Nissan Frontier Forum banner

81 - 88 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
In the past I've have issues with vehicles that would die once they got warm. On my old Chevy it was the ignition module inside the distributor and on an Acura it was the same thing but Honda calls it an Igniter.
My gauge never goes up past the middle. But components like the distributor could still be hot, like marginally too hot if the fan clutch was marginal; so I'm not ruling that out at this time. Intermittents are tough !!!

I'll be driving my '98 with the 2004 MAF sensor 100 miles today, and I'll see if that drives as normal.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Still having the stalling issue when idling, drove it down 100 miles today, was perfectly fine until the first red light after 95 miles, would've had no clue there was something wrong. So I dropped the truck at the shop, not going to throw parts at it !!!

·
Registered
917 Posts
Did the MAF fix your previous issue?

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Did the MAF fix your previous issue?
Nope, swapping MAF sensors with my 1998 Frontier did not affect things at all. '98 still runs fine, 2004 still has stalling while idling.

Before the 100-mile trip yesterday, I did change spark plugs (looked like rich mixture to me, may be a clue), and added a can of Berryman B-12 Chemtool fuel injector cleaner to the gas tank. No change, and one cannot tell that anything is malfunctioning while actually driving. Did get a P0172 service engine code, too much gasoline detected in exhaust.

I should hear something from the shop today, will post.

Reactions: TxDayTrader

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
I did hear from the shop Friday afternoon. They believe that they found a couple of issues, said I could pick up the truck and drive it several days, and bring back on Monday if it still acted up, or I could leave it at the shop and they could drive it more on Monday. The shop owner preferred that I leave the truck there, so I did that.

Going from our phone conversation, he said some wiring issue in the cabin compartment going to the ECU so the EGR circuit wasn't getting electrical power, and I think a rich running condition due to a bad oxygen sender (I never had an O2 sender check engine code). I'll update further next week when I pick up the truck.

Reactions: TxDayTrader

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
OK, truck runs fine now, so that's good, and I'm happy. Here's the report: There was no electrical power to the EGR sensor; one pin in the ECU connector was bent slightly and not making good contact with the ECU. Also, they replaced a bad oxygen sensor (Denso 234-3113).

I cannot remember if I even TRIED to access the ECU back in Jan. 2014 when I installed the Rostra aftermarket cruise control (I may have tried such on this truck, or maybe on the 1998 Frontier, cannot remember). In any event, "if" that bent pin in the harness was due to ME, that would've been 7 years ago and the stalling just started recently, so being OK for 7 years doesn't sound like it was due to anything I did.

Anyway: finding the harness pin bent is way above my pay grade. Obviously, I am capable of replacing an oxygen sender, but from the Service Engine Codes, I wasn't directed to a bad oxygen sender. So I'm satisfied with what shop did, and I no longer have the P0406 EGR temperature sender and P0462 Low fuel sensor codes.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Wow, Bent Pin and just recently caused problems, thats weird. Sounds like an awesome shop tho for sure

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
The P0406 EGR temperature sender code - for which many would've simply thrown a new sender on it (which requires a special deep 14mm socket with a slit in it for the wires) - likely was a good clue. And they diagnosed the EGR circuit of not getting power (I may have checked for voltage at that sender when I first got that code about 3 years ago, cannot remember).

Assuming that I bent just that one pin 7 years ago, would be weird that it took so long to affect things. Anyway, glad it seems to be fixed, will give it a decent 30-mile run today to softball.

Such new sender goes for $300 at O'Reilly https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...frontier?q=egr+valve+temperature+sensor&pos=0

I will say that I pulled spark plugs to look at them, and this time they looked normal, where mixture had been running rich, and my very-recent check engine code "P0172 too much gasoline being detected in the exhaust gases exiting the combustion chamber".

So my best guess is that the P0406 EGR temperature sender and P0462 low fuel sensor check engine codes were due to the bent harness pin which did not affect the stalling, and the stalling issue was due to bad oxygen sender causing a too-rich mixture.
I knew it was running rich, but don't know enough about fuel injection to associate that directly with a bad oxygen sender; so I never checked the oxygen sender itself, figured that there would be a "check engine code" for that directly. So I've learned something.

Reactions: Stephanie Cap
81 - 88 of 88 Posts