-Drilled and Slotted Front Brake Rotors

In Progress:
- Getting the thing running again.

·
Registered
2004 Frontier XE 2WD KA24DET
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks to the new boost gauge I installed today, I now know that I'm running at 14psi (the screen on my AVC-R went dead so I haven't actually known until now). The motor is built to rev to about 8500rpm; not that the ECU will let it get anywhere near that, yet.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. About 17-18psi is where it starts to lean out. I usually keep an eye on the vitals, but I agree, it does need larger injectors. I haven't taken the time to find the specs on the turbo yet. It's hidden away in an old computer that barely works so once that's up and running I'll have a dyno sheet and better specs.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Today I went ahead and installed another boost controller I picked up. The install went pretty smooth and I'm happy with being able to control the boost now. There is a little boost creep, but that's probably due to my choice to use 4mm vacuum tubing instead of the required 6mm. I was going for a get-it-in-there-before-it-gets-dark approach.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tried some staggered Nismo LMGT wheels off of a 350Z on for size today. I think I have found my new wheel. I'll need to downsize the tire in the front to clear the fenders but I love this look.

Also, here is a picture of the lug conversion setup. Sort of a leftover from the previous owner. I'm probably going to start looking for a thinner adapter because I almost feel that this is unsafe and definitely bad for my wheel bearings.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
More pictures.

Before putting it on the dyno I tried to move the MAF sensor and the filter away from the turbo a bit but, while if fixed the stalling out after boost issue, it caused turbo flutter (big no-no). Needless to say I was a bit disappointed with the numbers. Since then I have found a few flaws in the original build that I need to attend to. The exhaust system basically needs to be redone since it's about 3-4 different diameters and it needs the addition of a flex joint to prevent further cracking of the exhaust manifold (yet another piece I have to fix).

When I pulled the plugs (a better choice in temperature could've been made) I noticed that the gaps were all over the place ranging from 30 at the smallest to 39 at the largest. Having re-gapped them all to 30, it runs a bit smoother but I haven't driven it enough to really notice any difference.

Currently the truck has no reverse gear due to my own fault. I will most likely swap in a working trans before the month is out and then begin attending to the glaring issues with the build. From there it should be time for some fun.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's been a little while since my last update. I had my original 4-different-sizes exhaust cut out and a true 3" mandrel bent exhaust welded up. I also ended up going back to 6 lug due to the nightmare that was drilling out the stripped allen bolts holding the adapters together. Picked up a nice set of Titan wheels from work and here is the result.

I'm thinking about throwing some higher profile tires on once I'm done burning through these tires.

The best thing about this truck is showing up to a car meet or driving next to another enthusiast when the blowoff valve releases and watching jaws hit the floor while people point at it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Is that an all custom turbo kit?? My stock KA is pretty wimpy wimpy wimpy...

·
Registered
33 Posts
If you don't mind me asking, how much did the turbo kit cost you? I have a 98 KA 4x4 that I've been looking into turboing, but it's still my only vehicle and I can't really afford to throw crazy stupid money at it. I'm not looking for something as crazy awesome as yours, only probably like 8-10psi or so, and I've been looking all over to find someone who has a turbo truck like mine. Any tips/input you'd have would be greatly appreciated too! Love the truck by the way, those Titan wheels give it a great stance

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't know exact numbers on the build seeing as I purchased the truck post-build but I have a vague idea. The charge piping was mostly leftover piping from our shop so at most that cost about $40 and the intercooler and exhaust manifold were both ebay parts that I can only imagine being valued at $250 max. The turbo was a used "Super 60" turbo that you can get off of a variety of cars. the blowoff valve is a $50 knock-off but it does the job for now. The 3" exhaust I had done after I purchased it and that cost me about $300 which included mandrel bends, a flex joint and the tip. My boost controller cost me about $150 but I'm definitely not in love with it. CXRacing also makes an entire kit for the Frontier; I'm actually planning on buying their tubular exhaust manifold for my truck seeing as how this knock-off cast one is cracked beyond repair.

I would definitely recommend a good boost controller to prevent over boost situations. Do a lot of research before hand; it'll teach you a lot. I'd be very cautious boosting with stock internals though. I'm lucky to have gotten this far without a tune.

On an unrelated note, it seems my oil pump is going out on me so I'll be replacing that relatively soon. I might end up needing new main bearings so I might park it and drive my other vehicle while I save up. Once the maintenance is done, it'll be time for trading the ebay parts for reliable non-knock-off pieces.

I want to work towards a goal of getting this thing tuned. I'm pretty confident that if I just had the truck tuned in the state it is in now it would probably push 300hp but using this SAFC2 to trick the ECU can only do so much. The truck will run pretty rich sometimes and it doesn't handle certain driving situations very well. A tune combined with legitimate supporting modifications should get this thing into tip top shape.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Welp, it looks like I'll be upgrading my blow off valve pretty soon here. I'm looking at a Forge universal unit. I went and bought the oil pump but I've let the truck sit for a few weeks now. Just have to get around to putting her all back together.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It was about time to crack down and rebuild this puppy.

Plans:
New main bearings
New rod bearings
Turbo rebuild
Tubular exhaust manifold
Tial blow-off valve
External wastegate
Larger injectors
S13 ecu
S13 engine harness
S13 intake manifold?
Tune