Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 King Cab that the Drivers lock will not always unlock. It will twitch, but not fully unlock. After climbing in from the passenger side and driving for a little while when I try to unlock it again it will finally unlock. The lock seems to be getting worse and worse so I need to fix it.

Is this a faulty actuator? Is this the part I need?
http://www.autozone.com/electrical-and-lighting/door-lock-actuator/duralast-door-lock-actuator/827853_0_0_78655

Does anyone have any instructions/video of how to replace it?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Does the door lock operate readily using the key (both to unlock and lock) ????

My guess - and just a guess at this point because only had this issue on a 1988 Suburban - is that something that could just be lubed. On that Sub, we had driver door that could not open manually unlock from inside, with a key, or from outside, had to crawl over while on vacation. A week after returning, electrical lock did work to unlock it to open, so I pulled off the door panel and lubed it all up, never again had the issue.

Of course, that Autozone part is not so expensive, but I say first to try lube of the mechanism.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Yep - Give it a spritz of silicone lubricant first.

ATF also works pretty well - It doesn't get much thicker in cold weather, doesn't affect rubber parts, and is thin enough to seep into tiny spaces.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Ya, I had the locks on a mini van do the same thing. Finally had to take the door panels off and clean the mechanism. Do not lube afterwards with oil. If you must use a dry lube such as a graphite.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts