Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone newbie here
I have an 04 with off road package I am the original owner and just hit 100K
I know with the off road package the mpg wasn’t great to start
I have a few issues I need to tackle and don’t know where to begin
Mpg sucks big time changed plugs wires filters with no change
Also has been losing horse power gradually over the past couple years
What to do? Where do I start?
Steering makes some loud clunking noises when trying to make a sharp turn. Always did it but it doesn’t seem right

any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
155 Posts
Get a cheap OBD2 reader and confirm that you have a knock sensor code because you probably do. When confirmed, swoop a cheap new knock sensor from RockAuto. Look into what it takes to do the knock sensor relocation mod because replacing the knock sensor in its stock location is considered impossible by most mortals.

In the meantime you could put a timing light on your engine and make sure it's at 10 degrees before top dead center (third line from the left on the crank pulley). Don't be a dummy like me and wait to do such a simple diagnostic procedure if you haven't already.

·
Registered
2017 Pro-4X w/Luxury Package
1,148 Posts
The steering clunk could be the stops built into the spindles, especially if it does this when going over bumps with the wheel hard left or right.

The little plastic or soft metal covers for them wear away or fall off and you get metal to metal contact, hence the noise.

·
Registered
2004 Nissan Frontier XE KC KA24DE
4,189 Posts
Circled in this pic is the nylon steering stop on my 04 2wd KA24DE. Got them from my local dealership.
Tire Wheel Plant Automotive tire Vehicle

1 - 4 of 4 Posts