Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so back again with another tech question for the Nissan savy :)

The reverse lights on my frontier do not work. They haven't worked in months. Sometimes, I get lucky, and the lights turn on for a tiny bit (maybe 1 second), then turn off. Other than that, no matter how many times I shift into reverse, it doesn't turn on. We've taken the lense off, checked the bulbs to see if they were out, checked the fuses, ect., nothing.

Before the headlights went out, my father mistakenly had large plastic box in his hand, and as he was walking near the truck, he smashed a small hole in the LEFT rear tail light. Sure enough, tape was not enough to cover it, and the tail light soon filled with water.

So I'm asking, knowing that not even new light bulbs will correct this issue, what should I do? What is the problem? Do I have to buy new wiring to replace the wiring that goes from the front of the truck to the rear?

I mean, everything else works..The night time lights work, the brake lights work...Its the reverse lights that don't.

Thank you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Reverse lights not working on my 04 frontier

I was just trying to fix ours. No luck with new bulbs. Fuses are fine. Brake lights work, running lights work, blinker lights work, but reverse lights don't work.:confused::confused:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same issue

Mine is an '03 DR and I have a similar issue. Sometimes in reverse no lights at all and other times it flickers in and out as I work the clutch and backup.

I don't think it has anything to do with bulbs or broken tail lenses or fuses. I think there's a switch or sensor on the tranny that should send power to the reverse lights when you shift into reverse. That's the part that I think is causing the problem?

I haven't been able to do more than take a quick look under there - I'll repost if I find something.

·
Registered
46 Posts
i had this problem. reverse sw on side of tranny. r& r. 38$ @ dlr. easy job. this applies if u have a 5 spd.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I had this problem on another vehicle and it was the reverse switch on the transmission. As said it was pretty cheap and easy.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Another option, Does your truck have trailer wiring? We had a ground break on one of our old trucks that shorted all the lights on the back. Might be another place to look. The reverse switch does sound like a likely culprit though.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Another option, Does your truck have trailer wiring? We had a ground break on one of our old trucks that shorted all the lights on the back. Might be another place to look. The reverse switch does sound like a likely culprit though.
Here's the wiring diagram for the reverse lamp circuit; it might help troubleshoot.

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 Toyota 4runner TRDOR
4,593 Posts
Probably the PNP switch. I believe thats located in the console by the shifter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts