Nissan Frontier Forum banner

61 - 80 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
My electric blue 2004 has been spared the sun-induced paint peeling much more than its brothers; my main area of peel has been by the passenger window.

Knowing that more paint would peel off during touch up attempts (I know that from my white '98 Frontier), I took the coward's way out and ordered 3/4 inch striping tape through Amazon. I used that to cover up the paint peel area.

·
Registered
236 Posts
My electric blue 2004 has been spared the sun-induced paint peeling much more than its brothers; my main area of peel has been by the passenger window.

Knowing that more paint would peel off during touch up attempts (I know that from my white '98 Frontier), I took the coward's way out and ordered 3/4 inch striping tape through Amazon. I used that to cover up the paint peel area.
My 02 Electric Blue has some peeling around the left rear window and tailgate, otherwise it's held up well between TN and TX.

·
Registered
236 Posts
When did I say that? I've never owned a Mazda truck. I've had a couple of Toyota trucks and IMO my Nissan is much better quality.

·
Registered
131 Posts
When did I say that? I've never owned a Mazda truck. I've had a couple of Toyota trucks and IMO my Nissan is much better quality.
Your right, I mint to address Cusser.
[/QUOTE

·
Registered
131 Posts

So I noticed you said you once had a B2200. I was wondering witch truck do you think had the better build quality, Mazda or Nissan?

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
So I noticed you said you once had a B2200. I was wondering witch truck do you think had the better build quality, Mazda or Nissan?
Actually, I still have my 1988 Mazda B2200 Cab Plus, 220K on it, and I had the engine completely rebuilt professionally in February, to fix a oil burning/smoking and leaking issues. The B2200 is stock except has an aftermarket Weber carburetor.

Build quality - I'd say about the same. My two 2.4liter Frontiers have considerably more hp than the B2200, like 143 v. 85. The AC in the Frontiers (R134a) works better (cools better/faster) than the B2200 (R-12). I've had more AC issues with the B2200, but remember its technology is 10-16 years earlier than my Frontiers, and I'm in Arizona so AC is used 90% of the time. All three are 5-speed transmissions. My B2200 is nice inside and out, nicer than 99% of the few remaining on the roads; and the B2200 is more fun to drive, so I consider it my daily driver. But for highways and commuting to my place where it's cooler (100 miles away), I typically use the 1998 Frontier, as it has 253K on it.

My two Frontiers get at least 25mpg, where the B2200 has historically gotten 19mpg; I assume that the fuel injection is a primary reason.

Reactions: butterman2473

·
Registered
131 Posts
Actually, I still have my 1988 Mazda B2200 Cab Plus, 220K on it, and I had the engine completely rebuilt professionally in February, to fix a oil burning/smoking and leaking issues. The B2200 is stock except has an aftermarket Weber carburetor.

Build quality - I'd say about the same. My two 2.4liter Frontiers have considerably more hp than the B2200, like 143 v. 85. The AC in the Frontiers (R134a) works better (cools better/faster) than the B2200 (R-12). I've had more AC issues with the B2200, but remember its technology is 10-16 years earlier than my Frontiers, and I'm in Arizona so AC is used 90% of the time. All three are 5-speed transmissions. My B2200 is nice inside and out, nicer than 99% of the few remaining on the roads; and the B2200 is more fun to drive, so I consider it my daily driver. But for highways and commuting to my place where it's cooler (100 miles away), I typically use the 1998 Frontier, as it has 253K on it.

My two Frontiers get at least 25mpg, where the B2200 has historically gotten 19mpg; I assume that the fuel injection is a primary reason.
View attachment 322458
That looks pretty good. I once had to barrow a 80's Dodge Ram 50 with a Mitsubishi engine, now that was a really cheaply made truck compared to a Frontier.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
My B2200 was made in Japan, and the two Frontiers in USA.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Finally got around to it, looked up online for replacement King Cab Side Panel Clip for my 2004 rear sections. The drawing for the clip look like a retarded 3-year drew them, but I ordered 3 from local dealer and picked them up today, after 45 minute wait at the dealer's parts counter, and they are the correct ones. Tan and gray are still available, and I paid $1.09 each. Tan Nissan 01553-0061U, Gray Nissan 01553-0060U

#22 in this diagram

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
I also made a 14mm deep socket to remove the EGR temperature sensor. $2.78 from Home Depot and a hacksaw; like I chimpanzee: I made tool !!!

·
Registered
2004 Nissan Frontier XE KC KA24DE
3,360 Posts
I also made a 14mm deep socket to remove the EGR temperature sensor. $2.78 from Home Depot and a hacksaw; like I chimpanzee: I made tool !!!
View attachment 324130
Reminds me of a song by the band "Tool" - Right in Two
You can listen to the song and read the lyrics at this link. Right in Two Lyrics
Scroll down and click the watch song video (see attached pic)
Then scroll back up to read the lyrics as the song plays.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Got a late call from the dentist office up north, hygienist is sick, so today's app't. canceled, and I need to call in when they open in an hour to reschedule. So the trip to the 2004 Frontier 100 miles away will not likely happen today.

I also had another thought on the stalling/MAF investigation: looks like exact same part on my '98 Frontier, so I could mark that one with a paint pen and swap those to see if the issue stays or "moves" with the MAF sensor.

The EGR temperature sensor for the 2004 does NOT switch over though.

And did you need to jack up the body a little for access to remove the fuel pump harness? And were you able to reach in from the side, or from underneath and work "blind" ???

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Well, one might think that just FINDING the MAFS sensor on the Frontiers would be straightforward, especially since I have the official service manuals for both my '98 and 2004 Frontiers. But no. Online information and videos showed only V6 Frontiers or newer Frontiers which are completely different and have these MAFS in-line in the air intake. I finally found this diagram, so took the air cleaner assembly off the '98 and found it, on the passenger side of the throttle body, so I made this diagram:

When I crawled under the '98 to explore whether I'd be able to disconnect and re-connect the fuel pump harness to try to remedy that code, I noticed that the 3" fuel line to the fuel filter was leaking; always something....

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
Got a late call from the dentist office up north, hygienist is sick, so today's app't. canceled, and I need to call in when they open in an hour to reschedule. So the trip to the 2004 Frontier 100 miles away will not likely happen today.

I also had another thought on the stalling/MAF investigation: looks like exact same part on my '98 Frontier, so I could mark that one with a paint pen and swap those to see if the issue stays or "moves" with the MAF sensor.

The EGR temperature sensor for the 2004 does NOT switch over though.

And did you need to jack up the body a little for access to remove the fuel pump harness? And were you able to reach in from the side, or from underneath and work "blind" ???

Thanks.
I blindly reached up to disconnect the fuel assembly harness.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
I blindly reached up to disconnect the fuel assembly harness.
On my '98 Frontier, the fuel pump harness/connector is on top of frame rail, passenger side. Its wire bundle is about 12 inches long. I'm thinkin' of getting up to the 2004 Frontier Monday afternoon.

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
On my '98 Frontier, the fuel pump harness/connector is on top of frame rail, passenger side. Its wire bundle is about 12 inches long. I'm thinkin' of getting up to the 2004 Frontier Monday afternoon.
Sounds like they're in the exact same location.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Well, one might think that just FINDING the MAFS sensor on the Frontiers would be straightforward, especially since I have the official service manuals for both my '98 and 2004 Frontiers. But no. Online information and videos showed only V6 Frontiers or newer Frontiers which are completely different and have these MAFS in-line in the air intake. I finally found this diagram, so took the air cleaner assembly off the '98 and found it, on the passenger side of the throttle body, so I made this diagram:
View attachment 324160
I decided that the best thing to do to determine if the 2004 MAF sensor was bad would be to swap the MAF sensors from my 1998 Frontier to my 2004 Frontier (same part number), and vice versa, to see if the stalling issue traveled with the MAF sensor, or stayed with the 2004. This swap was pretty easy, and I marked each with a paint pen before swapping. So time will tell.

As to the two error codes that I've had for 3 years on the 2004, I disconnected and re-connected the fuel pump harness and also the EGR temperature sender, and cleared the OBD2 codes. But I'll be driving back to Phoenix Tuesday in the '98, so the only real test of the 2004 will be if the '98 now has similar stalling issue after getting off the highway.

And I'm not 100% convinced that the fan clutch in the 2004 is not involved even though the gauge/engine does not run hot - maybe an electronic component like the distributor is getting too hot, and I do notice more resistance of the '98's fan clutch (replaced 2017) than the 2004's (factory original)

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
I decided that the best thing to do to determine if the 2004 MAF sensor was bad would be to swap the MAF sensors from my 1998 Frontier to my 2004 Frontier (same part number), and vice versa, to see if the stalling issue traveled with the MAF sensor, or stayed with the 2004. This swap was pretty easy, and I marked each with a paint pen before swapping. So time will tell.

As to the two error codes that I've had for 3 years on the 2004, I disconnected and re-connected the fuel pump harness and also the EGR temperature sender, and cleared the OBD2 codes. But I'll be driving back to Phoenix Tuesday in the '98, so the only real test of the 2004 will be if the '98 now has similar stalling issue after getting off the highway.

And I'm not 100% convinced that the fan clutch in the 2004 is not involved even though the gauge/engine does not run hot - maybe an electronic component like the distributor is getting too hot, and I do notice more resistance of the '98's fan clutch (replaced 2017) than the 2004's (factory original)
The temp gauge needle won't begin to move past it's normal operating temperature position until it's near °220f.
Well, that's how I discovered it is with my 04.

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
In the past I've have issues with vehicles that would die once they got warm. On my old Chevy it was the ignition module inside the distributor and on an Acura it was the same thing but Honda calls it an Igniter.

61 - 80 of 88 Posts