Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got a 2003 xe 2.4 with 255000 miles. got this truck for free from wifes boss. start runs smooth replacved spark plugs changed oil. filled up tank and 180miles later i got 1/4 tank left. i drive it like a old lady. ses is on for the egr and catayst bank lean. could those problems cause bad mileage or what?

·
Registered
137 Posts
250k It could be a lot of things. Is it throwing any codes? I would start with ignition air intake or exhaust. I would probably make sure its got a good air filter and change the cats. If has never had the cats replaced that could very well be your problem.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
2003 w 250K? Crap mine only has 65,000. Where do you drive to?

Anyhow I agree the first thing is to correct in CELs. Then you may want to check the CATs.

·
Premium Member
959 Posts
You got a free truck with a quarter of a million miles on it and your complaining about 13 miles to the gallon??? If you got 16 out of an 03 that was brand new you would be doing great, drive it and enjoy.

·
Registered
939 Posts
have you actually checked your mileage? when you hit empty with a 2.4 liter frontier, you have about a quarter tank left. 180 miles with a quarter tank showing sounds about right to me.

·
Registered
2020 Toyota 4runner TRDOR
4,593 Posts
You got a free truck with a quarter of a million miles on it and your complaining about 13 miles to the gallon??? If you got 16 out of an 03 that was brand new you would be doing great, drive it and enjoy.
if he had the v6.
really tho, 13 may not be that far off if your doing a lot of stop and go driving in town.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Yep I got a 03 frontier and drive about 230 miles a week. I fill the tank every weekend so I'll tell you how my truck drives to give you a idea. Full tank I hardly drive 40 miles a quarter a tank gone, gasp then I drive along all week and before you know it I got 180 to 200 miles and yea I'm at a quarter tank then I take my weekend trip to my father in laws and back and have around 220 to 240 miles takes 9.5 to 10.5 gallons to fill up. That's around 22 to 24 miles per gallon. Depends on how much traffic I hit and how hard I run the AC. Not bad as far as I'm concerned, remember these trucks don't have large gas tanks. I drive about half heavy city traffic, have 52,000 miles on truck. Get the code that the ses is throwing and I may be able to give you some advise.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
wasnt complaing just curious. i've got an 08.5 titan modded to the tune of 342.6 rwhp and get 380 miles from 28gals. the original window sticker is in glove box states 20 and 23. the was a delivery truck for a pharmacy and i'm sure it wasn't babied like i baby mine. i only drive 30 miles a day 5 days a week to work and back just thought a 2.4 would get as little better mileage

was a delivery truck for a pharmacy my wife bookkeeps at. i got it wrecked and put about $900 in it core support radiator horn and set of tires. i've only put 200 miles on it myself

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well i filled it up today 196 on trip and 9.3 gallons to fill it up = 21 mpg. a whole lot better that i thought it was getting still better that the 12 to 15 my titan gets

·
Registered
148 Posts
That's about what I get 50/50 hwy/city, if a get a week with lite traffic and no ac i get a little over 24. The best cheap stuff you can do FUEL FILTER, air filter , pcv valve, change the oil in your differential, change the oil, pressure up the tires 30/ 35 psi. Now the question can you break 400,000.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i bet i baby it a little more than the delivery drivers ever thought about. i don't drive very far my 08 titan has 26000 after 21/2 years my motorcycle has 5200 after 3 years so it may be a while but with some tlc it will make it

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
21 is low (depends on driving style and location), but 25 is about what others reported their 4cyls at. These are heavy trucks for their size.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
it does have a quarter of a million miles on it so i'm done being concerned til blows up or wheels fall off

·
Registered
538 Posts
In response to gas milage on vechicles over 150000 miles . I had a 1994 with 178000 miles onit I was getting between 19-20 miles per gallon, city or highway it didnt matter . When it was new i got around 24 it was a automatic. I called up nissan and they told me, probally I have lower compression on older motors which is common, thease trucks have continous fuel injection which means as the motor gets older gas mialage will go down .

·
Registered
939 Posts
In response to gas milage on vechicles over 150000 miles . I had a 1994 with 178000 miles onit I was getting between 19-20 miles per gallon, city or highway it didnt matter . When it was new i got around 24 it was a automatic. I called up nissan and they told me, probally I have lower compression on older motors which is common, thease trucks have continous fuel injection which means as the motor gets older gas mialage will go down .
i have a '94 with 400,000 miles and it still gets mid 20's. the mileage did drop once but a new o2 sensor fixed that

the old truck gets 2-3 better mpg than my '04 to this day, primarily because the newer one is much heavier

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
most of your compression loss should be first 30K miles.
If you have lost 5 mpg over 175K miles, I would start looking at maintenance and mechanical issues. burnt valve, fouled injector, worn bearing, transmission issue.
I have 160K on my gen 1, according to my spreadsheet, I went from just over 20 mpg to just under 20 mpg on average. occational spikes higher and lower. not bad considering I get a seasonal 2 to 3 mpg swing.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Run a can of Seafoam thru it and change the fuel filter, you might see some improvements from that as well. Hey 250k miles and free, can't beat that and great to see its still on the road.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Is it a manual or auto tranny?
21 is definently inline for that truck.

My manual 4 cyl averages 21 /22 in the city.
On my recent 500+ mile round trip to and from the Smryna Nissan plant I averaged 25 mpg.

That was with speeds of 75 and 80mph

1 - 18 of 18 Posts