Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought my first frontier back in August, came with a 3" calmini suspension lift as well as a 3" body lift and i have a few questions for you guys. First of all I replaced all my shocks front and back with some ranchos when I bought the truck but am still noticing some sag in the front. Wondering if I just need to tighten up my torsion bars in the front or if there is any kind of front shock that will lift the front up a bit. Next question is about tires, I was looking at getting some 33s for the truck but also had 35s on my mind. Really stuck on what size to go with. And last but not least I've been noticing what looks to be a power steering leak from what I think is my steering rack (leaking from piece on bottom right of my engine bay, truck is a 3.3L) have any of you had this issues as well, steering is very stiff when not moving. Would really like some of your guys opinions and input on some of my many situations! Still kinda new to the truck and would love to learn some more! Will include a picture of my rig as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

· Premium Member
1,588 Posts
Welcome to Club Frontier. You might want to repost your question on the 1st Gen forums .... it may get missed here in the introductions
Good looking truck

· Registered
1,901 Posts
Cool truck.

Shocks do nothing for how high the truck sits. They are simply there to smooth out the ride. If you want the front to be higher you’ll have to tighten the torsion bar adjusters. Your truck doesn’t have a steering “rack” that’s a different steering setup. It has a “steering gear” which is the big part with hoses, steering column, and pitman arm attached to. You should try to determine exactly where the leak is coming from before anyone can give advise. It could be a number of different things like the hose fittings, hoses themselves, or a shaft seal.

35s will probably be a pretty tight fit which might require you to do some fender and bumper trimming.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool truck.

Shocks do nothing for how high the truck sits. They are simply there to smooth out the ride. If you want the front to be higher you’ll have to tighten the torsion bar adjusters. Your truck doesn’t have a steering “rack” that’s a different steering setup. It has a “steering gear” which is the big part with hoses, steering column, and pitman arm attached to. You should try to determine exactly where the leak is coming from before anyone can give advise. It could be a number of different things like the hose fittings, hoses themselves, or a shaft seal.

35s will probably be a pretty tight fit which might require you to do some fender and bumper trimming.

Steering gear seems to be leaking from the top, where I circled on the picture. Would I be better off ordering a seal kit or replacing the whole thing?

· Registered
164 Posts
Looking on Rockauto.com you can get the input shaft seal, or the output shaft seal, or the whole seal kit for under $20. I've never done it so I can't say to the difficulty. The complete gear box is a rebuild anywhere from $140-$200 plus core.

· Premium Member
3,928 Posts
Keep in mind when you adjust the torsion bars, it also changes your camber settings, so a wheel alignment will be needed once you achieve your desired ride height so you don't tear up your tires.

· Registered
16 Posts
Bought my first frontier back in August, came with a 3" calmini suspension lift as well as a 3" body lift and i have a few questions for you guys. First of all I replaced all my shocks front and back with some ranchos when I bought the truck but am still noticing some sag in the front. Wondering if I just need to tighten up my torsion bars in the front or if there is any kind of front shock that will lift the front up a bit. Next question is about tires, I was looking at getting some 33s for the truck but also had 35s on my mind. Really stuck on what size to go with. And last but not least I've been noticing what looks to be a power steering leak from what I think is my steering rack (leaking from piece on bottom right of my engine bay, truck is a 3.3L) have any of you had this issues as well, steering is very stiff when not moving. Would really like some of your guys opinions and input on some of my many situations! Still kinda new to the truck and would love to learn some more! Will include a picture of my rig as well.

Like the look of that truck. What brand is that front bumper bar? It looks good

1 - 10 of 10 Posts