? There isn't any kind of max volume setting on that head unit to prevent the kiddies in the world from turning the volume to high?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Scales on head units can be different. So 30 is max on that new head unit? There isn't any kind of max volume setting on that head unit to prevent the kiddies in the world from turning the volume to high?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks mdsjohna, I never dug into the audio settings in the after market stereo, but when I did I found exactly what you described. There were level settings for each speaker between 0-10, as well as a loudness setting for the entire stereo at off, low, medium, and high.

I settled on speaker settings of +7, and medium loudness and it gave me the effect I was looking for. Now I only need to turn the radio up to 10-12 to get to a comfortable listening volume. Next time I will read the entire manual, lol :surprise:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah I noticed that as well which I will probably tweak, I use Pandora and other audio through BT, thanks again!

Sent from my LGUS990 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
529 Posts
Maybe I missed it but for the sake of knowing what is the maximum level on the pioneer head unit? Saying it goes to 30 leaves no sense of scale without knowing the maximum level. Thanks

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I never turned it up all the way, but I believe the scale goes up to 100. The dial itself increments pretty slow, meaning to get to 30 takes several turns of the dials.

so what I wanted is it to behave more like my stock radio where slight adjustments get the volume to a position for comfortable listening

thanks

·
Registered
529 Posts
Your aftermarket radio is achieving the same volume level at about 1/3 its total level. Sounds like your listening habits with your old radio were about 1/3 the level. I'd be more worried if you were at like 30 out of 30 or 30 out of 40 but considering you still have 2/3's the level all I could recomend if you want a quicker volume knob is to go back to stock or maybe check out some other units at a store that has Demo head units. I've had some single Din Pioneers that only went up to 40 or so but its been about 10 years since I purchased one. I'm kind of on the hunt for a good double Din head unit that has both a screen for backup camera and phone/media interaction and a knob as well. I have not found one I like so far but someone suggested the other day that I could forego the knob and when you do the control box for the steering wheel controls you can customize the buttons. All I am looking for is a way to quickly mute the radio.

·
Premium Member
7,137 Posts
Could this be a resistance/ohm issue? Stock speakers are 2 ohm...

·
Registered
529 Posts
Ohm's are not going to control how fast the volume knob turns the volume up I am thinking, but I don't think the total volume is the problem in his case. it's just his inability to go up and down as quickly as he likes. Like I said, if he was only turning his stock radio up to 10 then the new one is going up to 30.... then the percentage of volume is the same when you compare the maximum volume level between the two units.

·
Premium Member
6,694 Posts
if he was only turning his stock radio up to 10 then the new one is going up to 30.... then the percentage of volume is the same when you compare the maximum volume level between the two units.
Not necessarily... you're assuming the numbers are linear, but from testing a ton of head units over the years I can tell you that a lot of them are not. For example, one Alpine HU tested with a volume scale of 0-50, you'd think that 25 would be 50% of its total output, but when we checked the output voltage it actually reaches 50% of its output at 32. From 32 to 50 the volume level ramps up faster, because it's on a curve. On the other hand, there were a few OEM head units that did the exact opposite; if the OEM head unit had a volume scale of 0-50, the output level would be at 75% by the time you get to 25! I figured they did this so that when you turn the volume knob, it gets loud fast, tricking you into thinking the OEM head unit is powerful.

IIRC a lot of Pioneer HUs also have a non-linear volume curve. The lower volume numbers take longer to get louder than the upper numbers, which makes sense considering what the OP is experiencing.

All I am looking for is a way to quickly mute the radio.
I have the "MODE" button on my steering wheel re-programmed with an ASWC-1 to do that with my Kenwood HU ::wink::

·
Registered
121 Posts
The 2 Ohm is news to me. Is that for all models? I thought they were 4 Ohm like most other speakers. I replaced my factory bottom of the line radio with a Kenwood Excelon X794 that I had from a while back. Stock speakers still in it. Its sounds better but I'm still going to replace them with aftermarket speakers eventually. My X794 I can only turn up to about 19 before its too loud for me.

·
Registered
529 Posts
artsr2002, Aftermarket everything is about the only way to upgrade the sound quality for certain. Also, if you upgrade your front speakers I'd go with a new set of separates and run a wire separate from the OEM wiring because I have no idea what kind of crappy crossover Nissan may have built into the wiring for the dash "tweaters".

Raine, I guess you are correct in that summary, but the point is, his volume doesn't change fast enough and if he switches to a 4 ohm speaker technically his volume now will be less and technically would change even more slowly? I may be incorrect but I'm basing that idea on the way Amp's build increase output level when you drop the Ohm load, is my thinking on that correct as well?

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
I would think that is correct rpcraft

I would just follow his advise OP

·
Premium Member
6,694 Posts
artsr2002, Aftermarket everything is about the only way to upgrade the sound quality for certain. Also, if you upgrade your front speakers I'd go with a new set of separates and run a wire separate from the OEM wiring because I have no idea what kind of crappy crossover Nissan may have built into the wiring for the dash "tweaters".

Raine, I guess you are correct in that summary, but the point is, his volume doesn't change fast enough and if he switches to a 4 ohm speaker technically his volume now will be less and technically would change even more slowly? I may be incorrect but I'm basing that idea on the way Amp's build increase output level when you drop the Ohm load, is my thinking on that correct as well?
Actually it's not relative. Let's stick to the topic first (WARNING - NERD TIME):

Factory Frontier speakers are 2-ohm; OP is used to a specific volume "curve" that his/her ears hear when turning the volume knob from 0-to-whatever. OP changed head unit only. Realistically, even though they only changed one component in the system, everything in the list below has also changed:

1. Logarithmic volume curve of new head unit
2. Head unit's built-in amplifier output
3. Head unit's built-in amplifier current draw
4. Head unit's built-in amplifier efficiency
5. Head unit's built-in amplifier frequency response
6. Head unit's tone and level range, etc.

So in other words, yes - the OP will hear a different "curve" when turning the volume knob on the aftermarket head unit. On top of that, judging from the previous responses, the OP was listening to the aftermarket head unit with its "flat" setting from the factory. No tone, no EQ, no boost, nothing. That might have been part of the initial underwhelming results. Another cause would be that the OP was using Bluetooth audio - and Bluetooth audio (even the "improved" versions like Apt-X) is still always lower in output and frequency range when compared to "plugged in" audio.

Now to your idea of swapping to 4-ohm, this is unrelated to the initial issue the OP is having. That's because if the OP swapped to 4-ohm speakers (keeping everything else the same) the "volume curve" won't be the same because (just like I just explained above) even though they only changed 1 component, likewise that one change now means everything in the list below has also changed:

1. Speaker efficiency
2. Speaker frequency response
3. Speaker power requirements
4. Speaker sensitivity, etc.

So (and I'm sure I've told everyone this a million times) to truly improve the audio of the Frontier sound system, you have to do 3 things minimum:

1. Change head unit - OEM head unit is still weak on the audio side, with a narrow frequency range and (even worse) a restricted output
2. Change main speakers - OEM speakers are sucky paper and are only good to use with the factory head unit
3. Wire the front dash/door separately if using components (as you mentioned above) because the OEM front speaker wiring does NOT have a crossover; the front dash and door speakers are wired together, and the dash speaker just has an on-board filter (see pic below):

·
Premium Member
6,694 Posts
All that I forgot to answer your other question:

I may be incorrect but I'm basing that idea on the way Amp's build increase output level when you drop the Ohm load, is my thinking on that correct as well?
Short answer: no, actually it's the opposite - because you may be "reducing" the load (4-ohm to 2-ohm), but you are increasing the current required.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts