Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 04 frontier sc with 194xxx miles, when i first test drove it ran really good and had great acceleration,within the first week i replaced the distributor and starter, because it broke down on a parking lot.
The problems is on the highway it takes almost 20 seconds to get to 60 mph, and its impossible to go over 60 mph.
I thought since it was a sc engine it would have way more acceleration but cant seem to find the problem.
The white wire that goes to the knock sensor is cut of, at first i thought that was the culprit but im not getting any cides.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
674 Posts
If the knock sensor wire is cut the ecu will de rate the supercharger, you're probably not building any/too low boost, I would start with fixing the wire

Knock sensor faults don't always set off the check engine light

Did the previous owner say why he cut it? Maybe he had a faulty knock sensor so he cut the wire?

Faulty knock sensors cause drivability problems with the vg33er (supercharged version)

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
129 Posts
Sounds to me like your car is in limp mode. Try resetting the ecu. Lots of easy how to online. I've had the problem after sucking in water while smashing around in puddles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried to bypass the knock sensor with a harness and a spare knock sensor , it didnt help.

i was reading somewhere that premium gas help with avoiding knocks?
, and the previous owner didnt tell me anything about the sensor.
What do you guys recommend doing first.?

·
Registered
674 Posts
I tried to bypass the knock sensor with a harness and a spare knock sensor , it didnt help.

i was reading somewhere that premium gas help with avoiding knocks?
, and the previous owner didnt tell me anything about the sensor.
What do you guys recommend doing first.?
If a knock sensor bypass didn't help try the free stuff first,

Does it go into closed loop when warming up and stay there when driving?

Is your ignition timing set to spec? (You said it ran good until you replaced the distributer so my guess is that's the problem if you put back all the plug wires where they're supposed to be)

Do they spark plugs look good? Gap is good?

Are the o2's fluctuating from 0.1-0.8volts fairly quickly at idle?

Are the rear o2's slowly mimicing the front ones?

Are your long term fuel trims under 10 and above -10?

Does your TPS percentage raise up steady with the throttle? No dead spots?

Is your MAF clean?

Fuel pressure at spec ?

Fuel filter/air filter clean?

Any obvious vacuum leaks after the MAF? (Check the idle air control hose going to the accordian intake duct, check the ribs on the accordian intake duct for cracks)

Is the supercharger supplying boost?

Should be able to come up with a solution when one of those items isn't how it's supposed to be

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
3,188 Posts
If you are not running 91 octane or better fuel, that could be your whole problem right there. Mine ran like a slug when I got my '03 a little over a year ago (which also had close to 200,000 miles on it). Being a former Nissan tech, I knew these engine need premium to run right and my first trip was to the gas station to fill up with 93. Within a day it was running the way it should. If there is any detonation detected by the ECM via the knock sensor, it will disable the boost solenoid and the engine will feel like it has less power than a naturally aspirated 3.3L. In addition to all of the suggestions in the previous posts, make sure the boost actuator is working properly and all of the vacuum hoses are in good condition.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you are not running 91 octane or better fuel, that could be your whole problem right there. Mine ran like a slug when I got my '03 a little over a year ago (which also had close to 200,000 miles on it). Being a former Nissan tech, I knew these engine need premium to run right and my first trip was to the gas station to fill up with 93. Within a day it was running the way it should. If there is any detonation detected by the ECM via the knock sensor, it will disable the boost solenoid and the engine will feel like it has less power than a naturally aspirated 3.3L. In addition to all of the suggestions in the previous posts, make sure the boost actuator is working properly and all of the vacuum hoses are in good condition.
If the knock sensor wire is cut it will never achieve full power. I just hooked up one and insulated it and tied it to a wire loom and not to the block. Just be careful if you hear any knocking retard the timing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts