Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dec. 2011, I purchased a 2004 Frontier King Cab (2WD, 5-speed, 4-cylinder, 89K miles) to be the B2600i Cab Plus I never had, knowing something like it would be impossible to find once my '88 B2200 goes to Mazda heaven.

When I changed out the fuel filter (looked like original one to me, still stated "Nissan" and from the position of the screws access for the hose clamps).

Aug. 2015:

I traded locations with my B2200 for a month, and decided that the Frontier shocks were gone. I removed the front shocks, they had absolutely zero rebound and not much resistance. Here's one I compressed by hand, not a bit of rebound v. one I pulled to extended length.

I also replaced the rear shocks too, they were also pretty bad. I used Gabriel ProGuard both front and back, Autozone lifetime.

I also decided to make a set-in shelf for the frontier, to hold my radar detector in place on the dashboard. cord is too short to use well on a visor (and the Arizona sun is bright, and relentless). Here's what I made; the tapered cone rubber stopper foot shape is very important to the design.

Here's the shelf placed on the dashboard, the stoppers fit in the defrost vents. The velcro will hold the bottom of the radar detector.

Reactions: Here2Learn

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Good truck! I like the blue. If they had a blue stick on the lot I would have bought it (wanted that extra 3mpg).

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, took this truck to California and back from Arizona, no issues.

Today, when in work parking lot, getting ready to drive home, terrible screech from front of engine at start up (AC was off, engine did run), on 4th try with flashlight in hand: no more sound, and no sound the 7-mile trip home, using the AC (Arizona, duh !!!).

Remember, this is the 4-cylinder, 5-speed. Once I got home, I tried some start ups, no noise. So all I did today was pull the power steering belt loose and spin the PS idler pulley, it felt fine. Power steering pump also turned readily, smooth and quiet.

Next the AC belt comes off and I take a look-see there.

Alternator is original, 95K miles. I'm open to suggestions.

·
Registered
158 Posts
OK, took this truck to California and back from Arizona, no issues.

Today, when in work parking lot, getting ready to drive home, terrible screech from front of engine at start up (AC was off, engine did run), on 4th try with flashlight in hand: no more sound, and no sound the 7-mile trip home, using the AC (Arizona, duh !!!).

Remember, this is the 4-cylinder, 5-speed. Once I got home, I tried some start ups, no noise. So all I did today was pull the power steering belt loose and spin the PS idler pulley, it felt fine. Power steering pump also turned readily, smooth and quiet.

Next the AC belt comes off and I take a look-see there.

Alternator is original, 95K miles. I'm open to suggestions.
I'd still bet on the idler pulley. I had one on a 98 that only squealed intermittently (maybe once a week) but eventually had a catastrophic fail.

·
Premium Member
6,732 Posts
Try new belts first. A good investment either way.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I Love that blue! Nice looking truck cusser, wish i was rocking that color instead of the plain ol Silver aha. I have the same problem my belt is super loud. I believe something is wrong with it, if i go to tighten it up it will start smoking/rubbing from the belt. But then again its not even that tight. i was tightening it down to normal, so im running it a little loose so it doesn't rub. Not sure what would cause this issue.

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd still bet on the idler pulley. I had one on a 98 that only squealed intermittently (maybe once a week) but eventually had a catastrophic fail.
Could be.

This didn't sound like a belt squeal (I've had those in the past on my 1998 4-cylinder Frontier).

Anyway, I removed the power steering belt, still haven't heard any noise since start-up late yesterday afternoon at work. So I just drove today without any power steering. I need to get this truck 100 miles away so I can pick up my B2200 up north, leaving Friday so likely will drive it up there without any power steering, and if noise doesn't come back, then figure on replacing the PS belt and/or the PS idler and wait for noise to return. If I just put the belt back on I may encounter that noise when I don't want to, so I'll need to make sure I have 14mm socket and 14mm box wrench and a pair of gloves available in the Frontier in case I need to remove the PS belt "on the road".

Maybe Thursday morning before work I can crawl underneath to check out that AC idler pulley. On my 1998 Frontier, the AC idler went out before the PS idler.

Anyway, I found that O'Reilly can get me a new pulley within a day, and that Autozone stocks them; both are under $30 and have 1-year warranty. I guess replacement bearings are just not tapped in so much these days.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I may encounter that noise when I don't want to, so I'll need to make sure I have 14mm socket and 14mm box wrench and a pair of gloves available in the Frontier in case I need to remove the PS belt "on the road".
Or a good knife or pair of snips.

Hopefully it's one of the idlers or belts. I have had a couple of water pump bearings give out (on other vehicles) and they let out a few god-awful screeches before they start to howl and smoke. I suppose any accessory could do that.

I believe something is wrong with it, if i go to tighten it up it will start smoking/rubbing from the belt. But then again its not even that tight.
Is it the right width? Maybe it's not sitting in the "V" correctly because it's too wide or narrow. The only other thing I could think of to make it smoke would be if it's slipping on the accessory pulley which could be caused by a bad accessory bearing. Just a guess.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Is it the right width? Maybe it's not sitting in the "V" correctly because it's too wide or narrow. The only other thing I could think of to make it smoke would be if it's slipping on the accessory pulley which could be caused by a bad accessory bearing. Just a guess.
It's a OEM Belt. it should of worked, got it when i was working at Nissan and had the guys replace my alternator when the bracket snapped and the belt. Maybe they did order the wrong belt? once they tightened it down to normal it squealed and starting smoking up the garage.. he loosened it up and no smoke but its under-tightened in my book, it has some play if i tug on it.

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Coming back to my thread: after work and the gym there, I started driving home, no noise again. I kept on driving the extra 1.5 miles to Autozone, as at lunchtime I saw that they stocked a replacement power steering pulley for $24, and O'Reilly didn't. So I picked that up, will install tomorrow morning before work, feel I need to do something positive rather than just re-install the belt and "hope" that the noise doesn't re-occur, or wait until something seizes and takes a belt with it (like happened on my '98 Frontier).

I figure worst case scenario for that $24 is that if it's actually something else wrong, then I'll have a replacement pulley that fits both the '98 and 2004 Frontier.

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did install that PS idler this morning, no noise to work or back, or taking daughter to the airport.

Anyway, no noise with the new PS idler pulley installed. After work, I did spin the removed pulley again, and spun it and held it to my ear, and it does sound "iffy to me. And there's no residue from a belt riding past a pulley.

So if I was a betting Little Cuss, I'd bet that I found it. I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken - Yogi Berra

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Update: that noise has not returned.

Thought I'd do a routine oil & filter change on it yesterday before taking it on vacation in about 6 weeks, and weather is nicer here than in Phoenix and I had a few hours today, so why not?

Anyway, saw some dripping of coolant, doubt any Jiffy Lube guy would've seen that, so I'm investigating and hoping to fix today. So follow up and pictures later....
Hopefully its just a bad hose or a loose clamp.
The leak I saw:

Well, it turned out to be a leaking water pump AND a leaking 2-inch radiator hose (apparently Nissan thought it would be a smart idea to have at the top of the lower radiator hose a plastic coupler and a 3-inch piece of radiator hose to attach to the thermostat water outlet, held by those factory spring-type clamps. I know some of you prefer those over worm clamps, but they were a bear to remove, and the one holding the hose onto the water outlet was leaking.

Water pump leak (using mirror)

Hose leak at water outlet from thermostat

Residue in small hose and on water outlet

Cleaned water outlet

Guy at local O'Reilly saw that I had replaced the water pump before (but it was in my 1998 Frontier) so he said he'd do a warranty swap. Install was straightforward even though I didn't have a torque wrench up here. I used thin film of RTV and the gasket supplied with the water pump (Frontier service manual shows only RTV, and no gasket there upon removal), and I bought a thermostat gasket too and did same. So I buttoned it up, filled it up, washed it off, drove it to a nice winery concert this afternoon, checked for leaks upon return - NONE !!! So tomorrow just have to replace the plastic engine shield (6 bolts).

I think it was wise to address this now, most leaks do NOT heal on their own, wouldn't want to do this "on the road" on a Sunday afternoon !!!

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
OK, just returned from 1700 mile vacation to Colorado in this 2004 Frontier, no issues, ran great. Because it is 4-cylinder, 5-speed, King Cab and we were pretty loaded, did have to downshift a few times on the Colorado mountain passes. The aftermarket cruise control I added a few years ago worked fine.

I've had a windshield crack on this Frontier for about a year, maybe 8 inches long. I didn't even notice this at first because the crack is hidden behind the rear view mirror when I drive, and has been slowly growing (Sharpie line method to show this).

Anyway, I do have 100% glass coverage on this vehicle, so I'll likely be replacing the windshield soon. Here in Arizona several glass companies mail coupons for $100 cash back on windshield replacements done through insurance, so there must be some sort of graft, as cash price is generally like $200. So has anyone had this type of service done with a cash rebate, and have comments?

Anyone know what glass company actually bills the insurance company to still make a profit after rebating $100 ??? Sure does sound like some sort of scam !!! But maybe scam against the insurance business and not me ???

EDIT: actually the crack took a turn to the right yesterday, and now is like 16 inches long, so it's time !!!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Windshield for mine is about $385 MSRP purchased from Courtesy Parts for the glass alone. My insurance company uses Safelite which charges $345 for a complete install with OEM glass if you're paying out of pocket. The price difference between the cost of the glass from Courtesy and the full install price seems to indicate that the installers are getting some fairly hefty price breaks considering that an hour of labor is involved.

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Yeah, figure that I can't "fix" the whole insurance racket myself, scheduled repair appointment tomorrow morning, no cost to me out of pocket, and apparently $100 cash into my pocket.

Anyway, took the Frontier on that vacation, it had a good time. It even made friends with a cat.

We saw a moose and a bear

Saw a sloth in the zoo that was actually moving at a pretty good pace, came inside from outside

Went to Seven Falls in Colorado Springs (where we saw the bear), 185 steps up. Then the 225 more shown in this photo.

And we were standin' at the corner in Winslow, Arizona, such a fine sight to see

It's a girl my Lord in a flat-bed Ford

Reactions: Here2Learn

·
Registered
79 Posts
My truck looks the same but it's a SC 2003. Does your paint chip off easy?

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My truck looks the same but it's a SC 2003. Does your paint chip off easy?
My paint has not come off readily, maybe because it doesn't bake in the sun as much, that's my theory. Because in my neighborhood 2 Electric Blue Frontiers parked outside every day EACH has had the paint on the side facing Arizona afternoon sun peel off in sheets (one on driver side, one on passenger side, as parked opposite). I wonder if the metallic content and blue color actually make it hotter than other colors.

Even the masking tape from the replacement windshield did NOT pull off any paint, and would have most likely on my 1998 white Frontier which sits outside and started to peel a few years ago.

Anyway, the windshield replacement looks to have gone well.

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Now, April 2017, up north, leaving the golf course yesterday with daughter, decided to use the AC as the 2004 Frontier had been sitting in the sun. Dang - no AC. Belt was on, AC clutch did engage, but lines did not get hot and cold.

I've had this Frontier 5.5 years now, never had had an AC issue, will need to bring up my AC stuff or take the Frontier down to Phoenix to check out. At 13 years old now, it is possible that the refrigerant loss is just "normal" attrition through the compressor seal/shaft, and keeping the truck up north where it doesn't get as hot and on last year's vacation to Colorado never really stressed the AC.

So it's time to check for leakage of refrigerant and measure some pressures. At 98.5K, except for a battery and a water pump seepage/replacement, not much has gone bad on this truck. I'll update what I find.

·
Premium Member
6,732 Posts
Not sure what is par for the AC course, but those lil Gen 1s are/were great trucks to be sure. Am probably lucky, but never had to do squat to my '00 Gen 1's...though, I'm not much of an AC guy overall - unless my gal is accompanying me. Was still making ice cubes when I sold it 9/15.
Might there be any extra added stress between a dry vs wet heat?
Good luck on your trouble shootin', Cusser.

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Operating pressures read low. System did not contain any UV dye.

I bought a 12 oz. can of R134a that contained just UV dye, and added all 12 oz. Pressures at 2000 rpm read 35 psi on low and 225 on high side, pretty normal readings now. I didn't see any signs of leakage or residue, so will be conservative and just try out, don't want to overcharge either.

I'll check out more on trip from Prescott to Chino valley Thursday afternoon. Tomorrow morning it will be oil & filter change on that truck.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts