Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. R. J. here. I need to replace my safety netrural switch. I have a new OEM one on hand. One tranny shop said that they would do it for $80. So off I went.When they put my truck on the lift they then told me that they would not do the work so I want to do it myself. I've wathed some videos. None go into enough detail. Do I need to remove the left cat to get to it. Do I need to drop the pan. One guy said I do another said I don't. Once on does it need aligned. Do I need to lower the tranny a bit.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
One guy said something about removing a roll pin after removing the tranny pan.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Does the new switch look like this? I pulled this picture off the web, but Nissan parts can be very confusing; like the switch for a transmission for 4-cylinder engines can be different than ones for V6.

If so, I cannot see why the harness cannot be disconnected and then the old switch merely unscrewed, and the new switch screwed in.

I did see this diagram online, which does show a roll pin, but not sure which Nissan this applies to. Besides, what mechanic cannot R&R a roll pin??? I just R&R'd one last week replacing an internal distributor oil seal on my '88 Mazda truck.

You should be able to download the PDF chapters for your 2003 service manual here

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does the new switch look like this? I pulled this picture off the web, but Nissan parts can be very confusing; like the switch for a transmission for 4-cylinder engines can be different than ones for V6.

If so, I cannot see why the harness cannot be disconnected and then the old switch merely unscrewed, and the new switch screwed in.

I did see this diagram online, which does show a roll pin, but not sure which Nissan this applies to. Besides, what mechanic cannot R&R a roll pin??? I just R&R'd one last week replacing an internal distributor oil seal on my '88 Mazda truck.

You should be able to download the PDF chapters for your 2003 service manual here
The manual does not go into enough 20210113_092139[1].jpg 20210113_092224[1].jpg 20210113_092049[1].jpg
20210113_092005[1].jpg
detail on what needs done before getting to the netural safety switch.I don't want to remove parts that I don't need to. I need step by step instructions

·
Super Moderator
3,333 Posts
You have to drop the trans pan and you'll see a small roll pin that has to be removed from the selector shaft. That will allow the selector shaft to slide out and give you enough room to get the neutral-safety switch out from behind it. So, you'll need in addition to the switch, about 6-7 quarts of NissanMatic Type "D" compatible transmission fluid and a trans pan gasket. If you want to do it "by the book," Nissan also wants you to replace the 21 trans pan bolts, which come from Nissan with sealant applied to them. TIP: To make it easier to install the new subharness, I would cut the old subharness at the switch and tie the end of the new subharness to it. Then, I would use the old subharness to "fish" the new harness up to the engine compartment. Make sure you unplug the old subharness from the main harness or disconnect the battery before you do this to prevent a short. The bolt holes of the switch are oval-shaped to provide for adjustment as needed after the installation.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks so very much. So no need to remove the left cat to get to the switch.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks so very much. So no need to remove the left cat to get to the switch.
Yesterday morning at 6 AM I attempted to replace my netural safety switch. The roll pin was stuck so I put my truck on my car hauler and took it to EURO JAP of Orange Ciy FL. It yook them 7 hours to do the job. They charged me $320 labor,

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Yesterday morning at 6 AM I attempted to replace my netural safety switch. The roll pin was stuck so I put my truck on my car hauler and took it to EURO JAP of Orange Ciy FL. It yook them 7 hours to do the job. They charged me $320 labor,
Wow, 7 hours. Apparently you just paid the flat rate, worked out good for you this time. Not so sure this design was Nissan's best engineering.....

I might've bypassed the switch if my truck.

·
Super Moderator
3,333 Posts
Yeah, that's not uncommon. The roll pin is so small that it is easy to break if you're not extra careful. Jatco should have just machined a groove into the shaft and used a metal "E" clip on it, originally.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts