Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did my best to search for an answer and not start another thread...but no luck, so here it is. I am having several electrical issues.

1. I have a viper 474V keyfob with keyless lock and start. The power door locks will work with the remote, but only when the key is in the ignition and in the ON position. The door locks will lock and unlock with the door switch, but again only when the key is On. I have checked for a fuse in both boxes, but nothing is labeled "power locks," etc.

2. The dome light is not working, but ironically stopped working the same time that my door locks quit working. I haven't checked the bulb, but I think it is tied to something electrical.

3. The trip odometer resets every time the key is turned off.

So. I have tested my battery and it is good, I changed the battery in the key fob, and I have looked for a "door" or "lock" fuse. Im at the end of my troubleshooting for now.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Someone had a thread about a different electrical problem, tested the battery and it was fine, but eventually sorted the problem to a bad battery ground. Sorry if you already cleaned the terminals. On another note that also probably won't help, my wife had a lot of little electrical problems that were intermittent on her 2003 Mustang, it turned out to be the alternator, I know Ford uses a AC/DC alternator, our problem was with the AC part, even though it tested fine. Good luck.

·
Registered
337 Posts
No problem, I just have had things "test" right and still didn't work.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update!

I got behind the dash and found some shotty wiring for the after-market alarm. I cut the bad wire out and crimped in better connections. All of this was causing a 7.5 amp to blow, the Elec B fuse on the driver side fuse box. This fuse keeps power on to run door locks, dome light, and the trip meters. The amount of current flowing through this amp is roughly 26 on my multimeter, which I thought should be regulated to less than 7.5 amps. I have a 30 amp fuse that I put in which is holding for now but I don't think this is a good final solution. So I need some help from you guys.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I got behind the dash and found some shotty wiring for the after-market alarm. I cut the bad wire out and crimped in better connections. All of this was causing a 7.5 amp to blow, the Elec B fuse on the driver side fuse box. This fuse keeps power on to run door locks, dome light, and the trip meters. The amount of current flowing through this amp is roughly 26 on my multimeter, which I thought should be regulated to less than 7.5 amps. I have a 30 amp fuse that I put in which is holding for now but I don't think this is a good final solution. So I need some help from you guys.
I don't know much about electronics, they scare me. But if you put bigger fuse 30 vs 7.5, you could overload other things, like small gauge wires, that are not able to take the extra voltage/amperage.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts