Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
So I went out last week, and bought my 9th Nissan 4x4 pick-up in 23 yrs.
It's 03 XE Frontier, I was really torn between this one and,a crew cab.
I was hoping to get more tool-storage capacity(inside the cab) with a cc,but when I really looked one over,there really was not a lot more than a kc. Between that, and the MPG thing and... $$.....? I am back w/t my ninth KC
Anyhow, one of the features I wanted from the CC was the roof-rack.I snagged one @ the scrap yard for 100$(2001 x-terra) type, 1st try. So now I will cut it behind the mid-rail supports,and than add 2" +/- to the (new) rear legs w/t
leftover rail-stock.I know I may have a lot of work ahead of me to get this right
i.e. headliner,mounting issues like the rain-slots will line up w/t the mounting screws,painting and possibly some wind noise issues? I figured I got the rack for fairly cheep, and except the welding I would do the rest of the work myself, over a few days....(I hope). Is this a decent Ideal? What do you think?

Any input would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Thomas

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've been wondering how much it would cost to add a roof rack to my '04 KC (bought 2 weeks ago). Maybe I'll learn something here.

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
its definitely going to look unique. post up some pics.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Frontier club requirement!

You cannot say you are going to mod something, do it and then not show pictures. It's a good way to get a beat down.

·
Banned
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I was trying to get the best of...both, I would really like to do more w/t less,if I can..
cutting/fabricating, on Sunday.. (i hope)..paint/installing by end of the month.... some picts should be up by next month?... If I don't freeze [email protected] by then...

Thomas

·
Banned
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
XE upgrades part deux

Hi folks,

Well, after months of saving,planning... I have the AC 3" lift installed w/t
33" BF TA KO's. I would have taken on the install myself,but... I am glad I didn't (I can do small things like the steering stabilizer and what not).
Anyhow, I want to thank a few peeps from the forum who provided some much needed "insight" to put this together.....I know I will have forgot some along the way...but : Fusion Fronty,Speedfoos,Aztec,Iron Grave,Roast~Beast
and the like.... "The Nissan" will be back in the shop as "somebody" forgot to include me S.S. brake lines:goodjob: and... my shop seemed to have forgot to install my HD tie-rod adjusters:crikey:..... as well as another couple cranks on the olde T-bars (^: and another alignment I think:fantastic:

Thanks,
Thomas

Attachments

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
hey man, how did you get off the headliner on your KC?

·
Banned
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Fusion,

last winter when I did the roof rack mod, I had a friend who.."had a friend"
who helped my w/t the interior work as I had read it was a P.I.T.A. so he pulled all the stuff around the edges(seat belt anchors,map lights,grab~bars) and stuck some center supports in, to get the torx bolts in...although he did have to use a self treader in two locations wayy up close to the windshield.... (some double bent metal) very close to w/s frame.... the rest of the bolt were "cake" as it were 5$ a pop @ nissan:crikey:
but it's totally solid..

Let me Know if you need some better info :hi:

Thanks.
Thomas

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Hi Fusion,

last winter when I did the roof rack mod, I had a friend who.."had a friend"
who helped my w/t the interior work as I had read it was a P.I.T.A. so he pulled all the stuff around the edges(seat belt anchors,map lights,grab~bars) and stuck some center supports in, to get the torx bolts in...although he did have to use a self treader in two locations wayy up close to the windshield.... (some double bent metal) very close to w/s frame.... the rest of the bolt were "cake" as it were 5$ a pop @ nissan:crikey:
but it's totally solid..

Let me Know if you need some better info :hi:

Thanks.
Thomas
thanks for the quick response, any idea on how he got all of this off?

i got a CC roof rack that im gonna slap on (cut it down to size and then re-weld it... ive had it for about a year now)

my main concern is trying to get all the trim off to get to the headliner, i have no idea where to start

·
Banned
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Fusion,

From what I know, my interior"tech' was pressed for time,but fairly efficient.
You must have seen the other roof rack mod write~ups by Iron grave /sly tuna
No? Anywho I copied those to print and gave the info to my "tech", it was installed in 3 hours. This was after we had cut the x-terra rack and added 2"
to the (new) rear legs of the rack, which are the (old) mid legs of the rack.
Again, I would have attempted this meself,but this was in Feb and.... some of the#@%$ that reside in my condo don't care much for D.I.Y. tactics..)^:
I'm pretty sure you would be fine w/t the install itself (knowing what you've done already).I think the seatbelt anchors were the crux of the install.... as well as a lot of patience/skill, which is obvious you posses...

Thanks,
Thomas

·
Registered
76 Posts
sorry for high jacking your thread here but do you guys know where i could get myself a cc roof rack? i have a really hard time finding that kinda stuff where i am and i really want one. again, sorry about the high jack :p

1 - 12 of 12 Posts